Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fox Float 32rlc vs. Marzocchi 55r

I just bought an 08 specialized pitch and am deciding what fork to put on it. I currently have the fox on it and I am considering getting the 55r. The bike is incomplete so I haven't tested the fox i have yet. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Keep the Fox. The Marz damper is very simplistic, and not that impressive. The Fox is a better fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is the Fox fork an 08 as well?
    I would ride the fork before you make any judgments on it. A 55 is going to be a step up in travel for sure but the fox forks feel so good that sometimes you can get away with a little less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Inside the R you will find this... hatchback lift assist. Not exactly what I want to be riding on DH runs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Inside the R you will find this... hatchback lift assist. Not exactly what I want to be riding on DH runs.

Just curious. What makes this part a bad thing to have on DH runs?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's made made by:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's made made by:
    Does that make it a bad piece of hardware. Only reason I'm asking is, I have a 55R and just did a mod. on this part. The fork works really well now that I have it adjusted to my liking. Not trying to be a smartass or anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I do like the 55TST2 if modded... My advise is to research the said fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I do like the 55TST2 if modded... My advise is to research the said fork.
    Not sure what you mean. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You have no control over the rebound or compression.... it's a hatch back design made for cars. Sooner or later the R cartridge will blow... when it does just upgrade to the TST2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You have no control over the rebound or compression.... it's a hatch back design made for cars. Sooner or later the R cartridge will blow... when it does just upgrade to the TST2.
    Ok. I do have control of the rebound but not comp. Now that you mention it , does look like a HB cart. After doing the mod. to it , do I need to worry about it "blowing up" now?
    What does the TST2 do for you?

GAME ON!
    but it's got fun written all over it
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Start here but don't stop here, keep digging and you will find a definitive answer:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/marzocchi-55-tst2-set-up-help-needed-393052-post4243747.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mtn biking is FUN! So is working on bikes and bike parts

mtbr member

EVO with Marz 55

I have a Marz 55R on my EVO - for the price it can't be beat. The 20mm hub is nice also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

GAME ON!
    i have a fox, a marz, and a rock shox fork on my bikes. i can't vouch for the quality of the recent marzo offerings, but i can input on '07-'09 fox forks. simply put, they are my favourite. i like the way they look, i like the way they ride and i like their simplicity.

by the way, i have the same rims, cranks and bash on my green + white bike.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I like Marzocchi forks, just like some more than others. The 55 is a great fork for the money and I specifically like the 160MM TST2. It is an excellent fork but I don't like the R so much as it has some limiting factors. Best to mod the 55 TST IMO.

Oh for those of you who have the 140MM R, it's easy to mod it to 160mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I like Marzocchi forks, just like some more than others. The 55 is a great fork for the money and I specifically like the 160MM TST2. It is an excellent fork but I don't like the R so much as it has some limiting factors. Best to mod the 55 TST IMO.

Oh for those of you who have the 140MM R, it's easy to mod it to 160mm
    I did do that. 140 to 160 mod. I personally like the 55, after the mods. I'm on a limited budget so the price was a deciding factor also. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Check out the Rock Shox Domain. Inexpensive, simple, durable, works. Only downside is it's a heavy beast. Got mine for $225 though!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i can input on '07-'09 fox forks. simply put, they are my favourite. i like the way they look, i like the way they ride and i like their simplicity.

Simplicity? What model are you talking about? Usually you can't get anything more complicated then a fox fork on a bike. Especially the Talas models and the DHX Air shock are a pure nightmare to service.
    Don't get me wrong here, i like fox forks, they perform really well on the trail. But in my opinion they have two drawbacks, price and service (un)friendlynes.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timer
    Simplicity? What model are you talking about? Usually you can't get anything more complicated then a fox fork on a bike. Especially the Talas models and the DHX Air shock are a pure nightmare to service.
    Don't get me wrong here, i like fox forks, they perform really well on the trail. But in my opinion they have two drawbacks, price and service (un)friendlynes.
    i run mainly float r models front and back.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Moderator Moderator
    Marzo lost the plot when they moved production from Italy to Taiwan. Any fork or shock of theirs I've ridden in the last few years has felt terrible.

The Fox is a way better fork IMO, maybe a little flexy when really pushed hard but oh so plush !!!!

Keep the fork you have and spend your money on other parts.

EastBaySteez
    TST is the way to go.
    R is marz base model dampening system.

Guess what guys, Sun Tour makes a sh!t ton of forks. (Even Fox internals! Giggity!)
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    TST is the way to go.
    R is marz base model dampening system.

Guess what guys, Sun Tour makes a sh!t ton of forks. (Even Fox internals! Giggity!)
    I was going to say, the 32 damper internals don't look that different than the SR cart that Marz puts in the 55r.

