mtbr member

Formula Oro Puro - VS - Hope Mono Mini

I'm building a new AM bike and am stuck between two brake sets. Based on performance which brakes would you buy and why? Formula oro puro's or Hope mono mini's?

formula ORO puro.jpghope_mono_mini.jpg
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

squish is good
    Completely uninformed opinion as the closest I've ever come to touching either of those was a magazine ad, but I've always been partial to Hope brakes. Just something about them pins my internal badass meter, maybe the machining marks...
    Bike good, work bad.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Total toss up. I think Formula edges in customer service. Both stupid expensive.

Commit or eat sh!t
    If you want bling, Hope is the way to go, with anodized inner 2-piece and saw tooth outer rotors. You can even find anodized levers. They both use DOT fluids. I think Puros are lighter and more expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    If you want bling, Hope is the way to go, with anodized inner 2-piece and saw tooth outer rotors. You can even find anodized levers. They both use DOT fluids. I think Puros are lighter and more expensive.
    True, but i think the puro's are pretty bling themselves. Yes the hopes are a little nicer in looks, but I've heard from several sources that you can't really find a better performing brake than the puro. So as it stands, either I go with the hopes, which are without saying an amazing looking brake that also performs exceptionally well or I go for the puros which I think are pretty badass looking as well and have somewhat of an edge in performance over the hopes.

(I've also heard that the mono mini's are a pain to set up)
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    I had Mini's several years ago and now Oro's, IMHO the Fromulas are much nicer brakes.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    I have K18's on my XC rig and Puro's on my AM. Both are outstanding IMO. I haven't tried the Hope's so I can't give any advice there. I just ordered "The One" for my new build, I can't wait till they get here. Get some goody lines and some organic pads and you are good to go. The preceding sentences should tell you what I think...

Phil from San Diego
    I have the Formula K24's. No experience with Hope and no reason to try it. Love how solid the Formula feels and the customer service is simply AMAZING!

mtbr member

made up my mind...

Thanks guys, for all the feedback I've made up my mind. I am truly sorry to the United Kingdom, but I am going to have to go with the Italians on this one Formula Oro Puro's it is.

I will post again once I've tested the Puro's and let you all know my opinion.

Thanks again
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

Single Speed Junkie
    Glad to see you made the right choice.

Have owned and ridden both.

Hopes are sweet brakes and very bling CNC looks.

Formulas finish is not as nice as the Hopes, but they make up for it in performance and if you need CS they are more helpful as well.

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    Congrats on the purchase, you will love the Puro's man. Stop on a dime and have easy maintainability. Great Brakes

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Formulas hands-down. I ride the K24's on my DH rig and they are awesome. I've never owned Hopes but people that I ride with tend to have minor complaints about them.

Surfing trails
    I like them both. Currently I have one set of Mono Minis on a hardtail and one set of Moto V2's on a Chumba EVO. And also a set of Formula The ONE's on another Chumba. Don't have a lot of ride experience with the Puro's but have installed and bled a few sets. I really like Formula brakes and I am in love with their low low low weight. But Hope won me over years ago with their simplicity and structural build. Nothing against Formula Oro's, but I prefer the one-piece caliper of the Hopes. And I'm glad Formula went with a one-piece caliper on The ONE's.

In terms of ride characteristics they both feel about the same to me with smooth modulation and what feels like comparable bite pressure (I didn't mess with the FCS adjuster on the Puros). I think they share the same piston size as well. Formulas have a fancy finish and Hope's just have a raw rugged look (I like that) with plenty of CNC work. No worry about scratching paint off the Hopes. Both are solidly built and easy to bleed once you've done it a few times. All in all the two are so similar in performance that it really comes down to what look you want and what price you like.