Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    Flume Trail vs. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

    Okay, so I would say I'm a beginner/intermediate rider who only got serious this spring. I've been riding things out here near NYC: Blue Mountain, Graham Hill, Beth Page, Stillwell Woods. I handle myself okay, provided I go at my own pace. When I'm trying to keep up with faster, more experienced buddies, like last weekend, I'll do my fair share of endos on steep technical descents.

    The long and short of this post: I'm going to Lake Tahoe later this month. And I'll have time for one ride. I'm wondering whether I should rent a bike and hit the Flume Trail or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I've been reading about the latter, and it sounds juicy. But will I be overmatched?

    Anyone every ride these trails?

    BTW, I'm posting here, b/c the All Mountain forum feels like my home, and you all are my homies...
    Last edited by madgeronimo; 08-09-2006 at 06:24 AM.

  2. #2
    29 some of the time...
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,945
    Flume is a must see for the views, but it is not technical at all. Toads is technical and I have not heard a single person come back complaining about it. If it were my choice I would do Toads

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    Even for someone at my level--beginner/intermediate?

    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Flume is a must see for the views, but it is not technical at all. Toads is technical and I have not heard a single person come back complaining about it. If it were my choice I would do Toads
    Even for someone at my level--beginner/intermediate?

  4. #4
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Hard to say from your skills description and the type of riding you do now (not familiar with the areas you describe). One area's beginner/intermediate riding can be another area's advanced/expert riding (like going from BC to SF Bay Area). Flume trail in and of itself isn't that exciting; combine it with the Tahoe Rim Trail, say starting at Tahoe Meadows and make the Flume Trail just part of the ride would be a good way to go for great views and more challenge. Hole in the Ground might be an option as well. Toad's is pretty technical and might be over your head in parts...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  5. #5
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Hard to say from your skills description and the type of riding you do now (not familiar with the areas you describe). One area's beginner/intermediate riding can be another area's advanced/expert riding (like going from BC to SF Bay Area). Flume trail in and of itself isn't that exciting; combine it with the Tahoe Rim Trail, say starting at Tahoe Meadows and make the Flume Trail just part of the ride would be a good way to go for great views and more challenge. Hole in the Ground might be an option as well. Toad's is pretty technical and might be over your head in parts...
    yeah what Bikinfoolferlife said..a few weekes ago I did those exact two rides back to back and you can see some pics and ride profile here Little weekend ride report with MkIII content..

    Toads would be my pick - BUT it's a lot of climbing at the beginning and the descent is pretty technical. If you burn yourself out on the climb, the descent will 1) not be fun 2) potentially dangerous if youre skill levels arent up to par

    Flume is awesome for the views but not technical at all! It was my first time doing Flume and Im pretty damn glad I did the ride but I will be a while before I do it again. I would rather ride Toads twice than flume again.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    Your pics are of...

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    yeah what Bikinfoolferlife said..a few weekes ago I did those exact two rides back to back and you can see some pics and ride profile here Little weekend ride report with MkIII content..

    Toads would be my pick - BUT it's a lot of climbing at the beginning and the descent is pretty technical. If you burn yourself out on the climb, the descent will 1) not be fun 2) potentially dangerous if youre skill levels arent up to par

    Flume is awesome for the views but not technical at all! It was my first time doing Flume and Im pretty damn glad I did the ride but I will be a while before I do it again. I would rather ride Toads twice than flume again.
    Are your pics of the Tahoe Rim and Flume Trail exclusively? I saw "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" at the top of your first pic. Please let me know. And thanks for responding!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,916
    (QUOTE) I'll do my fair share of endos on steep technical descents.

    If you don't drop your seat or manage bike handling skills you will shorten your mt biking career - endo's are not a good thing. Flume is XC exclusive where Toads is a pure AM ride w/ one really nasty section.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madgeronimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    198

    ... and if we just ... How nastay...?

    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    (QUOTE) I'll do my fair share of endos on steep technical descents.

    If you don't drop your seat or manage bike handling skills you will shorten your mt biking career - endo's are not a good thing. Flume is XC exclusive where Toads is a pure AM ride w/ one really nasty section.
    Hi, your words of caution are definitely heeded. Like I said, I only ended up going over the handlebars (um, twice) because I was trying to keep up with a buddy who used to downhill. Now, I wasn't pushing myself to the point of recklessness--I wasn't going at crazy speed. But I was definitely testing my limits on these short but tree-strewn and stepped mini-ravine-like East Coast style descents we had. And my buddy was giving me pointers and we were going over the parts of the trail that were beating me. It was, bumps and bruises and all, educational.

    When I do go at my own pace, I'm a naturally cautious guy. I asked the Flume vs. Toad's Wild Ride question because with time for just one ride, I want to make sure I have a good time and don't spend all day with my sphincter clenched or walking through rock gardens that are too much for me.

    And like I said, thanks to all for your advice. I'm still mulling it over... I mean, what a sweet dilemma--Flume Trail vs. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

  9. #9
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by madgeronimo
    Are your pics of the Tahoe Rim and Flume Trail exclusively? I saw "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" at the top of your first pic. Please let me know. And thanks for responding!
    My first post contains pics of Toads and my 2nd post are all pics from Flume.

    In order to get to Toads, you have to climb up Rim - Saxon Cr. is there Toad's starts (e.g. where the fun starts!!!)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    84
    If you have significant concern's about Toads, skip it to be on the safe side and ride the rim trail from the Tahoe Meadows (MTB on even days only), around Marlette (only significant climb) and back on the flume side, or arrange a morning shuttle with the company that operates out of the Spooner side to Tahoe Meadows and ride from the Meadows down Tunnel Creek Road to the Flume and ride that all the way to Spooner. Its much less technical, doesn't have the high altitude climbing and is a net loss in elevation. It's also one of the most beautiful rides in the area from a scenery standpoint. You can make the TRT section as technical and as fun as you want w/ all the little jumps and rocks and the few techy sections without getting yourself in trouble.

    Don't underestimate the effects of altitude.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •