mtbr member
    Jul 2010

fox or rockshox?

So me and my friend are arguing about which fork is better. I KNOW ITS STUPID! But I am actually slightly curious. So rockshox revelation RL 140mm, or Fox 32 Float RL 150mm. Just overall quality/feel.

Just Ride !
    I have a 09 revelation 140mm . Love that fork and I'm not exactly nice to it, owned it for a year now and just as plush as when it was new.. I think come winter I'm going to have it pushed
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Revelation is a great fork. Rock Shox also has better customer service should you need it.

wuss
    If the Float RL 140 I had a year ago is anything to go by then for sure the Revelation. I've had good luck with Fox Van forks, but the Floats have had a lot of stiction and not managed to use close to all the travel.

I'll admit I did not open up the Float to see if it was completely dry, and the last Van RC2 I had required lubing to "wake up" so it could be that the same thing was going on with the Float.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have float rlc and my dad has revelation
    both are super smooth, no stiction at all in either of them
    I cant get full travel with my float, and I didn't try it with the revelation.
    but most people complain float's cant get full travel, didn't see similar complaints on the revelation.

the revelation feels much stiffer but this may be due to the fact that my dad's revelation has QR20 dropouts (which fox doesn't even offer) and crank brothers wheels. and I have 9mm dropouts.

the revelation seems to be more adjustable having 2 air chambers.
    you can adjust positive/negative air pressures and tweak the bump small sensitivity.

ps.
    I have 09 float (no fit dumper or kashima coat)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use Rock Shox on my bike and like them. My wife uses Fox and she likes them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah thanks for the feedback guys, I have the rockshox revelation. LOVE them. Always been a fan of fox but I'm thinking between the two definitely rockshox revelation!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Rock Shox also has better customer service should you need it.
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said. Too bad the shop I bought it from went out of business, and the other shop in town wasn't exactly thrilled about performing warranty service on a fork they didn't sell, which Rock Shox will not reimburse them for btw. Rock Shox customer service is non existent.
    When I had a problem with a USED Fox fork, they were happy to answer questions for me over the phone and sell me parts I needed.

mtbr member
    You're going to get equal votes from both camps. All my bikes lately have rockshox forks and they are great, their service/warranty department has been great. I've found the dual air forks are especially easy to fine tune to your preference and to seamlessly balance with your rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    One more point you can consider: are you planning to do you self the maintenance in future.
    If that is the case I feel Fox has more instruction in the web and there are more forums about how do the maintenance for the FOX forks.
    I have done myself for TALAS and FLOAT (not FIT).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said. Too bad the shop I bought it from went out of business, and the other shop in town wasn't exactly thrilled about performing warranty service on a fork they didn't sell, which Rock Shox will not reimburse them for btw. Rock Shox customer service is non existent.
    When I had a problem with a USED Fox fork, they were happy to answer questions for me over the phone and sell me parts I needed.
    +1. Its great when you can go directly to the mfg and get a part or answer without dealing with a middleman.
    I know the middleman way of doing things works for autos, but not so much for bikes/parts.
    I guess I'm just so used to RMA/warranty service in the IT world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    rock, all the way

just ride
    Oct 2006
    I have AM-HT with 150mm RS Revelation forks at 70/75 psi... My friends has FOX 140mm float at 50/55, 60/60, 70/75 and 45/45 (lower settings) settings and their bikes and are full suspension. After or sometimes during our descend on a very technical track with drops, ruts, roots, etc... their hands, wrist, arm hurts and mine doesnt at all. The fox float also doesn't seem to have the small bump compliance like the RS rev.

Unfortunately I bought a SC Nickel that comes with Float. Now I'm scared to suffer from these pains that they're having. We'll see though...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Magura

Rocker
    Rockshox all the way!! I have a float 32 150mm and is blows goats..
    Like really, if i ride by a field of goats the fork unmounts itself and goes and sucks off the goats..
    The fork is super sticky, you cant get it dialed in, and it just sucks ass..
    Cant wait to get a rev or lyric
    Turn up the METAL and RIDE!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RocknRide View Post
    is blows goats..
    it just sucks ass..
    So it sucks and blows at the same time?

J:
    No E-Drive
    Dec 2009

Have to rock the schwartz to go from suck to blow

mtbr member
    I own and ride both (2010 RS Revelation 150MM and a 2010 Fox Float 36 160mm) and have no complaints with either. Both are solid performers.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

nocturnal oblivion
    The Revelation, both in performance and maintenance.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    been very happy with my float. Havnt really ridden anything else othre than fox tho so i dont have lot to compare too. But for what i do the float has taken it all in stride.

EDR
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said.
    Never had such a problem. I've talked at length 3 times with RS c/s on the phone. They were very helpful each and every time. True, you need to go thru a lbs for warranty service but ANY shop with an association with them (every lbs?) is authorized to perform warranty work....your shop was blowing smoke or was just clueless. Not unusual I suppose.

Anyhow that's just my experience.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Fox by a mile...

But maybe it's all the crap RS made in the late '90s that's altering my point of view.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti View Post
    Fox by a mile...

But maybe it's all the crap RS made in the late '90s that's altering my point of view.
    Your point of view is altered. Current RS is great.

I rather be cycling...
    I have a Magura Thor 140am, a Fox Float RL 140 and a Rock Suxs Revelation u-turn dual air 110-140

magura and fox, waaaaaaay better than the Rock shox...

but that is only my opinion, some people love rock shox
    Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Your point of view is altered. Current RS is great.
    Yeah, yeah. I've got a 2010 Reba on one of my bikes. The quality and attention to detail of the internal parts is only about 80% of Fox.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Yeah, yeah. I've got a 2010 Reba on one of my bikes. The quality and attention to detail of the internal parts is only about 80% of Fox.
    Yeah, especially pre-2012 Fox seals are just great..

All 26.5" all the time!
    Yeah, especially pre-2012 Fox seals are just great..
    I'll admit the maintenance requirements are a bit higher, but it's worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Short travel 100mm Reba's ride better than 100mm Fox's plush and limited brake dive being my main criteria, but as the travel goes up to 150mm area the fox's have a more linear action better damping and more controlled.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'll admit the maintenance requirements are a bit higher, but it's worth it to me.
    Higher maintenance, sticky cartridge, not getting full travel.. But somehow still better. Not sure that I understand the reasoning.

Well, RS indeed was crap for many years, and Fox claim that they fixed many issues now - have not had a chance to check it out. I ride three different Magura forks though (and two RS) nowadays...

Anyway, if I was buying a new one right now, I would just look for the best deal, not brand.. They all work fine enough..

All 26.5" all the time!
    Higher maintenance, sticky cartridge, not getting full travel.. .
    Have not had a chance to test the FIT cartridge, but the open bath versions have always been silky smoth to me.

wuss
    Have not had a chance to test the FIT cartridge, but the open bath versions have always been silky smoth to me.
    Every single suspension tuner I've spoken with (some internationally acclaimed) have mentioned the high stiction in the FIT damper. I felt the same with both my last float 140 and van rc2 (maybe it's better for 2012).

If I got another Fox (and I could do it) I would probably go for the basic Van R to have the open bath damper.

mtbr member
    Nice job Rockshox!!!

Press Release: Free RockShox Service Parts - Press Releases - Vital MTB

We all have one friend who is good at doing the right thing: going to the dentist, cleaning gutters, changing their oil, eating right. The rest of us struggle to put in the effort to do these things we know we should. When it comes time to do the right thing for your suspension, RockShox is now making that easier by including the parts for your first service at no charge, a retail value ranging from $9 to $40 (USD).

Regularly serviced suspension not only lives longer, but more importantly absorbs bumps better. We recognize the impor- tance of regular service when it comes to maintaining fork and shock performance, and we appreciate the investment you’ve made in our product. To help you have the best experience with your RockShox suspension during its life, we are providing all of the seals (dust wipers, foam rings, as well as air and oil sealing O-rings) needed to conduct your fork or air shock’s first service. These first free service parts are available now and currently shipping with every premium aftermarket suspension product.

Refer to your RockShox Users Manual or RockShox.com to see the recommended service interval for your product. Once your RockShox requires its first service, stop by your dealer to set up an appointment to get the work done. While these parts are free, your dealer’s time may not be - please check with your dealer for an estimate for your total service cost.

Premium aftermarket RockShox air shocks now including your first service parts for free:
    • Ario
    • Monarch
    • Monarch Plus
    • Vivid Air

Premium aftermarket RockShox forks now including your first service parts for free:
    • Recon Silver
    • Recon Gold
    • Reba
    • SID
    • Revelation
    • Sektor
    • Domain
    • Domain Dual Crown
    • Lyrik
    • Totem
    • Argyle
    • Boxxer
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Every single suspension tuner I've spoken with (some internationally acclaimed) have mentioned the high stiction in the FIT damper. I felt the same with both my last float 140 and van rc2 (maybe it's better for 2012).

If I got another Fox (and I could do it) I would probably go for the basic Van R to have the open bath damper.
    If this is the case, why bother w/ either brand and not go for Marz?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Double-metric mtb man
    I've had very good luck with both Rock Shox and Fox products. My '09 Float 130 wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination and my only qualms were from the number of adjustments my particular model had (it was an OEM).

I'm currently running a Rock Shox fork and it is proving to be very good and dependable as well.

I'm with Jason B...both are good So quit arguing and go ride
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Machinist
    guess I'm old cause the last time I tested Rock Shox was on a Schwinn hardtail built by Control Tech sportin a Mag 21 lol

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    If this is the case, why bother w/ either brand and not go for Marz?
    Marz are weird. I really felt my old Z1 FR1 had potential, but I could not get a spring light enough for it, and at 70KG I found that to be really odd. Add to that, that it was pretty much impossible to get help from anyone (Marz, the importer etc) regarding the issue and I just got fed up.

I don't really know what they are offering over the rest, but support here in Europe seems sketchy at best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Marz are weird. I really felt my old Z1 FR1 had potential, but I could not get a spring light enough for it, and at 70KG I found that to be really odd. Add to that, that it was pretty much impossible to get help from anyone (Marz, the importer etc) regarding the issue and I just got fed up.

I don't really know what they are offering over the rest, but support here in Europe seems sketchy at best.
    If you're in the 150mm market, look at the '11 44 Micro Air Ti, or the '10 55 Micro Air Ti (160mm).
    The air Marz offers is so different than the Fox offering...it's pretty stiff initially, but there's no stiction!?!? But once you break it loose, it's incredibly smooth and quite linear so you'll get full travel. After I took my '10 55 Micro Air Ti (mounted on a Nomad MK1) out for a day at Trestle Bike Park, that initial stickiness was gone and it's just stoopid smooth! But, it's got a 1/2 lb on my old 36 Fox Float RC2 ('07 model).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    So far I haven't been impressed with my 2009 Float 140 RL. Came stock on my 2009 Cannondale which I bought new in January of this year. It had to be sent back to Fox for bushing replacement in March after maybe 20 rides. The right side was sloppy and you could hear a noise like a headset knock.

Since then, it's been just "OK". I recently did an oil service/rebuild because of excess stiction and harsh small bump sensitivity. The rebuild has only partially solved the problem and every couple of rides I have to put some stanchion lube on it to get smooth action in the first part of the travel. My old RS Tora solo air had better small bump sensitivity, about the same feel otherwise, but is $200 less. I don't hate the Fox, but it seems overpriced based on my experience.

Santa may be bringing me a Sektor Coil or Revelation. The extra 1/2 pound of the coil fork is a small price to pay for smooth action and a more linear spring curve.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masm71 View Post
    One more point you can consider: are you planning to do you self the maintenance in future.
    If that is the case I feel Fox has more instruction in the web and there are more forums about how do the maintenance for the FOX forks.
    I have done myself for TALAS and FLOAT (not FIT).
    I was about to say the same thing about Rockshox. SRAM's website has full exploded diagrams of all past RS forks with part numbers that you can take to any LBS to order.

Great videos from SRAM Tech on youtube about servicing components and very thorough service manuals on their website.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    If you're in the 150mm market, look at the '11 44 Micro Air Ti, or the '10 55 Micro Air Ti (160mm).
    The air Marz offers is so different than the Fox offering...it's pretty stiff initially, but there's no stiction!?!? But once you break it loose, it's incredibly smooth and quite linear so you'll get full travel. After I took my '10 55 Micro Air Ti (mounted on a Nomad MK1) out for a day at Trestle Bike Park, that initial stickiness was gone and it's just stoopid smooth! But, it's got a 1/2 lb on my old 36 Fox Float RC2 ('07 model).
    If I was to get a fork now it would be 180mm. If I wanted something heavy I could get a totem for 30% cheaper then anything else. I could almost get a Bos n'dee for what the high end Marz cost (ok, easier to find discounts for Marz).

mtbr member
    Brown Santa delivered a Sektor Coil RL U-Turn 150mm this morning, along with a new wheelset. Should be a nice upgrade (140-150mm, 9mm QR -> 15 TA). My current Fox Float 140 RL runs a bit rough over bumps, moreso even than my 100mm Tora TK Coil. I'm hoping this Sektor will bring me buttery smooth suspension, reduced noodly-ness, and still have decent damping.

Anyone have info on the Motion Control damping vs. Fox Float damping?
    "Got everything you need?"