mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Fox kashima coating and other features worth it?

Hello everyone.

I've put down money on a Trek slash 8 which comes with a fox 36 talas, as opposed to the 36 talas FIT RLC with kashima on the slash 9.

Do you guys think the fork on the 9 is that much better? I would have to wait 2 months and spend $1200 more to get it. The other deciding factor is a fox RP2 instead of a RP3 on the slash 9.

I have 0 experience with dual suspension bikes. I'm doing some solid downhill stuff, but nothing super crazy. I would like to be able to take this bike to a lift place once or twice a year, but I don't mind going slow

I am also open to replacing the fork after a year or 2 of riding.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    It is not 2 month (remaining in the season) and $1200 better. Next time you service the fork (in a year) get the new Fox's (or Enduro's) seals. Better make sure bike fits well (could be replacing saddle, stem length...).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wouldn't worry about not having the Kashima coated stanchions..... performance wise,the only thing your going to feel is SLIGHTLY more small bump compliance in witch you can get close to with Fox's new seals.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by A2k Mike View Post
    I wouldn't worry about not having the Kashima coated stanchions..... performance wise,the only thing your going to feel is SLIGHTLY more small bump compliance in witch you can get close to with Fox's new seals.
    On the other hand, if his lower end fork is open bath R, it seemed to me that it more then compensates for the Kashima, as FIT damper seem to add a bit of stickiness. R ain't as tunable as FIT, but it may not matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ya that is very true. I can testify about the "sticky" characteristics of the FIT dampener because i just spent last weekend demo'ing a bike that had a FIT equipped fork.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    On the other hand, if his lower end fork is open bath R, it seemed to me that it more then compensates for the Kashima, as FIT damper seem to add a bit of stickiness. R ain't as tunable as FIT, but it may not matter.
    I have a 2011 float 36r and a 2012 float 36 rlc fit w/kashima. I can say from experience that the the latter has absolutely zero stiction. I love the low speed compression adj on the rlc fit. Made my bike feel like a finely tuned machine on the trail vs a big heavy monster truck. OP if finances allow, buy as much bike as you can up front.

Also, 2012 fit damper equipped forks also feature a new/improved seal in the damper istelf. This may remedy some stiction in earlier forks as I have not ridden a pre-2012 fit equipped fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter95 View Post
    I have a 2011 float 36r and a 2012 float 36 rlc fit w/kashima. I can say from experience that the the latter has absolutely zero stiction. I love the low speed compression adj on the rlc fit. Made my bike feel like a finely tuned machine on the trail vs a big heavy monster truck. OP if finances allow, buy as much bike as you can up front.

Also, 2012 fit damper equipped forks also feature a new/improved seal in the damper istelf. This may remedy some stiction in earlier forks as I have not ridden a pre-2012 fit equipped fork.
    ok here's a question for you. If you could have a trek remedy with the fox 32 FIT RLC w/ kashima, or the slash with the 36 R, which would you go with? I weigh 205 FYI. These are the 2 bikes I am thinking of getting, since they both come out at the same time. I just don't think I can wait till december for the slash 9.

Also, the remedy is the 9.8 carbon fibre version. 27lbs vs 31.5

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider View Post
    ok here's a question for you. If you could have a trek remedy with the fox 32 FIT RLC w/ kashima, or the slash with the 36 R, which would you go with? I weigh 205 FYI. These are the 2 bikes I am thinking of getting, since they both come out at the same time. I just don't think I can wait till december for the slash 9.

When picking a bike, stanchion stiction is is somewhere down on my list of worries right before nipples color and seatpost collar design. They all work fairly well.

I can not even guess at an advice, as I have no idea how those bikes fit you and your riding. My pick would be to get the one now, and ride it.

So far, I do not like paying extra for carbon.

mtbr member
    The new SKF seals are going to make a bigger difference than having Kashima stanchions. Definitely do not install Enduro seals.
    Maintain internal heights.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22 View Post
    The new SKF seals are going to make a bigger difference than having Kashima stanchions. Definitely do not install Enduro seals.
    Enduro seals had been treating me well, but they are not the smoothest.

I have heard that they have improved FIT stickiness situation in 2012, never had a chance to try it out.

mtbr member
    2 months and 1200?? is trek high? I just got my Ibis mojo HD with 2012 rp23 kashima rear an talas kashima fork, no price increase and no wait over any of the other available forks....
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Get the slash 8. if you like the talas, stick with it. if you hate it, sell it for 600-700 dollars and use the money you got from selling the fork to buy a 2012 talas for about 1000, or you can get the 2012 float for even cheaper.
    That way you don't have to worry about the 2 months without the bike, and you get basically the same deal. don't worry too much about the rear shock, if you hate it, get it pushed, and it'll be better than anything fox has to offer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demorider View Post

@205# - you'll appreciate having a 20mm thru axle on a 36 more than that crappy 15mm axle on the 32.

But that isn't really the issue at hand. You are progressing as a rider, moving to a FS and doing some DH - get the bike that you will grow into more, the slash.

Fox forks were NEVER sticky due to the stanction coating, guys, we all know that. They've had notchyness and other issues plague them for years, and it wasn't the coating that was the problem.

Choosing between bikes based on stanction coatings is just silly - and one other poster nailed it. Don't like the factory fork? Take it off and sell it. A LOT easier than waiting to spend the money and giving up ride time during season!

Get the Slash if it fits you right and you are progressing/moving more to aggro riding as you said. I'd get the remedy only if I wanted to stay in the XC/AM realm.

Besides at 205#, you shouldn't really seek a sub 30lb bike if you are looking to not replace parts as you start riding more aggro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    2 months and 1200?? is trek high? I just got my Ibis mojo HD with 2012 rp23 kashima rear an talas kashima fork, no price increase and no wait over any of the other available forks....
    For the $1200 you get ALOT more than just upgrading the fork...you also get full XO, upgraded wheels, upgraded rear shock, carbon handlebars, and both shocks have kashima coating.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I agree with the wheels and the carbon handlebars, but... if you have a well tuned drivetrain that you maintain and lubricate well, and if you take your time getting the shifting working right, then the difference between X0 and X9 is pretty much weight only.
    example: i had a shimano slx rear derailleur that i broke off of a drop (and the rear axle and the wheel , so i upgraded it to a xtr derailleur. after fine tuning it, the difference between the 2 derailleurs was so minimal, that i wish i had gotten another slx and saved myself 100 dollars. Shifters were xt so that may be another reason.
    in the long run, upgrading components may be more expensive, but only upgrade if they are broken or don't perform well at all.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been on a 140mm TALAS RLC with Kashima & never felt anything I thought was stiction. It's always felt smooth. I changed the seals to Enduro's & I felt they were a bit sticky right after installing them when I rode it around in the street. First ride, they didn't take long at all to break in. The Kashima coating a year later still looks brand new.

If I had the money for another bike, I'd try another brand of fork like Marz or Fusion but I like my Fox, no complaints from me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

205= 36 talas > float

CharacterZero sounds right on, though are you sure you do much DH Demoridr?

Those bikes you chose are def for different types of riding.. 205 lbs you willl want the 36, convert it to float. It will have less of this stiction you're feeling than the talas. You will notice the change much more than kash and seals. Now if the Kash matches your color scheme, that's a whole other story.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should get a Kashima upgrade for my bike too