mtbr member

Fox 36 on a Cove Stiffee

currently running a RS Revelation 140mm on my cove but been offered a very good deal on my favourite fork a fox36 float RC2 fork, I'm a huge fan of the fox 36 plushness and damping and much prefer it to the Revelation. However I'm not sure how well a 160 fork will work on the stiffee, its not a great climber at 140mm on steep climbs (have to fight to keep the front wheel down) so with a longer A2C and more travel on the Fox 36 this would only get worse however I could adjust the 36 to 130 or 140 very easily to help compensate (although with the longer a2c it will still be bigger)...anybody any thoughts or experience of this?

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly the 140mm Rev has the same A-C as the Pike, so about 517mm.

The Fox 36 series (160mm) is 545. Space it down to 130mm and you should be in about the same spot you already are.

mtbr member
    i borrowed a buddys once, and it had a big fork on it. cant remember which fork, but it was at least 160mm and it felt great to me

i think the stiffee is meant for long travel forks and the 140 you have on it now is less than its designed for, no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit
    i borrowed a buddys once, and it had a big fork on it. cant remember which fork, but it was at least 160mm and it felt great to me

i think the stiffee is meant for long travel forks and the 140 you have on it now is less than its designed for, no?
    Per their current site:

* 150 Max Ride Height of 520mm.

So the 518mm Pike is just about perfect for the bike.

mtbr member
    The Float's easy to space down to whatever travel you want. Go for it, and drop it if you don't like it at 160mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've seen them with Dual Crowns, put what ever you feel comfortable with on it. If your looking for climbing prowess you might want to look for a hardtail that has a steeper HA than 66*. The frame is a full on freeride, very aggressive and can take full days of DH hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Go for it

I reduced mine to 140mm and found that it worked really well. The Stiffee was a fast over hard tracks as my Ellsworth Moment was - just made up the speed on the pedal where the lack of rear suspension slowed it down.

Good balance - but I had mine set up more of a 4X/AM off the seat style than long travel XC.

Weight came in at about 28lb from memory.

mtbr member
    Ta, thanks for the feedback, hopefully i'll get chance to give it ago before parting with cash.