mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Fork decisions for AM Hardtail

I have been riding a 29er Hardtail as my single ride it all bike for the past year. It is set up with a 120mm but I find myself gravitating to more technical and steeper trails and riding (I like riding this stuff more on the hardtail than any of the the full suspension bikes I have owned-weird right?). Point of the story I am looking at going slacker and longer up front to the tune of a 140mm fork.

Just opening it up for opinions- Is a new Rockshox Pike going to be overkill for a hardtail or will a Revelation with the skinnier stanchions and slightly simpler technology do me fine? Any other forks other than a Fox 34 that I should be looking at? I've heard pretty good things about the new X-Fusion line up

If anybody cares what it is going on it's a Trek Stache set up Singlering full guide, Reverb, I9s, 750mm bars/stubby stem. Give me your fork related opinions!

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I have a Pike 150 on my Diamondback Mason and its phenomenal. It's a dual position fork (120mm) but I rarely use the shorter setting.

If you have the means I highly recommend the Pike.

mtbr member
    Check out a Talas. Great adjustable fork. Mine was 100/120/140.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    I have a Pike 150 on my Diamondback Mason
    That is one burly looking bike The seat to bar height difference scares me though.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Yeah, that's in 120 mode which I reserve for only the steepest climbs.

Extended to the full 150 its more "friendly."

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal4Fun View Post
    I have been riding a 29er Hardtail as my single ride it all bike for the past year. It is set up with a 120mm but I find myself gravitating to more technical and steeper trails and riding (I like riding this stuff more on the hardtail than any of the the full suspension bikes I have owned-weird right?). Point of the story I am looking at going slacker and longer up front to the tune of a 140mm fork.

Just opening it up for opinions- Is a new Rockshox Pike going to be overkill for a hardtail or will a Revelation with the skinnier stanchions and slightly simpler technology do me fine? Any other forks other than a Fox 34 that I should be looking at? I've heard pretty good things about the new X-Fusion line up

If anybody cares what it is going on it's a Trek Stache set up Singlering full guide, Reverb, I9s, 750mm bars/stubby stem. Give me your fork related opinions!

I will never own another 32mm fork unless I am building it up for pure XC. When I switched to a 35mm stanchion, I was blown away at how much my sektor flexed before. Tracking and control is much better on a thicker fork. I would go for the Pike IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    im not sure if its "all mountain enough" for the stuff that you ride, but i havent had any problems with my FOX Talas 32 140mm CTD. it adjusts to 120mm and is a perfect set up for me coupled with my 456.

Prime
    Pike is way nicer than a Talas, or a Fox period, for that matter. At this point in time, the Pike is the nicest fork available. 140 is not overkill on a HT.

Fork decisions for AM Hardtail-img_0483.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @optimus
    never really got to try anything else other than fox,
    why do you say so? would be interesting to hear.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    @optimus
    never really got to try anything else other than fox,
    why do you say so? would be interesting to hear.
    I was die hard Fox for years, but this new RS is unbelievable. Super smooth, super plush, ramps up nice at the bottom of the stroke, bottomless feel, super stiff, responds real well to twiddling with the knobs on it, best fork by far available at this point in time. I bought a Pike for my Prime as soon as the forks were available, because I was unhappy with the way that my F34 complimented my CCDBair. After about three rides, I went right back out and bought another Pike for my Paradox, replacing the 120mm Talas on it. If you were to ride one, you would agree, I guarantee it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @optimus

thanks for sharing. pretty much everyone around me is a fox diehard and only a handful
    have RS. interesting that you cited knob twiddling as a good experience on the RS, as i on the other hand have a good experience of setting an forgetting on the fox. i will now definitely give it a go when i have the chance to try, would be good to compare even if just for the sake of finding out.

Prime
    @hapeepotter, I might add, I was never much impressed with RS, until this new Pike. They definitely raised the bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ride a HT with 150mm up front, up from my original 135mm. As far as the change in geometry I noticed a significant loss in control of the front wheel in steep sections of climbs, but that was overwhelmingly outweighed by the benefits felt on the DH's. Based on my own and my buddies' experiences I would say go with the FOX 34. If you're really worried about climbing efficiency the TALAS is a great option, but personally I would say save the weight, leave it in "trail" all day and let your body weight push it down when you lean over the bars for the more burly sections of the climb. I much prefer the "set-it-and-forget-it" style and while I can't speak for the RS I can tell you the FOX left in "trail" mode with about 5psi more pressure than recommended for sag will give you good times all day everyday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have ridden with a 454 pike and marz 66 on my Surge. 140 is a pretty sweet spot for trail/AM. I can ride pretty aggressively like that. I didn't notice much of a difference in going from 35mm to 32mm with 20mm thru axle. At the speeds and terrain that I'd normally notice flex, I'm bouncing around the rear too much to even notice.

Look at the x-fusion forks, I've been impressed with all the ones that I've played around on. I'd probably have one on my bike if I had more $
    Just another redneck with a bike