mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Flow Rims - What's the best set-up

Hi
    Just got some Stan's Flow rims mounted on Hope Pro 2 Straight Pull hubs. What tubleless set-up do you find works best?

1. Yellow rim tape only plus UST?
    2. Yellow rim tape only plus non-UST (does this work?)
    3 Or any of the above but with rim strips?
    4 Or any of the above plus sealant?

Also, I think I read somewhere that you can't use Conti Rubber Queen or MK's run ghetto? Anybody know about this?

I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Probably yellow tape + tubeless ready (non-UST) tire with sealant - like Geax TNT series tires, or Specialized 2Bliss - they have a UST bead, but lighter overall then UST.

Did a setup of Geax TNT on 355 rims, seems like a good fit, besides some problems with their stem worked fine so far..

Surfing trails
    On my Flow rims I use yellow tape + Stan's sealant + Kenda UST tires. I need to add air about every 3-4 weeks but that's it.

Dual Squishy...
    I use the yellow rim tape and whatever tire I want with the Stan's Juice. I have run a Weirwolf 2.5 (Non-UST) and Mt. King 2.4 (Non-UST). I usually have about 5+ flats a season (mid 40 PSI) with tubes, but since going to that set-up back in June, not a single flat AND running around 32 PSI now with awesome traction results...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I always run just the yellow tape on stans rims - no rim strip is needed. You only need rim strips for 'normal' rims. I'm big on not running UST tires because they are heavy pigs.

Tires I've run on the flows, all are regular tires and not UST or tubeless ready.

- schwalbe big betty 2.4, nobby nic 2.4, both with 'snakeskin' sidewall: super easy set up, no leakage. Easiest stans setup ever!

- wtb mutano raptor 2.4: pretty easy set up. these are the regular tires and not the race.

- maxxis ignitor: fairly easy setup, thin sidewall. Sidewall cut on a rock 2 weeks later terminated this tire.

In general the thinner the sidewall the more tricky the setup will probably be. For example on my stans olympic rims:

- conti race king 2.2: frickin hassle. Thought I'd never get them to air up, then once aired up it took a few days to get them to hold air reliably. They sure are light though, and fast.

- maxxis crossmark 2.1: I don't remember as much hassle with these, but they sure weren't like the big schwalbes with the ease of setup. Lots of soap and air compressor time if I remember correctly.

Other experiences:

- mavic 519s with stans strips: mutanos work well on this setup.

- mavic 317s with stans strips: blew some intense tires off the rim with this setup, intense tires are not on stans approved list. After that got some specialized xc tires, which are approved, and they also blew off the rims. Gave up on tubeless with these rims.

mtbr member
    Depending on the tire, and as long as you use sealant all of the above are possible and can be good. Most people use yellow tape, often with UST. If the tire fits tight then it doesn't have to be UST.

You will have the best luck inflating and sealing if you use a rubber strip. I use non UST tires, and a rubber strip (20" tube actually) and it is easy and secure. I personally feel that if you are agressive AM then you should use a strip if you aren't using UST. I just feel it's the safest.

Be sure that your tire is tight before you go ride it! If it's really hard to infleate but you somehow get it to finally seat and it's leaking like crazy for 3 days before it finally holds air then there is a high likelyhood it will burp or blow off the rim.

Flows are nice and tight with just about every tire i've tried so far so you should have good luck with your tire selection.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    I'm running Flow's with yellow tape and sealant. I mounted Schwalbe Nobby Nics with no problems. My recommendation is to follow the advice by Stan himself. Watch the tape mounting video's and do it exactly as he does it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flow Rims - What's the best set-up-badass-bike.jpg  

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Yellow tape and sealant...Running 2.35 Excavators non ust..As posted above, I add air maybe once a month and it's not much..
    I run 'em at 27-30 psi and weigh 200#.Haven't had any problems yet..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ansible, are you running just yellow tape or yellow tape with sealant? Thanks for you input, much appreciated.

wuss
    I got UST high rollers with my flow rims expecting to be able to run them with out sealant. Of course this did not work, they leaked from the valve's root. I'm going to replace them with non-UST tires since I don't think there is any point to have the weight gain of UST tires if you are using sealant anyway...

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    I got UST high rollers with my flow rims expecting to be able to run them with out sealant. Of course this did not work, they leaked from the valve's root. I'm going to replace them with non-UST tires since I don't think there is any point to have the weight gain of UST tires if you are using sealant anyway...
    The Stans valve stem should seal on its own with no sealant. As you know, it's just a rubber grommet underneath that compresses against the inside of the rim when you tighten the knurled valve stem nut. I heard some air hissing from the stem on one of my wheels during a test mount before putting any sealant in, and tightening the nut sealed it up all the way. I'd suggest loosening the valve stem and unseating it, then spraying soapy water on the base, allowing it to wet the contact area inside the rim. When you tighten the nut, the stem will seal right up.

But you are right that it makes no sense to take the weight penalty of tubeless tires when you can run non UST. Just get a tire with a decent sidewall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    The Stans valve stem should seal on its own with no sealant.
    It should, but each one I ever installed gave me hassle before they did - and a couple of destroyed valves pulled through with tightening by hand. Compared to UST valves, not the most robust design, IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    It should, but each one I ever installed gave me hassle before they did - and a couple of destroyed valves pulled through with tightening by hand. Compared to UST valves, not the most robust design, IMHO.

Probably a stupid question but why cant you use a UST valve with Stans tape and sealant? (on a stans rim)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Ansible, are you running just yellow tape or yellow tape with sealant? Thanks for you input, much appreciated.
    Yellow tape and sealant!