mtbr member
    Sep 2011

FOX CTD Evolution VS Factory

Hey everyone,
    I've been riding full suspension bikes for about 10 years now, 10 years of 20" BMX before that. I'd consider myself an "average" rider per say. I'm by no means a pro or a racer, but I don't think I suck too bad at the same time either. Anyway, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Santa Cruz Bronson and I'm down to the R Am or the SPX kit. Components aside, I'm looking at the difference between the forks and shock being Fox Evolution vs Factory w K coating.
    My question is, given my "average" experience level, would I be able to tell the difference between Evo and Factory and is it worth the extra $1000 to upgrade?
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

FOX CTD Evolution VS Factory

Having spent time on both, I would say no, unless you want the bling factor. I have yet to see evidence that kashima is anything more than a gimmick, and I don't mess with the additional adjustments on the trail setting. I think those are the only differences.

mtbr member
    I bought my first Kashima coated F34 150 Float this year to match my Kashima coated shock (RP23) . I cannot say that I notice less stiction than my previous Fox non-Kashima coated fork and shock. I can say that after less than one year of riding I have a small chip in the Kashima coated RP23 while my previous non coated Talas and RP23 look perfect after 5yrs of use.

perpetual pucker factor
    The kashima coating definitely did help small bump compliance for me, but the new SKF seals they include helped equally as much. If the money isn't too big a concern, go for it.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.