Personally I think the 20mm and 35mm stanchions are worth the potential loss in the damper department. I'm not sure there is really much of a loss though. The 55r is one of the most underrated forks in this travel category IMO.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I have the float and it's a great fork, and extremely light too.
    I'd say keep it, your Float is the top-of-the-line model, the 55 isn't.

mtbr member
    You're going to find many love and hate stories for Fox and Marzocchi on the internet... There's good and bad to both forks and both manufacturers - but seriously, neither are going to sell a duff fork that's going to kill you.

I'd suggest you ride the Fox and see if you like it... If there's something that 'feels' wrong, you'll soon know and then you could go and test ride some bikes with the Marzocchi.

Only you will be able to decide which one you prefer. (PS. I have bikes with both Fox and Marzocchi forks - and have no preference for either - different forks - different riding circumstances). Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Having just switched from the 32RLC Vanilla to the 55 tst, I would definitely says it would depend on what you want from the fork. I had the Fox on my bike for a few months, riding mainly rocky, technical Arizona trails. The biggest complaint was the flex and lack of big bump absorbtion. The fork was definitely a nice product, but it felt like a 4 inch fork, even after setting it up to be as plush as possible.

If you go Marzocchi, I would at least upgrade to the Tst system. It has more potential than the R, and can be modded like a previous poster said. I just took my 55tst for it's first ride today, and it felt much better than the Fox. Sure, the Fox feels more sophicated and expensive, but the 55 felt MUCH safer on the gnarly DH sections, and even climbed pretty well, too.

I guess you have to remember that some may work for others, but not for you. An XC guy would probably pick the Fox, but a Downhill rider would pick the 55, I think. The 55's quality and finish is a little cheapish?, but It cost me half the price of the Fox, and I don't have to worry about it everytime I scrape it on something, or crash.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    You can pick up a 55 TST for $249 with free shipping right now, definitely a better option than the R version.

Dave
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    You can pick up a 55 TST for $249 with free shipping right now, definitely a better option than the R version.

Dave
    Where are you seeing $250? 07 AM1's are still going for around $300 new and those things suck pretty bad.

I'm not a fan of TST for forks, just never worked when I owned one.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jenson has them for $249 and shipping is free through tonight.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

squish is good
    Damn, might be worth it at that price. That is a really good deal.
    Bike good, work bad.

Its got what plants crave
    The 2008 55r was probably the most problematic fork Marz has ever made, short of the "AM" series with the TST/ATA catastrophe. Sloppy bushings, blown dampers.. for 249 bucks it may be worth the risk but do your research on it's potential downfalls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Clutchman83,

I would have to agree a stock TST is not a dream fork, but as you said the 20mm axle and 35mm stanchions make a great chassis. Have a look here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28729#poststop for moding info on the TST which is easy and really helps the small bump performance which is lacking in stock form. After the mod you can set your sag as you wish using air pressure and simply add oil to the spring side of the fork to set bottom out resistance. Itís really a sweet riding fork if youíre willing to open her up. Note: the TST lever becomes an adjustable compression damper; you lose the lock out feature with this mod.

Are there better fork out there than the 55 TST 2: Absolutely.

Now lets rephrase the question: Are there better forks out there for the money: Probably not... especially if your an aggressive all mountain rider on a budget.

squish is good
    Yeah, I'm familiar with that mod, believe me the gears were turning there for a second about maybe picking up one of those forks to play with. $250 is still too much to me for a backup fork though and I'm very happy with my Wotan's performance for the time being. That's a great price for someone who is in the market though, I'd recommend giving it a shot at that price for sure.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    i have the 140mm 55r and i love it. its really torsionally stiff and ramps up nicely. doesnt really soak up smaller bumps and its not that plush over fast ripple bumps, but for everything thing else i love it. and i got it for 200$ on jenson usa. cant beat that.

my dad has a fox float r fork and i like it. its so much smoother than mine. not as stiff though. its a lil lighter too.

but if i was you i would go with the fox. its lighter, has more adjustments, better feel. but cost more. and get the 15qr release.

55r is best for the money, only rebound and air preload adjustments, and 6ish lb wieght lil heavy. but its stiff with the 35mm sanchions and 20mm axle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Buy the R for cheap, upgrade later to tst or maybe even to the RC2 version. Don't hold me to it, but I think all you have to do is change the internals. I know that is the case with upgrading from R to TST... BTW, I just might have a brand new TST cartridge in my tool box..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i've just blown the 55r damper, well at least according to my mech, seems like my local Marz Dsitri is not willing to warranty my fork becoz it's OE (came complete with my NS CORE). any idea where i can take this up to?

really annoying...

thanks.
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11
    i've just blown the 55r damper, well at least according to my mech, seems like my local Marz Dsitri is not willing to warranty my fork becoz it's OE (came complete with my NS CORE). any idea where i can take this up to?

really annoying...

thanks.
    I would go straight to Marzocchi in CA...
    (661) 257-6630

Another option is convert the fork to a 55 TST2. I just happen to have a new cartridge if your interested in converting your fork.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11

really annoying...

thanks.
    What!? They won't warranty it because it's OE... that's hella stupid. Yeah, call their service center direct and talk to them. They absolutely should warranty OE equipment if it's within the time period the bike manufacturer specified.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=driver bob]Marzo lost the plot when they moved production from Italy to Taiwan. Any fork or shock of theirs I've ridden in the last few years has felt terrible.

