Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    21

    Fox Float 32rlc vs. Marzocchi 55r

    I just bought an 08 specialized pitch and am deciding what fork to put on it. I currently have the fox on it and I am considering getting the 55r. The bike is incomplete so I haven't tested the fox i have yet. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Keep the Fox. The Marz damper is very simplistic, and not that impressive. The Fox is a better fork.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    87
    Is the Fox fork an 08 as well?
    I would ride the fork before you make any judgments on it. A 55 is going to be a step up in travel for sure but the fox forks feel so good that sometimes you can get away with a little less.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Inside the R you will find this... hatchback lift assist. Not exactly what I want to be riding on DH runs.


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Inside the R you will find this... hatchback lift assist. Not exactly what I want to be riding on DH runs.

    Just curious. What makes this part a bad thing to have on DH runs?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    It's made made by:

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    It's made made by:
    Does that make it a bad piece of hardware. Only reason I'm asking is, I have a 55R and just did a mod. on this part. The fork works really well now that I have it adjusted to my liking. Not trying to be a smartass or anything.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    I do like the 55TST2 if modded... My advise is to research the said fork.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    I do like the 55TST2 if modded... My advise is to research the said fork.
    Not sure what you mean. Sorry.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    You have no control over the rebound or compression.... it's a hatch back design made for cars. Sooner or later the R cartridge will blow... when it does just upgrade to the TST2.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    You have no control over the rebound or compression.... it's a hatch back design made for cars. Sooner or later the R cartridge will blow... when it does just upgrade to the TST2.
    Ok. I do have control of the rebound but not comp. Now that you mention it , does look like a HB cart. After doing the mod. to it , do I need to worry about it "blowing up" now?
    What does the TST2 do for you?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

  12. #12
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    but it's got fun written all over it
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Start here but don't stop here, keep digging and you will find a definitive answer:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/marzocchi-55-tst2-set-up-help-needed-393052-post4243747.html

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Mtn biking is FUN! So is working on bikes and bike parts

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    EVO with Marz 55

    I have a Marz 55R on my EVO - for the price it can't be beat. The 20mm hub is nice also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  16. #16
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    i have a fox, a marz, and a rock shox fork on my bikes. i can't vouch for the quality of the recent marzo offerings, but i can input on '07-'09 fox forks. simply put, they are my favourite. i like the way they look, i like the way they ride and i like their simplicity.

    by the way, i have the same rims, cranks and bash on my green + white bike.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    I like Marzocchi forks, just like some more than others. The 55 is a great fork for the money and I specifically like the 160MM TST2. It is an excellent fork but I don't like the R so much as it has some limiting factors. Best to mod the 55 TST IMO.

    Oh for those of you who have the 140MM R, it's easy to mod it to 160mm

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    I like Marzocchi forks, just like some more than others. The 55 is a great fork for the money and I specifically like the 160MM TST2. It is an excellent fork but I don't like the R so much as it has some limiting factors. Best to mod the 55 TST IMO.

    Oh for those of you who have the 140MM R, it's easy to mod it to 160mm
    I did do that. 140 to 160 mod. I personally like the 55, after the mods. I'm on a limited budget so the price was a deciding factor also. Thanx.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    37
    Check out the Rock Shox Domain. Inexpensive, simple, durable, works. Only downside is it's a heavy beast. Got mine for $225 though!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i can input on '07-'09 fox forks. simply put, they are my favourite. i like the way they look, i like the way they ride and i like their simplicity.

    Simplicity? What model are you talking about? Usually you can't get anything more complicated then a fox fork on a bike. Especially the Talas models and the DHX Air shock are a pure nightmare to service.
    Don't get me wrong here, i like fox forks, they perform really well on the trail. But in my opinion they have two drawbacks, price and service (un)friendlynes.

  21. #21
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Timer
    Simplicity? What model are you talking about? Usually you can't get anything more complicated then a fox fork on a bike. Especially the Talas models and the DHX Air shock are a pure nightmare to service.
    Don't get me wrong here, i like fox forks, they perform really well on the trail. But in my opinion they have two drawbacks, price and service (un)friendlynes.
    i run mainly float r models front and back.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,261
    Marzo lost the plot when they moved production from Italy to Taiwan. Any fork or shock of theirs I've ridden in the last few years has felt terrible.

    The Fox is a way better fork IMO, maybe a little flexy when really pushed hard but oh so plush !!!!

    Keep the fork you have and spend your money on other parts.

  23. #23
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    TST is the way to go.
    R is marz base model dampening system.

    Guess what guys, Sun Tour makes a sh!t ton of forks. (Even Fox internals! Giggity!)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  24. #24
    squish is good
    Reputation: Clutchman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    TST is the way to go.
    R is marz base model dampening system.

    Guess what guys, Sun Tour makes a sh!t ton of forks. (Even Fox internals! Giggity!)
    I was going to say, the 32 damper internals don't look that different than the SR cart that Marz puts in the 55r.

    Personally I think the 20mm and 35mm stanchions are worth the potential loss in the damper department. I'm not sure there is really much of a loss though. The 55r is one of the most underrated forks in this travel category IMO.
    Bike good, work bad.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Luigiugueto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,491
    I have the float and it's a great fork, and extremely light too.
    I'd say keep it, your Float is the top-of-the-line model, the 55 isn't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •