Thread: foam grips

Bike Geek

foam grips

I am thinking of putting some foam grips on my trail/all mountain bike. I like the feel of foam Ritchey grips. Does anyone use them on their heavy duty bike? I am just curious. I am wondering if I will be changing grips a lot due to durability issues.
    RIP AL DAVIS

old broken downhiller
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    I am wondering if I will be changing grips a lot due to durability issues.
    Yep, you will. Just the friction of your gloves against them during normal riding conditions will abrade them quickly. Not to mention crashing ,they just get torn up. Even sitting your bike upside-down in gravel will damage them.

Their only real advantage is the light weight. If you're counting every gram you add to your bike they are helpful, but there are compromises...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

mtbr member
    ESI Chunky are the most comfy grips I've ever used (the big Sunline's lock-ons were second). I highly recommend them. They are soft and cushy but they don't fall apart and I haven't noticed any wear from use. They also don't slip ever even without glue/hairspray/etc

Here is a picture of mine after ~5 months of use. They still look as good 4 months later too

If you do plan on crashing a lot they will tear though. It bothered me the one time I tore a pair on my last bike, but that "superman" crash was pretty spectacular anyway. I realized that I like these grips so much I would gladly pay for a replacement pair if did something stupid

mtbr member
    Bontrager Race X Lite foam grips are tougher and more comfortable than Ritchey’s but Bontrager has stopped making the larger diameter ones leaving the smaller diameter ones which slip on the bars a lot more. I’m guessing you all mountain riders won’t accept slipping grips…

Really I’m not impressed with either, I can’t get the grip diameter I want from Bontrager and it’s impossible to get more than 1 or 2 months out of Ritchey’s so my next grips will be Ergon’s, hopefully that will pay off.

I suggest you try the ESI Chunky's like Boomn said...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ESI Chunky are the most comfy grips I've ever used (the big Sunline's lock-ons were second). I highly recommend them. They are soft and cushy but they don't fall apart and I haven't noticed any wear from use. They also don't slip ever even without glue/hairspray/etc

Here is a picture of mine after ~5 months of use. They still look as good 4 months later too

If you do plan on crashing a lot they will tear though. It bothered me the one time I tore a pair on my last bike, but that "superman" crash was pretty spectacular anyway. I realized that I like these grips so much I would gladly pay for a replacement pair if did something stupid

Agreed!!!

ive used them for DH to XC....both the chunky and the thin racer model.

i recommend using large dia. bar plugs that help prevent the ESI grip from ripping when laying the bike down.....

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Esi...

ESI are the way to go...best soft grips I have ever tried.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

fux
    Scooterist
    Same here, esi....
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    yup, my esi's are a year old and still in good shape!

eBiker
    Love the Ritchey grips, they are very comfy, but they tear like posted above.

I'm going to try the ESI next.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    I am thinking of putting some foam grips on my trail/all mountain bike. I like the feel of foam Ritchey grips. Does anyone use them on their heavy duty bike? I am just curious. I am wondering if I will be changing grips a lot due to durability issues.
    Telling me that you can still buy foam grips is a bit like telling me you have Neanderthal family living next door that keeps do-dos for pets.