mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Are Folding Mountain Bikes any good??

i've seen some from around the web like Montague and Dahon etc...are they any good? how do they compare to like a Trek 4300/4500 or so...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm not interested in finding out the hard way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    They sound heavy and foldy.

mtbr member
    thing's that'll get me to a trauma center for 500, Alex.
    always face the herd

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah maybe but you gotta know when to hold 'em - you gotta know when to fold 'em.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    In the case of the Dahon, it's an excellent bike. Not good-for a folder, it's good on it's own merit.

But you can forget ever setting hands on one for less $2k. For Trek 4500 money you can't get a very durable folding bike, the little 20in wheel folders are fine for on road riding, but show them rocks and they rattle apart pretty quick.

I know nothing about Montague folders.

If you have a (steel) frame you like, a set S&S couplers will set you back $600-1000ish including getting someone to modify the frame and fit them, they work a treat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i'm around 5'3" in height which would put me in the 15-16"frame. the Montague x50 16inch looked kind of nice and seems to be handling well on some of the youtube videos. granted, i plan on hitting roads and trails only, nothing in heavy extreme biking...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Slingshot Fold-Tech is reportedly fairly sturdy.

Ibis Tranny can be disassembled for travel. Two bolts. That's a sweet, light frame.

mtbr member
    Tranny is a great suggestion. Looking at that dahon you can't even tell it's a folding bike but at $2-$3k doesn't seem worth it. It looks like you can pack up a Tranny in the same manner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    sucks that montague doesn't have any 16inch for the paratrooper or higher end model...now if only i could find the x50 frame by itself...

mtbr member
    Erm, this is the "All Mountain" forum, right?

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by doin
    Sounds like the camping bike forum to me.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that Dahon looks like a legit bike. I don't think I would even notice it was a folding bike unless I really stopped and looked it over. That said from the description they give ("perfect for smooth single-track......"), it is intended for not very aggressive riding. Since you are posting on a board geared towards "AM" bikes, it is very obviously NOT an AM bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    If you're cruising from your 47' Beneteau to the yacht club's club house then yes, they are.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doin
    If that mountain requires a plane trip, yes, it is very relevant. Or if you want to throw your bike inside you car for a ride after work.

I was disassembling rear triangle on my full suspension frame for Moab trips, and my car is large enough to throw a bike in, without folding the second row of seat (with two child seats there), but something like Tranny, or Fold-Tech, or Dahon or, especially, a custom frame with SS couplers, is nothing to sneeze at.

but yeah, strictly speaking a 100mm forked hardtail is not in "AM" category.

Maybe getting something like 456 and throwing S&S couplers on it? That should be under $1k for the frame total...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You're all right - it would be nice to know what the OP intends to ride with this creasable bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Folding bikes = Fail

I have never seen one that works well enough to justify the ease transportation of it, I would rather take my fork and wheels off a bike rather then ever ride any folding bike I have ever seen.