Thread: Fork Poll

mtbr member

Fork Poll

1. Would you rather have a Rockshox Lyric RC (rebound and compression) or a Fox 36 Float R (rebound) if the price is identical, but there is a 160g weight penalty for the RS?

2. Would you take a Lyric R (rebound) over a Fox 36 Float R (rebound) if there was a $150 savings? (but still a 160g penalty)
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Definately the more controls the better. Unless you're very weight conscious, now that's a different story. But then 160g can easily be achieved by using a lighter wheel set and/or tires with the money saved as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    160 grams = 0.352739619 pounds

Agree with Kaizer, I don't think 0.352739619 pounds should be an issue on a bike that can handle a 160mm fork.

Sorry to say, I can't offer any other feedback on those two models.

usually cranky
    id take the lyrik rc over the 36 r but the 36 r over the lyrik r. overall i would get the lyrik rc.

EDR
    A couple things to consider.

RS has a two year warranty, Fox a 1 year.
    RS forks are very, very simple to service.

Overall I vote Lyrik RC. The additional weight should not be a deciding factor imo. If the RC is the same price as the Fox R then I think it's a no-brainer. But then again, I own a Lyrik so you can take all my biased input and toss it out the window if you'd like

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    A couple things to consider.

RS has a two year warranty, Fox a 1 year.
    RS forks are very, very simple to service.
    A couple more things to consider.

Fox sells parts to the end user.
    RockShox makes you go through a middle man (LBS).
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    Fox sells parts to the end user.
    RockShox makes you go through a middle man (LBS).
    Fox for me

wuss
    What damping is in the Lyrik? Mission Control? With DH? Motion Control?

Let the good times roll.
    1. The Lyrik RC has adjustable low speed compression damping. That's better than the 36R with no compression adjustments at all (short of pulling the damper out and physically modifying it).

2. The Fox 36 doesn't have anything to make it worth $5 more than the Lyrik, much less $150. I'd get the Lyrik R and consider changing the damper in the future. Or just save the money. It should cost under $200 to upgrade from the Mission Control IS damper (that's the Lyrik RC) to the top-end Mission Control DH damper. The upgrade just needs the DH rebound damper, the DH compression damper, fresh oil, and a couple hours to follow the directions in SRAM's tech docs for overhauling Lyriks. Maybe a few new tools if you don't have a well stocked tool box.

Don't pay attention to the weight. That's a minor issue compared to suspension performance.

About getting parts from Rockshox, a lot of that can be bought from mail order stores for a decent price. Even some dampers and other internal bits. I'm planning to upgrade my Mission Control damper to the DH version soon, and I'll most likely order it online unless a local shop offers me a really nice deal.
    Last edited by miniwisejosh; 12-09-2010 at 11:41 PM.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    The Fox 36 doesn't have anything to make it worth $5 more than the Lyrik, much less $150.
    it has a fancy sticker that says FOX with a fox tail under it. thus the price hike. fancy stickers aint free yanno?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    X-Fusion Vengeance HLR

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    it has a fancy sticker that says FOX with a fox tail under it. thus the price hike. fancy stickers aint free yanno?
    lol. And the Lyrik has stickers under clearcoat so they don't fall off

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    1. The Lyrik RC has low speed compression damping. That's better than no compression damping at all.

2. The Fox 36 doesn't have anything to make it worth $5 more than the Lyrik, much less $150. I'd get the Lyrik R and consider changing the damper in the future. Or just save the money. It should cost under $200 to upgrade from the Mission Control IS damper (that's the Lyrik RC) to the top-end Mission Control DH damper. The upgrade just needs the DH rebound damper, the DH compression damper, fresh oil, and a couple hours to follow the directions in SRAM's tech docs for overhauling Lyriks. Maybe a few new tools if you don't have a well stocked tool box.

Don't pay attention to the weight. That's a minor issue compared to suspension performance.

About getting parts from Rockshox, a lot of that can be bought from mail order stores for a decent price. Even some dampers and other internal bits. I'm planning to upgrade my Mission Control damper to the DH version soon, and I'll most likely order it online unless a local shop offers me a really nice deal.
    Lacking compression adjustment does not mean there is no compression damping.

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    Lacking compression adjustment does not mean there is no compression damping.
    You're right. I used a bad choice of words in my post. Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM
    1. Would you rather have a Rockshox Lyric RC (rebound and compression) or a Fox 36 Float R (rebound) if the price is identical, but there is a 160g weight penalty for the RS?
    Lyrik RC definately, but with the following proviso: Get someone (or yourself) to strip it down and make sure the fork has the right amounts of oil and a little blob of good quality grease on the wiper seals. RS are infamously bad at this last bit of making a fork...

mtbr member
    I'd throw the 55 rc3 ti in the mix. Chainlove has been putting the 2010 up occasionally for $500. 5.3 lbs, butter smooth coil. I love this fork. It blows away the 2 36 talas's that ive had prior. Best AM fork ive ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin
    I'd throw the 55 rc3 ti in the mix. Chainlove has been putting the 2010 up occasionally for $500. 5.3 lbs, butter smooth coil. I love this fork. It blows away the 2 36 talas's that ive had prior. Best AM fork ive ever ridden.

Can you pick up a heavier spring easily for these for us full grown riders ie:235 or is stock heavy enough?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin

Can you pick up a heavier spring easily for these for us full grown riders ie:235 or is stock heavy enough?