Thread: Fork Shopping

likes bicycles

Fork Shopping

Hey.

I have a dilemma. A first world dilemma, but a dilemma none the less. I recently got a Transition Bandit 26 frame as a crash replacement, which is built up with a 2008 32 Fox Vanilla RLC. My plan is to upgrade the fork this summer. My biggest complaints about the current fork are (a) Flexier than my spaghetti [in Fox's defense, I do like it al dente] (b) Heavy by modern standards for what it is (c) Spewing oil since it was rebuilt by a hack of a mechanic [me]. (a) matters a fair bit more than (b) in this situation, and (c) is easily fixed.

Ideally, my new fork will be a 150mm travel fork. The frame can take a 140mm-160mm, but Transition claims that 150 is truly a sweet spot. I tend to think that would be good for me, as it would slacken out the head angle just a bit. I get nervous about the seat tube angle with a 160mm.

Another thing to consider is how hard I ride. I tend to beat the snot out of stuff. I go pretty fast, and hit jumps and drops when present. Most of my riding is in the Tahoe area, so it also need to be able to climb. A lot. So I'm trying to keep it pretty light. My bike probably already weighs about 31-32 pounds with the older components and beefy tires that are on it.

Turning to what's on the market, I'm really torn. I want the durability of something like a Fox 36 or a Lyrik, but don't want the extra axle to crown. Something like the new Rockshox Pike at 150 or a Fox 34 dropped to 150 seem like decent options, but I'm hesitant to put a 15 mm thru axle on. Granted, 15 will be an improvement over my 9mm QR thru type axle, but why not a 20? So then I start thinking about the RockShox Revelation with a 20mm thru, but with the smaller stanchions, don't really know what to expect as far as flex. Will it be more or less flexy than a Pike/34?

Any tips on a fork that fits my bike/riding style would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What about x-fusion forks? Could run a vengeance at a lower travel, but then I think you'll be in the camp of the lyrik and 36 again.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would go 36 and lower it to 150mm, if you want lighter then go 34. with the frame you are using a 34 is more then enough though I think.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu View Post
    I would go 36 and lower it to 150mm, if you want lighter then go 34. with the frame you are using a 34 is more then enough though I think.
    Yes, this. All floats can be lowered internally with spacers. You can even get fancy and set it to 145 if you wanted

mtbr member
    I love my float 36. The new SKF seals help a ton to reduce the sticky feel they used to have. They are also really stiff compared to the 32 I used to have. Feels every bit as stiff ad the totem I demoed.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    RockShox Pike in 150mm due for release in a few weeks time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd vote for the following:

Marz 55 RC3 Ti 160
    Marz 44 RC3 Ti 150
    Lyrik RC2DH lowered to 160/150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Accident Prone View Post
    RockShox Pike in 150mm due for release in a few weeks time.
    I was thinking this same thing. Stiff, light and sounds like it fits your bill. 15mm axle is the only thing i was hesitant about but if my Talas poos itself then I'm certainly going to give one a go.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    I was thinking this same thing. Stiff, light and sounds like it fits your bill. 15mm axle is the only thing i was hesitant about but if my Talas poos itself then I'm certainly going to give one a go.
    I'm definitely intrigued by the Pike. If I'm leaning any way, it's the Pike. It'll be available in a 150mm, so I won't have to mess around with lowering a brand new fork. The marketing folks are talking like the stiffness is terrific, but that's the marketing department. The Pike is actually a bit lighter than my current fork, which is really impressive.

My biggest hesitations are the 15mm thru axle. I just don't understand why not make it a 20. It's still a way different fork than the lyrik, and seriously, how much extra weight would a 20mm produce? But then again, how much extra stiffness?

I'll be interested to hear some riders first thoughts on the fork, rather than just the marketing hype.

As for something like the lyrik/fox 36, I feel like it could be a bit more than my bike needs. Those are some big, beefy forks. I guess I don't really rocket up climbs, so it wouldn't be the biggest deal for me. But I can't help but wonder if it would be just a bit of overkill.

Compromising is so difficult.

Name:  29158140.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  72.2 KB

Huffy Rider
    Pick up a used Rev until you hear more about the Pike. I like my 20thru Rev on my reign...the flex that I feel is from my lightweight wheel set!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Pick up a used Rev until you hear more about the Pike. I like my 20thru Rev on my reign...the flex that I feel is from my lightweight wheel set!
    Not sure i agree with this, I had a Revelation and it had noticeable flex. I'm only 175lbs too.

likes bicycles
    Not sure i agree with this, I had a Revelation and it had noticeable flex. I'm only 175lbs too.
    I forgot to consider rider weight. I should point out that I weigh around 200 lbs when I'm geared up. I anticipate losing maybe 5 pounds over the course of the season, but not much more than that.

Huffy Rider
    Ya, disregard my previous statement then!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a bandit and weigh about 200lbs geared up. I run a sektor and don't notice much flex at all, although YMMV. You could always swap in the damper from the revelation and basically have a revelation for half the price.

undercover brother
    I'm 190 geared up. I had a sektor and noticed considerable flex. I now have a lyrik and its is all the beef I need. I thought the 160 would be too much on my transAM, but it actually feels "right" now. I'd say something about the extra weight, but I went tubeless when I switched forks so it actually seems lighter.

Where I really noticed the flex of the sektor was rock gardens and tracking. Never noticed it on jumps or drops, but when I finally threw on the lyrik, I realized what solid was...

eBiker
    How is this:

Any fork you choose will be a huge stiffness upgrade. So you can't go wrong.

If most of your riding is Tahoe, & if you are going to drop the coin, go 34-36mm stanchions. Just because big mountains deserve big gear.

Don't sweat the 15mm vs. 20mm axle thing. Most of the stiffness comes from the captured axle (vs. old clamp on 9mm qr) probably with little difference between 15 & 20 - so the manufacturers are going to the lighter weight 15.

A lot of fore/aft stiffness comes from the steerer so go taper.

That said, I watch my taper Lyrik twang a bit in boneyards, a bit less than the 55 I had before, which was just a bit less than the 32mm legged Nixon I had before that (which I only really saw twang at N*). The point is, get which ever fork you feel fits your riding then run what u brung and forget the flex. Kinda like you are already doing! Forks are over-built, as you've demonstrated by the way you are riding your current fork. lol.

P

Ow!
    I say what fork you get depends on how you ride. Get bigger the more you tackle rocks and jumps. That said, I have gone through a number forks recently, including an old Lyrik U-turn, Revelation, 44, 55, and 66. I currently weigh 250lbs, and am sensitive to flex (fork, wheels). The Rev is very flexy at 150mm. I dropped it down to 125mm for my trail bike, which is OK, but can still feel it a little when in the rocks. The 44 is on my big hardtail, and I am very impressed with it. I can detect very little flex. The 55 is on my Blur LTc, and I can detect no flex with that. The 66 is on the big bike, and I do not think I will ever ride tough enough to ever flex that thing. The Lyrik I used was good, but I could detect some flex that I cannot now detect on my 66.

The 44s sound idea for your bike. Very stiff, but the 55 is more stiff if you can put up with the 160mm travel.