Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fork for a mind budget heavy guy all mountain rider!?

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  flyag1 
#1 ·
Hello

Im planning to build an All mountain bike this winter, I have a tight budget, hard times ah:confused: ? Considering that and Im 200 pounds rider, my fork options are: 1) 08 fox 32 talas at $400, that I think could be kind of weak for me, 2) the 08 marzocchi 55 tst2 at $280, and 3) the 07 Rockshox Domain 318 u-turn

Last 2 forks are heavy but reliable, I think, the I heard the tst2 have some issues and the domain besides it is an 07 model has an terrible ugly color.

Any advice?

I had an 07 all mountain 1 with tst not bad but nothing special, what about rockshoxs these years?, is the fox 32 a strong fork for me? My budget is 300-400 no more!!

Thanks

PS: I just post this thread in the suspension forum

#2 ·
200 pounds is really not that heavy. I'm thinking there's a marketing campaign getting people somewhere.

I'd wager that most of the people riding are around that weight.

I'd go for the Domain. Don't buy the Zoke unless it's brand new, from an authorized dealer. You are guaranteed to have problems with it, and zoke will only make good on the guarantee you'll need with it if you bought it properly.

As far as which fork would be strong enough, again, you're not like super heavy that forks are going to break on you. Now what kind of riding do you do?

#5 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
200 pounds is really not that heavy. I'm thinking there's a marketing campaign getting people somewhere.

I'd wager that most of the people riding are around that weight.

I'd go for the Domain. Don't buy the Zoke unless it's brand new, from an authorized dealer. You are guaranteed to have problems with it, and zoke will only make good on the guarantee you'll need with it if you bought it properly.

As far as which fork would be strong enough, again, you're not like super heavy that forks are going to break on you. Now what kind of riding do you do?
Most people on the trails where I am from are a lot less than 200lbs. Most big dudes simply are not into riding mtbs. Yes, there are quite a few clydes out there (I weigh over 200lbs) but, I would put the average weight at around 170-180 pounds for mountain biking males.

Anyways, back to the OP. The RS Pike coil is a fantastic fork for a great price.

#9 ·
I'm British, I guess you were attempting to have a dig at the Japanese because I live in Japan.

It is true that Americans view weight differently. My American friends say they are surprised when they go back, all the chick are so fat! But everyone else thinks they are skinny.

Also, my vote is for the Domain! Excellent fork for the money, I should have got it and spent the spent the money I would have saved from my Lyrik on hookers and blow.

#13 ·
Hey , thanks all for your replies!!!

Jerk chicken: I do lots of pedalling and small drops (2-4 fts), I just moved to Vancouver and the trails here are a little bit more challenging, so.... its time to improve my skills.

Psy cro: I sold the Bullit 2 years ago and got a nomad. I left the nomad in Ecuador :madman: !!! So now Im the north shore, recovering from a bad knee cirgury (thats why I want to pedal more to gain muscles in my legs) and trying to build a tight budget all mountain bike.

So domain is the main option.

More opinons?

#14 ·
PAMATRAIL said:
Hey , thanks all for your replies!!!

Jerk chicken: I do lots of pedalling and small drops (2-4 fts), I just moved to Vancouver and the trails here are a little bit more challenging, so.... its time to improve my skills.

Psy cro: I sold the Bullit 2 years ago and got a nomad. I left the nomad in Ecuador :madman: !!! So now Im the north shore, recovering from a bad knee cirgury (thats why I want to pedal more to gain muscles in my legs) and trying to build a tight budget all mountain bike.

So domain is the main option.

More opinons?
2006-2007 marzocchi forks with RC2 and ETA.. various 66 and Z1 models
(i just got a 2007 Z1 RC2 ETA)

#18 ·
I ride some pretty rugged crosscounty.Some decent jumps and drop offs up to about a foot and a half and dont use nearly all the travel.I weigh 220 without my pack probly close to 230 with it on.I got a good deal on the shock.Its 459 but comes with a 130 dollar Chris King headset free.I had a lot of bad times with Rock Shox so I finaly bit the bullet and parted with the cash for the fox.I am really liking it.I got it at bobs-bicycles.com.Its very plush. I liked that it came with Soft Medium and Stiff springs.I had to buy springs extra with Rock Shox.It is 59 dollars over your budget but worth it.With the headset it brings the cost down to 330.There is no tax and free shipping,Its also a 140mm travel.

#19 ·
PAMATRAIL said:
where can I faind a marzocchi z1 rc2? they are pretty uncommon to find new.

Fox van 32... I heard they are good but no t axel... what kind of rider are you Moodrid?
Got my Z1 from ChainReactionCycles. Definately recommend it over the vanR because of, well everything, compression adjust, through axel, ETA.. etc. Van36RC2 on the other hand ...

#20 ·
Moodrid said:
I ride some pretty rugged crosscounty.Some decent jumps and drop offs up to about a foot and a half and dont use nearly all the travel.I weigh 220 without my pack probly close to 230 with it on.I got a good deal on the shock.Its 459 but comes with a 130 dollar Chris King headset free.I had a lot of bad times with Rock Shox so I finaly bit the bullet and parted with the cash for the fox.I am really liking it.I got it at bobs-bicycles.com.Its very plush. I liked that it came with Soft Medium and Stiff springs.I had to buy springs extra with Rock Shox.It is 59 dollars over your budget but worth it.With the headset it brings the cost down to 330.There is no tax and free shipping,Its also a 140mm travel.
That's a really credible review :rolleyes:

The problem here is displaying clearly how some with little experience are now giving advice, but clearly displaying in their post using vague or laughable information, that they really don't know what they're talking about.

For the Vancouver trails, if they are as rugged as I think, a TA is the way to go. My gf's bike is equipped with the Z1 RC2. I have an 06 Z1 Light in the basement. My good experience with that fork made me equip her bike with one when we built it up.

Here's a shot of it getting washed in the bathtub:

Other photos of our riding are in my photo gallery available on my profile. I also have a DIY on how to service the Z1. It's incredibly easy. It's the Z1 Light, but the Z1 RC2 is 99% the same.

#21 ·
I vote 55TST2 if your willing to mod the thing. I know a lot of peeps will so why buy if you have to mod... well it's about the price! You get a very plush fork that is almost bottomless and is as stiff as my 66. Oh, did I mention the seals don't leak oil, the fork is simple and easy to work on, and the list goes on... I don't think you can beat the 55 TST2 for the money if your willing to open the cartridge.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.