Riiiiiide...

Fork..Finally!..pics

So finally got around to making some pics with the new fork. Quite happy so far.. Night and day difference between RC2 damping and SSV.. not to mention 20mm vs QR. After one day on the fork i just had to take it apart!! I added 20ml oil to each leg to prevent bottoming and can now use very little air preload. And since i was playing with the oil in the fork i also decided to play with the shock. I put somewhere in between 3-5ml of oil into the boost chamber.. i now use 5psi less air pressure than before and have better bottom out resistance .

The orange color turned out much better than i thought it would, the bike has an old-schoolish look to it now. Im using 7 clicks of low speed compression and love the way the bike corners now, much more controlled.

Next up.. Gravity Dropper!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Very nice fork. Spend some time setting it up just right for you with oil levels, etc and you will be amazed. After you do that you will just need to change the oil once a year and ride. No reliability problems like on the new ones.

I've had mine a while now and every time I ride I am impressed with it

mtbr member
    How much travel do you have front and rear?
    Nice!

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    How much travel do you have front and rear?
    Nice!
    6x6 .. or.. 152.4x152.4
    Now the head angle is down to 67.5.. got the bike just how i want.. well, less an Avy!

mtbr member
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    I have similar set up to my KHS, the biggest improvement was to change the Hone rear derailer to a normal one that hangs off the hanger not the axle. Even with the armored Hone derailer attached to the axle I still bent two hangers, so I bolted on a Deore derailer and it shifts smooth like thru hot butter. with the Hone shifts were fague and slow.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    I have similar set up to my KHS, the biggest improvement was to change the Hone rear derailer to a normal one that hangs off the hanger not the axle. Even with the armored Hone derailer attached to the axle I still bent two hangers, so I bolted on a Deore derailer and it shifts smooth like thru hot butter. with the Hone shifts were fague and slow.
    How did you trash 2 hangers when the der doesnt even mount on 'em?? Ive got a Saint on there right now by the way.. also on the axle.

mtbr member
    First one in a rock garden I fell derailer facing down, next time on a bad rocky stairstep l crash. If you put enough pressure on the derailluer it will bend the hanger, the outer armored face of the derailer was kinda scratched up. I love the way the Deore derailluer shifts! I hope I don't knock it off on some rocks!! I think my bike is snake bit, but thats a whole other story. heh!

BTW I was first tempted to get the Marz fork. but after reading all the complaints, I opted for the PIke. I still reserve the right to envy your fork : )

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    good looking bike!!!

mtbr member
    I just received my Z1 RC2 for my RFX so this was a timely post. Good feedback on the fork, out of curiosity how much do you weigh? Just want to get an idea if adding the extra oil is something I will want to do right away.

dave
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    I just received my Z1 RC2 for my RFX so this was a timely post. Good feedback on the fork, out of curiosity how much do you weigh? Just want to get an idea if adding the extra oil is something I will want to do right away.

dave
    I weigh around 190lbs and have the same fork. I'm not sure what you mean about adding the extra oil. To be honest, if you just got the fork I would make sure the oil levels are about 45mm from the top, with the spring out and fork compressed. Ride it like that for a while and then decide if you need more oil to increase bottom out resistance. Unless you are significantly heavier than me, I don't think you'll need any.

mtbr member
    Sorry, the oil question was for the OP because he said he added 20ml oil to each side. I weigh 185 so I will check oil height before I ride it. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Riiiiiide...
    Well im 160 and managed to bottom it with factory oil height. At first i could bottom it just by braking really hard with the front brake and 'slam dunking' the fork down. I then added 10ml to each side. Couldnt bottom it anymore using above said method. Then i went several times off a 3.5foot drop to flat. The first time i landed with absolutely no flow and bottomed it more than i wish to remember. Tried again several times with a proper landing and everything was ok. Anyways i decided to put some more oil just in case.. 5ml probably would have been enough but i added another 10. Now i use minimal air preload and 7 clicks of LSC.
    And no, i havent any idea how much oil is in there measured from the top or in cc!

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Based on what you describe you probably had too low oil level to begin with, which seems to be a problem with these forks.

I actually use my fork for the DH resorts here on the east coast and using my settings have never heard the dreaded bottom out clunk and seem to be using full travel while getting a nice plush ride throughout.