The Fox is a way better fork IMO, maybe a little flexy when really pushed hard but oh so plush !!!!

Keep the fork you have and spend your money on other parts.[/QUOTe just wondering where fox are made?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    ... that's hella stupid.
    Yep, that is hella stupid! But don't dispair, Marzocchi has a 3 year warranty. Lots of resellers such as Lowe's will only replace goods for 30 days, after that you are forced to deal direct with manufactures. I know it suxs but so does Obama! What can we do?

Just give Mike a call (Marzocchi USA MTB-TECH 1-(661) 257-6630 x 131) and all will be good once again

You always have options and that is what keeps me coming back to this forum... there are people here who have already been through the warranty process or people who know more than I do and some are willing to share information freely. Power to the People!!!!

And don't forget, you also know someone with a TST2 cartridge

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=andrew]
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Marzo lost the plot when they moved production from Italy to Taiwan. Any fork or shock of theirs I've ridden in the last few years has felt terrible.

Keep the fork you have and spend your money on other parts.[/QUOTe just wondering where fox are made?
    China... same place everything else is made... maybe assembled in (fill in blank) but made in China.... pure junk comes out of China. That is the problem we all face with components!

squish is good
    China... same place everything else is made... maybe assembled in (fill in blank) but made in China.... pure junk comes out of China. That is the problem we all face with components!
    Hey, no trolling in other peoples threads. You want to troll, start your own .
    Last edited by Clutchman83; 02-22-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=Clutchman83]

Hey, no trolling in other peoples threads. You want to troll, start your own .
    Acording to wikipedia: A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response.

I simply responded to a question, where are they made... China was the response, where all junk is made. In China its made cheap, lead added, and its considered a consumable... don't make any difference if its electronics, bikes, or cars... same applies. I don't consider that tolling... a fact yes... trolling no!

squish is good
    Acording to wikipedia: A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response.

I simply responded to a question, where are they made... China was the response, where all junk is made. In China its made cheap, lead added, and its considered a consumable... don't make any difference if its electronics, bikes, or cars... same applies. I don't consider that tolling... a fact yes... trolling no!
    Go away troll.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Clutchman83, at least I have 1 follower... BTW what other user names do you have?

LOL, the joke is on you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode a Fox 32 Vanilla R for 3 years. Now, I have a Marz 55 R. The 55 is waaaay smoother on small bumps and takes a big hit sooooo much better than the little 32mm Fox could have dreamed. I find myself doing bigger drops (to flat, even) than I ever would have on the 32.

Small bump compliance as I said, on the Marz is superior.

As for ultra high speed DH runs...I don't know. I ride medium paced smooth singletrack and urban. I live in the Midwest where we don't really have DH runs so speak of. Either way, hucking stairs / smacking a curb / rooty, gnarly singletrack / and whatever else I can find to run this thing into has been a complete upgrade over the 32 Vanilla. For $229, it can't be beat.

If you have the coin, get a Fox 36 Vanilla RC2.

The concern in this thread seems to be limited adjustment, but I've read alot of negative crap about the TST cartridge. The R cartridge is so simple, I think they could have had "Spinner" make the dang thing. How can you get it wrong. Sure, you're limited in adjustment, but for general flowey riding, it's all good.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    As one other poster mentioned (if you've not already picked up a new fork yet) get yourself a Domain. Fairly cheap option. Tough. Stiff. Has proven itself to be pretty damn reliable. The damping works well, for what it is, and IMO way nicer out of the box than the 55R - without having to mod things.

Plus, IMO, the Pitch really does well with a 160mm fork vs. the stock 140mm.

What Happened to the stock Pike? I'd rather have that than either the Fox or the 55R. If the low end Pike, throw in a new MoCo damper (easy to get) and it's golden. Though the Domain would still be nicer if you you want more travel and are on a budget.
    Last edited by scrublover; 02-22-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    wow def didn't think i was trolling, lurking maybe. the post says fox vs marz. someone said marz is made in taiwan, i wanted to know where fox is made. I will be more considerate next time.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    wow def didn't think i was trolling, lurking maybe. the post says fox vs marz. someone said marz is made in taiwan, i wanted to know where fox is made. I will be more considerate next time.
    Sorry man, I screwed up the quote, not sure why it did that, fixed now. You weren't trolling at all. Your post was a legit question and I still think that Marzocchi should warranty your fork if it was a defect. We're cool .
    Bike good, work bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast