mtbr member
    Jul 2007

which fork to get?

i'm looking for a fox fork but i don't know which one
    i do a lot of aggressive trails going uphill and downhill
    i want a fork that can handle the aggressiveness of a trail and can handle light drops and still be able to climb

Former Bike Wrench
    The Vanilla, Float, and Talas can all handle the riding your describing...so you need to decide which features (and price) you want.

Vanilla-Coil spring, supple, light for a coil spring fork

Float-Air spring, lightest of the three, a little more $$$ than the Vanilla

Talas-Air spring, lighter than the Vanilla, adjustable travel nice for climbing, most $$$

You also need to figure out what travel you want and if your using a quick release axle or a thru axle. The 32 line uses a quick release and will be 140mm travel max. The 36 line uses a 20mm thru axle and has 160mm travel max...and is also a bit heavier and more $$$

Still a child inside...

If you're aggro i would recommend the Van. Coil, simple and ready to abusing.
    If you are MORE agressive, then go for a 66. Man, that thing is a MONSTER!!!

Still a child inside...

If you're aggro i would recommend the Van. Coil, simple and ready to abusing.
    If you are MORE agressive, then go for a 66. Man, that thing is a MONSTER!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What about the Marzocchi AM series. The AM 1 or 2. Not the SL though I haven't heard great things about it yet.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    TALAS works for me.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    i do very similar riding on my heckler. used to have 05 zocchi AM2's. they were great, gotta love ETA - it just works, and it's as effective as having an extra low gear. now i got 06 36 talas on the heckler. the fox's are ok, stiffer than the AM2's mostly because of the 20mm thru-axle, which is well worth having.

however, my next forks will be zocchi's again. fox forks need regular servicing if you wnat them to work as they should. with zocchi's you just keep beating the sh!t out of 'em for a couple of years (maybe change the oil annually) which by that time you're ready to replace with the latest generation anyway.

i'd get some zocchi's with ETA, probably 66's, but any zocchi's with 20mm thru-axle will do the trick nicely. i'm oldschool, and i simply wouldn't trust rock shox because they used to be such noodly POS forks. manitou just used to fall to pieces after a season.

good luck man!
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    36 TALAS if you're looking for a Fox.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    I can't believe no one has asked what frame this fork would be going on. That's probably the biggest deciding factor here.

So what's the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeti 575

mtbr member

Market overload for used Fox shocks!

Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    36 TALAS if you're looking for a Fox.
    I see you have one for sale; SO DO I, LOL!!! I also have a Talas 32 that will probably be for sale too. And I hear what you're sayin m0ngy but RS got their act back toogether since the SRAM buyout and now, as much as I'd hate to admit it, their damping systems are so far superior to anything Fox has it's ridiculous. rrt1991 I'd get a Pike or a Lyrik if I were you!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Why a Fox in particular? Lots of happy 575 in the Yeti forum running alternatives (typically the RS Pike).

mtbr member
    I have a TALAS 32 and it's awesome, so I imagine a 36 would be even stiffer if you need that. I just wish for bar-mounted travel adjustment since I use it so often.

The guy with 5 kids
    I've ridden fox float 140's, talas 32, revelation 426, a cheap manitou 130mm, reba on a spyder 29er, and Pike 454 dual air. Put them through the paces on the same trails. I just got my new bike last week. The first order of business when I ordered was to get an after market Pike 454. It is still light at 4.7 lbs and you will feel like superman on the downhills-guaranteed!

dave