mtbr member

Fox Doss 4" Dropper Seatpost 2013

Who is in on this? Yours for only $439! lol...

Fox Doss 4" Dropper Seatpost 2013 > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It looks trick, but over $400 bucks! omg!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

usually cranky
    dumb lever, dumb price, heavy, nothing particularly inovative. way late to the game.

T.W.O
    Overpriced like many other fox products.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    KS LEV is the way to go.

mtbr member
    This post pisses me off.

While at a visit down at the Fox factory I asked a manager if they ever employ product designers as I am a recent grad. He replied by saying that the way their products look, feel and function is all derived through engineering. The reason their product looks is what it is comes from the best available solution at the time of production. While I completely agree that Fox is more of an engineering company, user interface products like this need to be viewed from a different angle.

In the meantime i'll keep shredding with my Reverb, until it falls apart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Qft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    dumb lever, dumb price, heavy, nothing particularly inovative. Way late to the game.
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dumb lever, dumb price, heavy, nothing particularly inovative. way late to the game.
    while not as harsh I have to agree, with all the other post out there to look at you would think that fox coming this late in the game would have release a product that would blow our minds.

Instead we get this hmmm nothing special.

I too will stick to my reveb, only required one bleed and has been over all flawless, now if RS will just redesign the trigger ill be with them for life.

mtbr member
    I'll wait for the Thomson dropper

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So far I have avoided adjustable posts altogether for none of them were quite as reliable than my trusty Thomson. I was able to get my hands on a Fox and I have to say that I'm incredibly happy so far. I will review it when I've used it for a couple months but initial impression is that it is a superior product to anything else I have used or my friends have used (and I have not used a reverb so I can't speak to that).

The lever is actually pretty cool cause you can flip it and mount it top or bottom on either side of your bars. I don't run a front derailler so I have it underneath on the left where that shifter would normally go.

Fox spent a very long time developing this post, so let's hope that it ends up being worth all the effort. I know there were a few key things they focused on that other companies haven't and I feel that those aspects are under-appreciated by most people. Most significantly is the solid one piece machine work. I show this to my skeptical bike-shop friend and he was unimpressed, but not because fox is special for doing it, more that he was annoyed that this aspect was "special". "That's how they should ALL be. That's the proper way to do it." LOL.

74 & 29 pilot
    AGREED!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPedals View Post
    So far I have avoided adjustable posts altogether for none of them were quite as reliable than my trusty Thomson. I was able to get my hands on a Fox and I have to say that I'm incredibly happy so far...
    That's because you've never experienced any others and it hasn't broken yet.

I think that lever is obnoxious and wouldn't want to have to concentrate on which lever it was time to push.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone know when the Thompson will be available? That Dos is a compete fail... price, floating cable, and the lever is 100% doomed if you have to top mount it.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hmmmn...since its just a cable, perhaps a shifter of some sort could be retrofitted to get rid of that ridiculous lever? I feel the same way about their suspension levers...shades of the Campy Mountain Gruppo!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    Anyone know when the Thompson will be available? That Dos is a compete fail... price, floating cable, and the lever is 100% doomed if you have to top mount it.
    Thompson might be another year out after talking with the rep at the NAHBS this year. One thing... by the looks of the picture it may share the floating cable feature that the industry may be swaying away from.

wuss
    Over 500 euros...
    Last edited by dropadrop; 06-28-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBMRC View Post
    Thompson might be another year out after talking with the rep at the NAHBS this year. One thing... by the looks of the picture it may share the floating cable feature that the industry may be swaying away from.
    This. I have two Reverbs and one Gravity Dropper turbo, and am very happy with them.

Getting rid of the hose flopping about when the seat is dropped is really the only thing I'd change with the Reverb. Now that the Stealth model is coming out for retail sale, the Reverb is going to be hard to beat. Its first generation teething problems seem to have been solved. Infinite adjustment. No hose flopping around, if you can run the Stealth. The

The LEV is the only newer post that seems to be a winner in all areas, but it hasn't been out long enough to determine durability.

Reverb and GD Turbo are the two posts to beat. Reverb for its function, GDT for its dependability, and no hose/cable movement. Both are also still cheaper than the LEV and the DOSS. I'm not even going to get into the apparently craptacular Crank Bros. Kronolog.

If/when my Reverbs die, and I can manage to figure out routing into my frame(s) for Stealths, I'd go that route. If not, LEV - assuming the durability ends up okay.

Sorry Fox, too little, too late. The only thing they can bring to the table would be if the post were incredibly beat-downable, like AK-47 durable.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, guess I can forget about waiting for the Thompson with floppy cable.

The KS LEV looks awesome, but I think the stealth version is OEM only? May have to go Reverb Stealth.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    T
    If/when my Reverbs die, and I can manage to figure out routing into my frame(s) for Stealths, I'd go that route.
    i was thinking about that, if your frame has a bottle cage mount couldnt you go through one of those holes? might have to run a length of hose along the down tube but you wouldnt have to deal wit the up/ down business.

mtbr member
    FWIW I demo'd a bike that had the Fox DOSS. I thought the design was stupid from the pictures/descriptions I'd seen (coming from using a dropper post with infinite adjustment). I was pleasantly surprised...

Spring return on the post was perfect, though the post clearly didn't have an entire season of riding on it.

And, (get ready..), the remote was: superb. Really easy to lower/raise post in both settings. The remote looked horrid in all the pictures I'd seen, but, on the bike, it was perfect. I've used several dropper-post remotes (including one I made out of an old suntour thumb shifter, which I really like), but the DOSS remote has been my favorite thus far.

The price, however, is ridiculous,

wuss
    Here it's over two times more then the Lev, I really can't figure out what they feel makes it worth that much.

dog
    sit! stay!
    yeah, the price is a lot... of course fox is not pricing it on way beyond the competition for no good reason... maybe it just takes that much to get it right... assuming they did...

i have a reverb which needs to be bled frequently and a GD which snapped at the seat post and the activator became unglued from the post... snapping at the post is not a good thing for safety reasons, imo ...

i'm inclined to wait and see. it may be worth the extra $...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i was thinking about that, if your frame has a bottle cage mount couldnt you go through one of those holes? might have to run a length of hose along the down tube but you wouldnt have to deal wit the up/ down business.
    Yep. That's what I was thinking. Would make it easier if my frames had seat tube bottle mounts, not just down tube.

May be able to go through the DT though - just need a looooong hose, and route it up through the BB area, assuming you've got the space and clearance for it to go through, and not get snagged or have an issue with your crank spindle.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Someone has already done it on a Mojo HD. Drilled out the bottom water bottle mount on the downtube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So far I have had the the Command post black lite but had to use the short travel, the Kronolog (started out good but crapped after 3 weeks) Wanted the LEV but the 100mm travel one won't be out for a couple of months.

So I bought the DOSS. Yes it was pricey, but it is VERY VERY Nice. The thing is built solid, and feels awesome. It moves smooth and locks in place rock solid. I too, thought the lever looked huge and awkward but after getting it, it is actually quite nice. The two levers makes it super simple to find the travel points and is easier to use than all the others for repeatability. However, it is a lot of money but I can say with 70 miles on it so far (using it way more than needed) it just works awesome. I know most people are turned away by the lever and the price, but I can say it appears that they got it right.

All that said, I saw a LEV at my LBS today and I was equally impressed by the quality of that post. Very well built, and simply looks amazing. Felt really good as well. super smooth, with a small but awesome lever for the control.

And of course I'm not bashing the Rockshox cause I have never used one at all. I will admit, I m curious about it but was always afraid of hydraulic and having to bleed it but when I think about it, I have Hydraulic brakes that work awesome so why not a seat post.

Overall, I would say they FOX and LEV are nearly the same quality looking posts but I tend to believe the FOX will be rock solid in durability. You really have to try one to see how nice and secure it locks into every position. Not saying that the LEV or Reveb are not, as I think both would be other options I would go with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bought one.

One ride so far.

+Solid but light operation
    +3 step positioning
    +Lever (If you run 1x)
    +Cable operated
    +Even if you lose air you can still manually position the seat post

-Small clicking sound when riding bumpy terrain seated
    -Lever (If you run FD, which i don't)
    -Price
    -Cable operated

I have reverb also, one of issues i ran into it was cold weather (from -5C to -20C) performance, seals just cant hack it in cold, on DOSS i can still get the post into riding position where Reverb just collapses.

I actually do prefer 3 position posts (I have GD too), but i wasn't fan of the whole seat weight-unweight faffing on our terrain (I cycle my dropper posts a lot on average day of riding)

It has not whacked me on the jewels yet, the spring rate is actually quite low so if your thigh is leaning at all on post, it will slow down fast.

Lever is bulky, no issue for me though since i run 1x10, running it on left side below the bars, so it works just like FD shifter for me, the Trail drop lever makes it easy to find the middle drop position.

Setting cable tension was super easy, no faffing there, you can also pick the side the cable is located at since post is symmetrical, pull of the lever is ok, not nearly sharp and accurate as Reverb... but cable vs hydro, yeah.

Operation of the post is very smooth and you don't need much force to make it move, both GD and Reverb have some stiction to move first 1cm or so, not on DOSS.

Also i hope since the post is running on way, way lower pressures than Reverb that it can hold its own on winter use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been using the Fox doss seat post for about 2 months now, I really like this, I've twice crashed my hard during a high speed descend and this Fox doss withstand it .

When I was using a 1x10 setup the controller for the Fox doss is installed underneath the handlebar, however this week I've converted back to 2x10 setup so the controller is on top of the handle bar, I had a crashed this morning, the controller survived .

Now my question is has anyone used a KS lev or Thompson controller with the Fox Doss dropper seat post? Don't get me wrong the controller is very durable and never fails,