Thread: Fox Fork Choice

mtbr member

Fox Fork Choice

Ok so I have a 07 enduro
    Right now it has a 07 Talas R 36 (pre-fit cartridge)
    I dont use the travel adjustment on it, and it just isnt that plush. Also for being an air shock it isn't all that light.
    There are alot of deals on 08 fox stuff.

I'm thinking either the Float 36 RC2 which now weights 4.8
    or
    the Vanilla 36 RC which now weighs 5.2.

With the new FIT cart. is the Float more plush than it used to be? Or is the feel im looking for only going to come from a coil?

Thoughts other things I am over looking?

I've ridden a 36 Talas only a couple times, and wasn't impressed; reliability and servicing are also issues. Love the 36Van, but I'm just a coil fan after several disappointing air forks and shocks...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I went from a TALAS 36 to a Vanilla, no regrets. Vanilla is so much smoother. haven't missed the travel adjust yet.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

TLL
    mtbr member
    While there have been issues with the earlier TALAS getting stuck down, the later models (08 and later) seem to have most of the issues resolved. Granted, you have to make sure that Fox actually shipped the fork with oil, but once you fix that little problem . . .

I have an '08 and frankly am very happy with the fork, Not quite as plush as a coil, of course, but it is pretty smooth and I have had no issues whatsoever with the travel adjust. I have about 600 miles on mine.

Anyway, if you don't need the travel adjust go with the Float. Nice fork. If you want super plush and do not mind tinkering with springs, the Van is nice, but heavier.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    so 2 votes vanilla 1 vote float
    anyone else?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    seems like alot of people in those forums choose either the VAN or the TALAS,
    is the FLOAT a less better choice ?

If the travel adjust doesn't mean anything to you and you want an air fork, the Float is for you...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I love Pisgah
    I use a 140mm Float on a Motolite and love it. Lighter too.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I have the 09 36 Float RC2 and its awesome! I have always been on coil forks but this one has me convinced that air can awesome too.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

forget fox

fox are completely overrated in my opinion. i got some 06 36 talas rc2 and they just SUCK! i NEVER liked 'em, ever. the talas system is junk compared to ETA. my experiement with fox was a disaster, shoulda stuck with zocchi. now i got 55 ETA's and it's zocchi all da way, no looking back. so smooooove, so plush! also, i want some rad retro orange bombers; check out CRC.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    The 09 Fox's are a huge imporvement over the older models, and if travel adjust isnt required the float is a great choice, i'm waiting for my 36 floats to arrive.
    Just need to choose whether you want the hi/lo speed comp. adjust or not i.e. R or RC2.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    no offence, but people say that every year about the next fox line-up. "last year was sh!te but this year they're great..." i'm not doubting fox vanilla forks probably are great, but i won't be running out to buy another air shock, from ANY manufacturer, for a long while.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Actually,
    great that you like your Marzocchi! (and I am serious, good when you like what youīve got)

But a lot of people seem to hate their 2008 Marzocchis,
    the Foxes are loved.
    And I also love the Fox 36. I had all three 35 forks. Van/Talas/Float 2008. Just sold them and got a 2009 Talas, not because I didnīt like the 2008s, just got a great deal on the 2009 fork.

I actually think, that you canīt go wrong with either. The difference between those forks is really small.
    The Float had actually the best small bump sensitivity and the best big hit feeling. The Van was really nice and consistent for launching and preloading before drops/jumps and used actually all of itīs travel. And the Talas has a great travel adjust feature and the 2009 should feel a lot closer to a Float.

Weight is great on all forks. The Float can be lowered to 140/150mm depending on a-c you need. And the Van is absolutely bomb proof.
    But the Float should also provide great durability.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    went with the float 36. lost half pound. gained 10mm travel.
    Seems more plush than the 06 talas it replaced. and most important i got a good deal.

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    I say Vanilla! You can not beat coil! I used to be an air forker for a long time. They are just not as shooth or plush as coil! I actually went with a Pike 454 coil for my spot, it made me a coil believer! Maybe you should consider a Pike 454 coil! It weights in around 5lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    Ok so I have a 07 enduro
    Right now it has a 07 Talas R 36 (pre-fit cartridge)
    Sorry but Im confused. You say you have an 07 Talas which doesnt have a "fit cartridge". I have an 07 36 which does have a "fit cartridge". Yours sounds like the 06 version to me but I am really not sure??? Here is a picture of my cartridge which I swapped for the 08 version.

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG