Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

FOX DHX Air 5.0 or Rock Shox Vivid air ?

Which one of them is better for AM ?
    You die just once, so, it's better be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the DHX working with the Talas RC2 FIT 160mm fork on my '10 Sanction 1 (pretty burly AM rig riding a lot of rock) and love it. Very plush - no problems.

Haven't ridden the RS, can't comment on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Dhx!!!!!!!

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    DHX Air has a history of being a terrible shock. I've had it on 2 setups, a SC Nomand and a Knolly Endo. In both instances the shock has never performed to my liking and this is a common trend with these shocks.

Are you looking at a frame that offers one of the 2, or are you looking to buy one of these outright? What frame is it going to be on?

biking is fun
    I would choose a RP23 BV before i ever put a dhx air back on any of my bikes. I have owned 4-5 dhx air's and everytime it sucked. These were ranging from 06 to 10's. All suffer from the same problem of blowing through the travel. Having minimum small bump compliance but bottoming out on medium hits. Terrible shock. Even on bikes that were supposedly made for them. The only upside to the DHX air for AM is the propedal but thats typically used to mask a problem with the suspension design.

The vivid air is supposed to be amazing. It was specifically designed to eliminate the major problems with other air shocks which are overheating (fading) and midstroke wallow. Many people say its the most coil-like air shock out there.

If you are wanting more of a pedal platform or more of a strict AM style shock then look at the new monarch plus. It looks promising as well...

Perpetual Hack
    Vivid.

I have ridden ( still have it in the closet ) the DHX-A on different frames, and it sucks. I went coil, but if you want to stay air, in Fox as CB says a BV RP23, for RS Vivid or a Push Monarch. Or maybe try the Manitou Evolver IS6

But for the love of all that is holy, please no DHX-A.

in my opinionated opinion...

michael

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    DHX Air has a history of being a terrible shock. I've had it on 2 setups, a SC Nomand and a Knolly Endo. In both instances the shock has never performed to my liking and this is a common trend with these shocks.

Are you looking at a frame that offers one of the 2, or are you looking to buy one of these outright? What frame is it going to be on?
    If i will buy it, it's going to be on my 2010 Specialized Enduro. Howeven, my original RP2 exploded, but lots of people says it's an awesome shock am i should fix it, in other ways lots of people says the DHX is a piece of crap, So I guess that i should fix the RP2 ? (I jump no more then 6 foot with them).

And the guy under you says that i should buy the RP...tat i all ready have....so...what should i do ?

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Do you live in the US? If you do send the shock to push and they can get it setup perfectly for you. I believe you can get the "big hit" tune with that shock as well.

If your outside of the US the TF tune might be able to set you up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    Do you live in the US? If you do send the shock to push and they can get it setup perfectly for you. I believe you can get the "big hit" tune with that shock as well.

If your outside of the US the TF tune might be able to set you up.
    Wow that DHX is sucks....ho well.. I guess i should stay with my old buddy the RP2

Let the good times roll.
    If I was shopping for a new air shock now, I'd go with a PUSHed Monarch. Based on what I've heard, that seems to be the best AM air shock on the market now. I'd love to try one for myself, but I don't have the money for it.

I have a DHX Air on my bike now. I guess I'm in the minority here, because I like how it performs. Mine just needed very careful setup and a switch to the standard size Float air can. The small air can pretty much fixed the mid stoke issue. I was able to set up the shock to be super plush in the first 1/2 of the stroke, the ramp up for bottom out resistance. I went from a PUSHed Float R to the DHX and liked the DHX better even with the stock Fox tuning. Since then, I've had my DHX custom tuned by Suspension Experts, and it rides even better.

I've heard from a few sources that the Vivid air is a high maintenance shock. I don't mean that it had bad quality control and reliability issues. I mean that it supposedly has a short maintenance interval to keep it running in top form. It's a race-day shock in other words. But if that's not true, then the Vivid air would be a sweet shock.

Another shock I've heard great things about is the Manitou Evolver ISX-6. It has tons of adjustments, and supposedly rides a lot like a coil. Unfortunately, the way the piggyback unit is mounted means many frames can't take the Evolver. That's the only reason I didn't get one instead of my DHX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    If I was shopping for a new air shock now, I'd go with a PUSHed Monarch. Based on what I've heard, that seems to be the best AM air shock on the market now. I'd love to try one for myself, but I don't have the money for it.

I have a DHX Air on my bike now. I guess I'm in the minority here, because I like how it performs. Mine just needed very careful setup and a switch to the standard size Float air can. The small air can pretty much fixed the mid stoke issue. I was able to set up the shock to be super plush in the first 1/2 of the stroke, the ramp up for bottom out resistance. I went from a PUSHed Float R to the DHX and liked the DHX better even with the stock Fox tuning. Since then, I've had my DHX custom tuned by Suspension Experts, and it rides even better.

Another shock I've heard great things about is the Manitou Evolver ISX-6. It has tons of adjustments, and supposedly rides a lot like a coil. Unfortunately, the way the piggyback unit is mounted means many frames can't take the Evolver. That's the only reason I didn't get one instead of my DHX.
    +1 on this - pretty much my experience.

UK Bike Whore
    Dec 2008
    I think you would be better comparing the DHX Air with a monarch Plus. The DHX is an AM shock the Monarch Plus is an AM shock the Vivid Air is a DH shock. Having said that if its a '10 Enduro with the new X shaped frame don't the shocks have a special lower eyelet so you cant put an aftermarket shock on it.

I have managed to set up my DHX pretty well not sure if it is 100% yet. Putting an LV air can on it as miniwisejosh says massively helps wit the feel of the DHX. One of the problems with the DHX isnt easy to set up and a lot of people just want to set the sag and rebound and ride the DHX needs much more than that to make it ride well.

usually cranky
    i dont think the dhx a is a horrible shock, it just is hard to set up and plays best with certain bikes. i am fairly happy with mine, one i get a lv can it should be pretty awesome. and +1 on comparing it to a monarch plus or evolver, that is its competition, not the vivid air.

Ride and Smile
    Who are you? How do you ride? What do you consider AM?
    I'd say a monarch from Push is the best for AM. I consider AM as close to downhill as I can get when I have to pedal up. RP23 is good. But the folks at Push are saying the monarch is superior to the rp23. When they talk I listen. So I am currently waiting for them to make the enduro mount.
    The vivid air looks awesome. I am waiting on one for my DHR. I had the same experience with the dhx and don't think I'll be buying one - but I've been hearing it's a great shock and they worked things out.
    Push sells brand new Monarchs for less than 350 custom tuned for you and your bike - how can you beat that?

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    If you are wanting more of a pedal platform or more of a strict AM style shock then look at the new monarch plus.
    my understanding is the Monarch Plus has no pedal platform. it is not setup the same way as the DHX air.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Knees
    I think you would be better comparing the DHX Air with a monarch Plus. The DHX is an AM shock the Monarch Plus is an AM shock the Vivid Air is a DH shock. Having said that if its a '10 Enduro with the new X shaped frame don't the shocks have a special lower eyelet so you cant put an aftermarket shock on it.

I have managed to set up my DHX pretty well not sure if it is 100% yet. Putting an LV air can on it as miniwisejosh says massively helps wit the feel of the DHX. One of the problems with the DHX isnt easy to set up and a lot of people just want to set the sag and rebound and ride the DHX needs much more than that to make it ride well.
    +1 - most people who have complaints about the DHX air blowing thru the mid-stroke don't understand how the shock works and haven't set it up properly. If the shock really sucked that bad, Fox would have fixed it years ago.
    I have had a couple versions of the DHX air, and I too used to hate it. Then I actually spent a little time learning how it works and what each feature of the shock is used for. Once set up properly, it worked fantastic.

I'm more of a dog person
    the vivid air is basically a DH shock and RS doesn't even make the right i2i length for alot of trail/AM bikes. I know it won't fit on my 5Spot. That why I went with the Monarch Plus RC3 from Push.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I rode the Vivid air for a short period(nice shock), and also owned and used the Roco-air and DHX-air. The Manitou ISX-4/ISX-6 intrinsic is way better than all of them IMO! For straight up DH riding the Vivid might be more durable over the long haul but for AM I highly recommend the ISX-6 or ISX-4 (shim stack version's). I think Chain Reaction has them on sale right now for around $220-290 new which is a steal. No air shock is perfect, but It's the closest I have gotten to the feel of a coil shock. Mine has been going strong for 2 1/2 years with zero issues. I probably need to change the oil soon though....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ive had a dhx air on 3 bikes now. Took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but now it's dialled in I love it, really soft in 1st 50% of travel, then it ramps up & I have to land really really hard if I wanna bottom it out which I havent yet-always have 2or 3mm spare on my spicy. Im sur most the bad reviews of this shock are from ppl who havent had it dialled in correctly
    some people live more in one minute than others do in a year
    Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What's the best resource to learn how to set up the dhx? I have one on my yeti575.

mtbr member
    Yes, I liked to hear that too. I have had DHX over a year now, and I believe I have tried everything: you can tune the sag with airpressure, you can tune the rebound, you can tune the bottom out control and airpressure in piggybag, but nomatter what you do, you just can't get away with that friking mid-stroke wallow. I'll try coil ....

Let the good times roll.
    Contact Suspension Experts and get a custom tune. That should cure the mid stroke wallow.

Or try a small air car instead of the stock HV can (if you haven't already).

Thread Terrorist
    I wouldn't believe anyone that hasn't tried both. Most reviews are from those that like what the bought.

That said, I recently (with the last two weeks) tested 4 shocks on one bike.

I have a new carbon nomad. I also am a signals analysis engineer, working nor proper dampening... From an electrical point of view, but the principles are the same.

I tested a Dhx 5.0 air, RC4, rp23, and a vivid air. I ran different settings on each to get it as dialed in as possible. Sag was the same on all. I am not a RS fan typically, hence all the fox shocks I own.

I'll spare the reviews for those that you don't mention, unless you'd like me to elaborate.

rp23: brand new 2012 Kashima coated shock. Nice shock! For the nomad platform, it did better than the Dhx. Most small bump absorption was still a little harsh, despite modifying the rebound and compression,mi couldn't get this smoother no matter what. I removed the air a little, and got better small bump absorption, but at the cost of blowing through travel faster. Bigger hits were nice, but again you need to increase the compression dampening to get that endless feel; but at the cost of no small bump compliance.

Dhx 5.0 air. A 2010 model, recently serviced. I struggled with this shock on my original nomad. With the piggy back air chamber, this helped the small bump compliance balance out with the big hit category ( see above). However, when I stepped on the gas, the larger air chamber gave me some odd kickback on the bike. I could minimize this with by making the top air chamber a little smaller in volume ( bottom out setting makes it more or less progressive). This was my first really good shock I had on my original nomad... But I hadn't ridden anything else.

Vivid air: I had the ability to test one of these shocks out last fall on my original nomad. I was a complete skeptic. RS doesn't make good shocks, right? Fox is the defecto standard. I opened up and tried it out, trying to keep an open mind.
    This shock is simply amazing. When it first started my ride, I swear I thought my tires were going flat. I checked the, twice. What it was, was the incredibly smooth small bump absorption. Once is figured that out, I thought it might not be in the right sag setting. Hmmm, duped again. The sag was still as we had set it up. This was completely new compared to both the rp23 and the Dhx air. I started with some technical up hills. Usually my fox shocks lose their travel, and lose traction over the small bumps when the shock was compressed into half it's travel (cg is mostly on the rear tire). The vivid air simply did as advertised.... It smoothed out the ups even when the terrain was rocky. I had many firsts and dab less technical uphills compared to my fox. This is too good to be true, right?
    On the flats, I stomped on the pedals. I got very little feedback. Nomads are famous for this, and the shock did give me some of that, but not as much. The fox's can overcome that by switching the stable platform settings, but at the cost of traction in the rock piles.
    When I turned the thing downhill, this was where the shock is really supposed to perform. Nothing could beat my RC4... So I thought. The air was a little too high, Suomi took out 10 psi. The rebound was packing up, so I clicked that back by a click or two from the initial settings. All was good. The shock tracked better than any coil I had tried! Unbelievable. The new settings held their ground when doing the last few climbs. Simply put, this shock did it all. I was expecting a worse performance out of this shock tha the Dhx air. But I was completely wrong.

In the end, I simply couldn't believe it. The RS surpassed my expectations. I feel horrible, beause I had just bought an RC 4 a few months prior. I had signed up for the rock shox experience to test new forks, but the RS guys insisted I try the vivid air.

I ran all four shocks on my 2012 nomad just for fun. The best to worst performing shocks in my opinion are below.
    1. Vivid air
    2. RC 4 (the coil is awesome, but it's heavy'. I need a spring between the two they offer)
    3. Rp23
    4. DHX 5.0 air

I just sold my new rp23 and Dhx. I'm now thoroughly convinced that fox is a marketing machine and does well with marginally performing shocks.

I just recently (yesterday) took delivery on another vivid Air to replace my RC 4 on my Santa Cruz v10. I'll keep my RC 4's around for certain conditions. But this shock is the best one I've tested yet.

I've heard great things about the monarch, and still want to test out the cane creek double barrel.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Oh, and FWIW, my lbs owner used to work at push, knows everyone there still (they're down the street from me). They also are suggesting more rock shox products over fox. Everyone was saying how much better the monarch is tha the rp23. I went with the vivid because the air temps don't change as much. I want to test out that pushed monarch!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Neither, Xfusion vector air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast