Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Take a serious look at the Crampon Ultimates. They're a fantastic pedal. I bought mine specifically as a desert pedal to save my twenty6 Predators from UT trip abuse, and I am really impressed with them. They're $150 direct from the Brothers, come in a bunch of colors, and are really thin. Really strong, too. The pins are stout and can be installed point up or point down. I prefer point up so that I can use the hex wrench from the opposite side and advance the pin threads out if I bend one. That said, I've given them some really good whacks and the pins are still all straight.
    FWIW, I got a set of Ultimates a week ago and they came with grub screws, not the pointed pins. I really wanted the pointed pins because they look like they'd be easier on the shins. The grubs have a head on both sides so if you grind or break the top one off you can still use a hex wrench to get them out from the bottom.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

beater
    Huh. Yeah, I have yet to cut myself on the Ultimate pins. It was an everyday occurrence with my Predators.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    I snapped my loaded cromo pedals at the threads so I got big boy pedals, the e13 lg1 flats and man are they grippy! I have to lift my feet off the pedals just like I would with my eggbeaters, they are almost as grippy feeling as being clipless
    Pinkbike did a write up on the lg1's and said they have no peer when it comes to grip. I like my point one podiums but traction is nothing special even after being tapped for straitline pins. I like that e13 is using the same material they use on their bash guards too. I'm sure they slid off rocks better than any metal pedal. Only things I dont' like are bushings instead of bearings and weight. Considering how large they are they really aren't that heavy. Spin control is pretty cool too!

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    .......Take a serious look at the Crampon Ultimates. They're a fantastic pedal. I bought mine specifically as a desert pedal to save my twenty6 Predators from UT trip abuse, and I am really impressed with them. They're $150 direct from the Brothers, come in a bunch of colors, and are really thin. Really strong, too. The pins are stout and can be installed point up or point down. I prefer point up so that I can use the hex wrench from the opposite side and advance the pin threads out if I bend one. That said, I've given them some really good whacks and the pins are still all straight......
    Hey Folks,

We have generation 1 and 2 of the original Crampons plus the Ultimate installed on 6 bikes being ridden by 3 people. The bikes range from DH to SS. The pedals have all been bomber and delivered on all promises. We've been using them since they first came on the market. The original set is on my DH bike and working perfectly. That said the brothers have made solid improvements in the two iterations since the first design. Therefore my strong recommendation is that you go with the Ultimate:

Thinnest pedal platforms on the market. Never snag your pedal again!

Once you experience thin pedals and FiveTen shoes you'll never look back!

Good luck in your search,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    I snapped my loaded cromo pedals at the threads so I got big boy pedals, the e13 lg1 flats and man are they grippy! I have to lift my feet off the pedals just like I would with my eggbeaters, they are almost as grippy feeling as being clipless
    Did this happen at Alafia? You ride a Giant right?
    I love my Defactos, but I think that my Five Tens are as important as the pedals. The combination of a good pedal and a platform specific shoe makes all the difference IMO. Especially if you enjoy having shins.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Did this happen at Alafia? You ride a Giant right?
    I love my Defactos, but I think that my Five Tens are as important as the pedals. The combination of a good pedal and a platform specific shoe makes all the difference IMO. Especially if you enjoy having shins.

Yep at Alafia and its a red and white giant trance, and you couldnt be more right about good shoes being just as important as a good flat. But either way my shins take a beating.

Chamois Dropper
    ^^ I lent you those crummy plastic flats when you broke your pedal, talked with you the other day at Balm.
    I used to ride with Vans, they grip alright but the soles are way to flexy. I can't believe I ever rode with them now. I rode out to dinner with them the other night and I swear I could feel every pin in the pedal. The stiff sole on the 5 10s really cuts down on foot fatigue, IMO. There is some 5 10s on sale at Bluesky for a super cheap price if they have your size and you can live with the color.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Spitfire Shoe
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been running the Kona Wah-Wahs for over a year, and they are the best I've ever owned. They are not the lightest, but light enough. They have a good size to them to fit my 10.5 foot, and ALL the pins are still straight...and I ride a lot of rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^^ I lent you those crummy plastic flats when you broke your pedal, talked with you the other day at Balm.
    I used to ride with Vans, they grip alright but the soles are way to flexy. I can't believe I ever rode with them now. I rode out to dinner with them the other night and I swear I could feel every pin in the pedal. The stiff sole on the 5 10s really cuts down on foot fatigue, IMO. There is some 5 10s on sale at Bluesky for a super cheap price if they have your size and you can live with the color.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Spitfire Shoe
    Haha it all makes sense now, and those pedals weren't crappy, the ones I broke were!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Pinkbike did a write up on the lg1's and said they have no peer when it comes to grip. I like my point one podiums but traction is nothing special even after being tapped for straitline pins. I like that e13 is using the same material they use on their bash guards too. I'm sure they slid off rocks better than any metal pedal. Only things I dont' like are bushings instead of bearings and weight. Considering how large they are they really aren't that heavy. Spin control is pretty cool too!
    The weight is a bit of a penalty but the superb grip and sheer ruggedness more than makes up for it. The spin control is quite a nice feature and I have run it very loose and very tight and in pedal effort it makes very little difference. I set them so that the pedals wouldn't spin when I took my foot off, it was a bit tricky to get them set at the same tension but was well worth it. I read somewhere that e13 is going to make colored composite pieces for them as well.

mtbr member
    Riding DeFactos and AMPS now...AMPS do have a noticeably smaller platform, but with size 8.5s it's not a big deal. Your 9.5 might be right around where people start not liking the platform size (just guessing).

Deity makes their composite pedal, which I've never tried, but their Decoys are pretty solid pedals for the price. They always get good reviews too.

I do about 1/2 my riding in Moab (that's where you are?) and both Straitlines have held up amazingly well on the rock there. Either would be my first choice...AMPS are good for being light, Defactos are my all-around favorite pedal.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    I use the Straitline Defacto pedals on my DH rig and those pins hold up exceptionally well. They are the non-set screw type.

-Brett
    This, Straitline defactos are killer pedals, pins and pin placement are great, the bushings in them are magic, last for ages, and can be replaced in minutes at home with nothing more than a screw driver.
    I was so happy with my first pair all my bikes now have them, OP look them up on the net, not only are the durable n big platforms they look the bomb..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I read the whole pedal thread earlier this year when deciding on pedals for my new rig. Originally went with the HT AE01, since they were thin, and 'relatively' affordable compared to some others. I liked their feel and grip. They came with aluminum pins and those are easily destroyed by rock strikes/slides. Also, the ones that top load (they use 2 different types of pins) - if enough of the pin gets ground down, you've got no way to remove them. The ones that load from underside, can be backed out if mangled, but you'd have to be careful and possibly lop off the mangled bits with a dremel so you don't jack the threads up during removal - a common thing to do with underside/back loading pins. Also noticed radial play in them very quickly. The DU bushings were wearing down fast. Sent them back for a rebuild and they started wearing down again. At that time I decided just go for gold and grabbed a set of Point one Podiums. The standard steel pins in these have been much, much sturdier - and the full bearing system has also proved much more longer lasting. No radial play yet, and I don't expect any for quite some time. So far so good with these.

human dehumidifier
    Huh. Yeah, I have yet to cut myself on the Ultimate pins. It was an everyday occurrence with my Predators.
    Well at least my estimation that the pointed pins would be easier on the body was right. Grub screws are killers when you just bump into them no matter what pedal they're screwed into.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Well at least my estimation that the pointed pins would be easier on the body was right. Grub screws are killers when you just bump into them no matter what pedal they're screwed into.
    Nice little biopsy samplers, though.

Yeah, most of the cuts from my Predators weren't from slipping a pedal but rather from leaning or bumping into one while stopped and straddling the bike.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Also, the ones that top load (they use 2 different types of pins) - if enough of the pin gets ground down, you've got no way to remove them. The ones that load from underside, can be backed out if mangled, but you'd have to be careful and possibly lop off the mangled bits with a dremel so you don't jack the threads up during removal - a common thing to do with underside/back loading pins.
    The Crampon Ultimates don't have that problem. If you bugger up the top of the pin, you can take them out from the bottom through the top. The bottom hole is just big enough to get an allen wrench in but not big enough for the pin to come out that way. The pins that came with my pedals have socket heads on both ends for that reason.

Picture Unrelated
    I can very strongly recommend the Straitline DeFacto pedals. I have been running them for a few years now and I happen to hit a lot of rocks with them (in Moab and elsewhere) and I haven't broken a pin yet. I have lost a couple, but that was my fault for riding them without locktite.

My wife is riding the Crampons and they are an amazing pedal as well. If you value weight or thinness over all else, they would be a great pedal.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Real happy with my Point 1 Podiums with Steel Pins.

-Shane

Chamois Dropper
    Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if anyone else has had this happen with their Straitlines. ( I have DeFactos ). After about 6 months of riding I noticed some play on the outer bushing, I could feel a sort of clunking when I was riding choppy terrain. I felt the pedals, and there was a slight deflection on the outer ( small) bushing on both sides. No noticeable slop on the inner bushing near the crank. I figured it was time for some new bushings, got a set, cleaned everything absolutely sterile, light grease and reassembled. They still have some play. The pedal shaft looks perfect and unworn. Anyone else notice this?
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebumper View Post
    I read that whole thread. My Saints should be here on Monday, usually can't go wrong with Shimano.
    Take the spacers out from under the heads of the installed pins, install the extra pins that are included, they will now grip 510's very nicely.

No Stranger to danger....
    Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if anyone else has had this happen with their Straitlines. ( I have DeFactos ). After about 6 months of riding I noticed some play on the outer bushing, I could feel a sort of clunking when I was riding choppy terrain. I felt the pedals, and there was a slight deflection on the outer ( small) bushing on both sides. No noticeable slop on the inner bushing near the crank. I figured it was time for some new bushings, got a set, cleaned everything absolutely sterile, light grease and reassembled. They still have some play. The pedal shaft looks perfect and unworn. Anyone else notice this?
    Never seen it mate, but contact straitline, they have great customer service, they should look after you.
    Ive got 3 sets that have been used and abused and never had an issue, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Picture Unrelated
    Would you say that one pedal has more play than the other one does? If so, you may have damaged something. Straitline's customer support is top notch, contact them and they'll give you a better idea of what's happening.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Here's my Point1 Podium after cruzing over a rock when I was riding with one foot off for a dab and didn't get back on in time to lift for the rock. I believe the pins are fine, but I haven't tried to remove them. They supply a few extra pins, so cutting off the end and scrapping it is also an option.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Here's my Point1 Podium after cruzing over a rock when I was riding with one foot off for a dab and didn't get back on in time to lift for the rock. I believe the pins are fine, but I haven't tried to remove them. They supply a few extra pins, so cutting off the end and scrapping it is also an option.

I'm not even sure I can tell which is the 'damaged' pin. Thanks to steel pins. Alu pins would likely have received more mangling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I'm not even sure I can tell which is the 'damaged' pin. Thanks to steel pins. Alu pins would likely have received more mangling.
    Ya alum pins seem to break off if you look at them wrong
    And they are a one use, one shot pin because when you tighten them down they stretch the treads a bit and when you remove and then retighten they break at the stressed threads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast