Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

fox or rockshox?

So me and my friend are arguing about which fork is better. I KNOW ITS STUPID! But I am actually slightly curious. So rockshox revelation RL 140mm, or Fox 32 Float RL 150mm. Just overall quality/feel.

mtbr member
    I have a 09 revelation 140mm . Love that fork and I'm not exactly nice to it, owned it for a year now and just as plush as when it was new.. I think come winter I'm going to have it pushed
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Revelation is a great fork. Rock Shox also has better customer service should you need it.

wuss
    If the Float RL 140 I had a year ago is anything to go by then for sure the Revelation. I've had good luck with Fox Van forks, but the Floats have had a lot of stiction and not managed to use close to all the travel.

I'll admit I did not open up the Float to see if it was completely dry, and the last Van RC2 I had required lubing to "wake up" so it could be that the same thing was going on with the Float.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have float rlc and my dad has revelation
    both are super smooth, no stiction at all in either of them
    I cant get full travel with my float, and I didn't try it with the revelation.
    but most people complain float's cant get full travel, didn't see similar complaints on the revelation.

the revelation feels much stiffer but this may be due to the fact that my dad's revelation has QR20 dropouts (which fox doesn't even offer) and crank brothers wheels. and I have 9mm dropouts.

the revelation seems to be more adjustable having 2 air chambers.
    you can adjust positive/negative air pressures and tweak the bump small sensitivity.

ps.
    I have 09 float (no fit dumper or kashima coat)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use Rock Shox on my bike and like them. My wife uses Fox and she likes them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah thanks for the feedback guys, I have the rockshox revelation. LOVE them. Always been a fan of fox but I'm thinking between the two definitely rockshox revelation!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Rock Shox also has better customer service should you need it.
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said. Too bad the shop I bought it from went out of business, and the other shop in town wasn't exactly thrilled about performing warranty service on a fork they didn't sell, which Rock Shox will not reimburse them for btw. Rock Shox customer service is non existent.
    When I had a problem with a USED Fox fork, they were happy to answer questions for me over the phone and sell me parts I needed.

mtbr member
    You're going to get equal votes from both camps. All my bikes lately have rockshox forks and they are great, their service/warranty department has been great. I've found the dual air forks are especially easy to fine tune to your preference and to seamlessly balance with your rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    One more point you can consider: are you planning to do you self the maintenance in future.
    If that is the case I feel Fox has more instruction in the web and there are more forums about how do the maintenance for the FOX forks.
    I have done myself for TALAS and FLOAT (not FIT).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said. Too bad the shop I bought it from went out of business, and the other shop in town wasn't exactly thrilled about performing warranty service on a fork they didn't sell, which Rock Shox will not reimburse them for btw. Rock Shox customer service is non existent.
    When I had a problem with a USED Fox fork, they were happy to answer questions for me over the phone and sell me parts I needed.
    +1. Its great when you can go directly to the mfg and get a part or answer without dealing with a middleman.
    I know the middleman way of doing things works for autos, but not so much for bikes/parts.
    I guess I'm just so used to RMA/warranty service in the IT world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    rock, all the way

just ride
    Oct 2006
    I have AM-HT with 150mm RS Revelation forks at 70/75 psi... My friends has FOX 140mm float at 50/55, 60/60, 70/75 and 45/45 (lower settings) settings and their bikes and are full suspension. After or sometimes during our descend on a very technical track with drops, ruts, roots, etc... their hands, wrist, arm hurts and mine doesnt at all. The fox float also doesn't seem to have the small bump compliance like the RS rev.

Unfortunately I bought a SC Nickel that comes with Float. Now I'm scared to suffer from these pains that they're having. We'll see though...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Magura

Rocker
    Rockshox all the way!! I have a float 32 150mm and is blows goats..
    Like really, if i ride by a field of goats the fork unmounts itself and goes and sucks off the goats..
    The fork is super sticky, you cant get it dialed in, and it just sucks ass..
    Cant wait to get a rev or lyric
    Turn up the METAL and RIDE!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RocknRide View Post
    is blows goats..
    it just sucks ass..
    So it sucks and blows at the same time?

mtbr member

Have to rock the schwartz to go from suck to blow

Team Chilidog!
    I had no problems with the RS Totem I had a couple of years ago. I would take the Boxxer over the 40 any day.

That said, for the shorter travel (160 or lower), I go with Fox. I like the Fox 36 Float (it can be lowered to 100mm in the 160mm version) for a fork with a lot of stiffness and it's not heavy for what it is. It's not the 32, but I'm not impressed with the 15mm TA. Never a maintenance problem with the Fox forks, especially with the Kashima coating (no stiction). For the RS offerings, I didn't have a lot of good luck (lots of maintenance issues) with the Pike (constantly drying out internal seals).

For rear shocks, I have a RS Monarch Plus. Better than any Fox, air or coil. For the rear, the best shock is the CCDB. Waiting to see what happens with the CCDB air for a year.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    I own and ride both (2010 RS Revelation 150MM and a 2010 Fox Float 36 160mm) and have no complaints with either. Both are solid performers.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

nocturnal oblivion
    The Revelation, both in performance and maintenance.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    been very happy with my float. Havnt really ridden anything else othre than fox tho so i dont have lot to compare too. But for what i do the float has taken it all in stride.

EDR
    Really? Last time I had a warranty problem with Rock Shox they wouldn't even talk to me on the phone. "Take it to a shop" they said.
    Never had such a problem. I've talked at length 3 times with RS c/s on the phone. They were very helpful each and every time. True, you need to go thru a lbs for warranty service but ANY shop with an association with them (every lbs?) is authorized to perform warranty work....your shop was blowing smoke or was just clueless. Not unusual I suppose.

Anyhow that's just my experience.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Fox by a mile...

But maybe it's all the crap RS made in the late '90s that's altering my point of view.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti View Post
    Fox by a mile...

But maybe it's all the crap RS made in the late '90s that's altering my point of view.
    Your point of view is altered. Current RS is great.

I rather be cycling...
    I have a Magura Thor 140am, a Fox Float RL 140 and a Rock Suxs Revelation u-turn dual air 110-140

magura and fox, waaaaaaay better than the Rock shox...

but that is only my opinion, some people love rock shox
    Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast