mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Which Fork to get? HELP

Hey guys just got my first MTB last month just got it back from the shop where they gave it a tune and all, it is riding nice now.

Only problem is.... My suspension is rock hard and it is adjusted to the softest setting..

Forks on my bike 30mm oversized and the other number i saw is 120mm. With that being said I have no clue what I am looking for. Thats why i need your help!

Looking for a fairly inexpensive fork that is very soft and absorbs a lot.

Which Fork to get? HELP-bean.jpgthats the bike i have. Please point me in the right direction for some forks!!! and what else i need when swapping

turtles make me hot
    Oh wait... Is your bike a 29er? I listed all 29er forks.
    I like turtles

Thumper
    They might not be the best forks but rock hard isn't right.

Let out all your air pressure, lube up your stanchions and pump back up to correct bar pressure for your weight. Tell us how that works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    They might not be the best forks but rock hard isn't right.

Let out all your air pressure, lube up your stanchions and pump back up to correct bar pressure for your weight. Tell us how that works.
    Follow this advice first, make sure you have the bike setup properly for your weight. What makes you say that it's "rock hard" are you sure there isn't a lockout that you have forgotten to unlock? remember, the real purpose of a suspension is to keep the wheel in contact with the ground, a lot of people tend to think of it as more of a comfort thing for landing softly off of a jump which is only part of the job. the suspension needs to absorb enough to keep the tire in contact with the ground for max traction and speed but still be firm enough so that when you pedal you aren't wasting energy. Now with all of that said, that is a lower end fork you are running. the manitou tower pro tends to be much more on the plush side of things and it also has different springs that can be swapped out to get proper spring rate as well as an air chamber. it's gonna run you about $350

Manitou Tower Pro 80mm/100mm/120mm/140mm 29er Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    his bike is a 26er. why do people keep showing him 29er forks...
    I have a rockshox recon solo air the silver edition and i added a motion control damper from the new argyle fork. I am pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    his bike is a 26er. why do people keep showing him 29er forks...
    I have a rockshox recon solo air the silver edition and i added a motion control damper from the new argyle fork. I am pretty happy with it.
    Because his quest for a bike started in this thread in the 29er forum and he directed us over here and I don't think we even realized that it wasn't a 29er
    Beginner build help

mtbr member
    Here's a couple good options. The only other thing you'll need to have is either a local shop or a friend with the right tools and knowledge install it.

Name:  315_roc052_0.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  8.2 KB

RockShox Recon Silver TK Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Name:  315_man082_0.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  7.8 KB

Manitou Match Comp 100mm/130mm Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

EDIT: Looks like Price Point is having a sale now as well. You could save $25 on both of those forks if you use the coupon code SAVEBIG

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys!!!! All help is great! I will first try and let the air out and take it from there.. Keep you guys posted

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

You want about 10-15mm sag

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

Empty the fork. Refill it cycle the fork a few times. Put a zip tie on the fork to measure sag then sit on it

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

Than measure how much higher the zip tie is when you get off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which Fork to get? HELP-image.jpgHey guys having and issue I can only screw the black knob so much it won't come off? Any help?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

Do you have a coil fork or air fork?

mtbr member
    Bring it back to the shop and ask for help tuning the fork. You probably have a coil fork in which case that black knob would adjust the preload. One end would probably be a lock out (why your fork is rock hard) and the other end is probably too soft. You should be able to push down on the handle bars and feel the difference. Twist the knob until you find a good preload you like. Also there could be more adjustments like rebound at the bottom of the fork legs (near the hub on the wheel). If none of this helps then definitely go to the shop and ask for help.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which Fork to get? HELP-image.jpgOk yea it is a preload its all the way to the softest setting on the bottom of the fork there are Allen nuts? Do they do anything ?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

That is for pulling the forks apart. Don't touch unless servicing

mtbr member
    May 2010

Which Fork to get? HELP

You could put a different spring in the fork if available. But upgrading your fork entirely would be a great upgrade and and make the bike feel much plusher.

mtbr member
    As shreddin22 said, thats to take apart/service the fork.

How much do you weigh? its possible the spring is for a heavier rider and changing it would solve the problem but Im leaning towards there is something wrong with the fork. A low end fork is typically spec'd for lighter riders and the heavier (200lbs+) guys would be the ones out of luck with a fork that is too soft. If you just bought it from a shop, definitely take it back so they can diagnose the problem and get a warranty repair/replacement. If the fork is bad, the bike company could even warranty with an upgraded fork.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got a 2008 Cannondale 29er Caffeine frame that I want to get riding. I'm figuring out some things thanks to some guidance here, and have also ordered the Zinn boob on MB maintenance.
    So the first part I want to buy for it is the fork - one of the Rockshox models such as the Recon silver TK or Reba. If I can save some $ on a good used or new one on ebay, so much the better, but I still have some confusion on the specs. The website below says it uses an 80mm travel fork,
    2008 Cannondale 29'er 4 - BikePedia

but all of the ones I see listed on ebay or even pricepoint only have 100mm travel forks. Are the 80 and 100mm forks different models in the Rockshox line? Their website is not very clear on this. Or are they adjustable and I set it up for 80mm travel? Is 80mm a restriction on the Caffeine frame due to the geometry of the frame, and then set it up for 100mm, or will the tire hit the frame at full compression?

Thanks
    Last edited by JQ66; 07-22-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    generally speaking you want to go with the same travel for safetys sake but most will tell you that changing by 20 mm is safe. IF you change to drastically you screw up geometry and run the risk of tearing the head tube off while riding. you could consider going with a ridgid fork that is suspension corrected as well . look around and see if you can find someone with a gently used Manitou Tower Pro 80 or 100. last winter they were blowing them out for $350 new so you may still find some deals on new ones. I don't know what sized headtube you have on that frame but being that it's from 2008, it probably has a 1 1/8" steertube while many modern fork offerings now have tapered steerers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It is 1-1/8". It seems you may be able to change the travel by swapping out spring internals, but I want to make sure before I spend the $.
    I do have a few bike shops nearby and that is an option for info as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JQ66 View Post
    It is 1-1/8". It seems you may be able to change the travel by swapping out spring internals, but I want to make sure before I spend the $.
    I do have a few bike shops nearby and that is an option for info as well.
    Like I said, you will be fine if you go to a 100mm. you probably don't want to go to 120 but it's possible particularly if you aren't doing crazy stuff with it that a bike of that design isn't meant to do i.e. Big drops, jumps, etc

Thumper
    JQ66, 80mm is not a restriction. It is a guideline by the manufacturer for best ride geometry for the bikes purpose followed by (as cpfitness mentioned: headtube is built to handle stress points and yours is built around a 80mm fork on frame stance).

80mm will handle more like a fighter jet through technical. 100mm less so but really not much dif. Anything over 100mm isn't really for xc in my opinion. I personally am not afraid to change up the travel 50mm either way after talking to some manufacturers but that's me and recommended by no one. I have 80mm and 90mm forks for xc, all mountain and fatbike. My downhill will have 120mm+

It's going to be up to you on riding style and comfort preference.

I suggest buying a good used fork read to roll.

Good Luck