Thread: Fox..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Fox..

Hello,

I'm looking for Fox fork.
    I restoring TREK 8500 ZR9000. Want make one XTR brakes, XT crank, few XO parts, XT Front and Rear Derailleur. And almost all the parts I have received already. All what need is a fork. Maybe Someone have one of them? I'm looking not at the factory Fox rl 32, but one of Talas 150mm or 130mm models without tapered steering. I found one upgrade for tapered forks, install tapered fork to a non tapered headtube with CANE CREEK adaptor.
    I am looking for suport. Maybe someone can help?
    When all project will be done. I make special post with photos maybe videos.

Best...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Fox..

There is no headset for a tapered fork in a non tapered head tube. Will not work. I dont recommended such a high travel fork on a older bike with older geometry. Id stick with the same travel maybe 20mm more max. (More the travel the more stress it puts on the head tube/frame.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Maybe you are right in saying that long travel fork is make much more stress. But i have more stress on my another bike with 10'cm travel. And frame geometry not old at all.
    2007 8500 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
    This a headset link : Cane Creek 40.EC44/40.Bottom Assembly

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    There is no headset for a tapered fork in a non tapered head tube. Will not work.
    Ummm. yeah. Not true. I've done it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey swildnm, maybe you have few photos? Can you send me PM?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    There's some pics here. Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

The only problem I had was finding a shop with the right tools to bore it. Standard Bore depth is 9mm and the external lower cup requires a 15mm depth. So it has to be bored another 6mm. I went to 6 different LBS's to find the one that had the right tool.

mtbr member
    The thought of removing material from where you are gonna put more stress by mounting a longer fork would make me worried.

perpetual pucker factor
    I must say that seems like a very bad idea to put a fork with 50% more travel on the front of that bike. That's a very large increase in leverage. The most I'd feel safe with is a 120mm or thereabouts.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm not saying putting that fork on this bike is a good idea. It's not. But a tapered fork in a 44mm head tube is possible.

usually cranky
    ^very possible. there are many ec cups for a 44mm headtube, i use a gusset with my tapered rev. but i suspect the op has a straight 1 1/8 head tube and that wont work unless there is some modification done. and any modification to the headtube area seems like a bad idea to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So I need fork anyway. Question still the same, maybe someone have one? Modifications that last way. I'll be glad to get one. Tapered or no....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Look at Enduro bikes, front fork is with very high angle.. If i found the 2009 FOX Talas RL 140mm with adjustment 10-12-14 cm. I think that best way.
    Sorry, my English POOOOR

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    up..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What do you all think about the Rock Shox Reba SL 2010? 100 mm travel dual air ant etc... Any suggestions?