Registered text offender
    Dec 2011

Foes Shaver demo'ed

I took a trip to Foes Racing this afternoon to demo a Shaver. Never has a company treated me so well.

The one who answered when I called and offered me a demo was a fellow named Bruno. The ride lasted 3 ½ hours and I pelted Bruno with questions the entire time to which he was all too happy to answer. The impression I got from Bruno was one of a sincere belief in the product he is promoting and a great deal of respect for Brent Foes.

The Shaver is just flat out strong, stiff, and the quality of workmanship cannot be overstated. The suspension worked very well for me. The intermediate link which drives the shock provides a motion progression that sweeps from a falling rate initially, flattens, and curves to a rising rate. The Shaver was noticeably more firm through the beginning of the suspension stroke, but I liked it as I felt feedback connecting me to the trail without being harsh. My Titus El Guapo feels more plush but bobs a bit more than the Shaver while climbing.

The adjustable travel between 5.25” and 5.75” made a very noticeable impact on the trail, I would venture to say the leverage ratio between these two settings calls for different shock psi to really get the suspension dialed for one’s particular trail and usage, in other words if you switch the travel adjust link re-check sag.

All in all this was a great experience. The guys at the shop were personable and equally as fanatical about bicycles as myself and for the paltry sum of 60 bucks I got to ride a new trail on a very fun bike, the cost of which is applicable towards the frame purchase should I decide to buy.

I believe the Shaver to be a top shelf bike and Foes Racings customer service ranks a ten out of ten. If your in the market for a new bike Foes is worth your consideration.

And if you're within driving distance of Pasadena, CA and plan to take Bruno up on a demo bring your A game cause that dude can ride!

brownpow! (?)
    Foes rocks, beautifully made in the USA. I dealt with Bruno when looking at FXR frames, seems like a good guy. I'm very happy with my '11 FXR (6.5") but am considering getting a '12 because they now have the adjustable link (6.3-7").
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Would love a Foes...

conjoinicorned
    the shaver is on the top of the list for a new bike. i can't wait to hear more reviews, thanks for posting yours!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    A very interesting bike... would love to demo one. I have to say I prefer the aesthetics of the proto version... looked quite a bit cleaner imo. Wonder if one of those could be done up.

First Ride: Foes 2011 Shaver All-Mountain Prototype - Pinkbike