Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cycologist
    Yes, they work better. They look a little goofy for guys our age to be wearing, at least mine do. But that doesn't stop me from wearing them into Home Depot on my way back from the trails. I'm sure they will last longer if you wear them for biking and something else for everyday wear. You can save some bucks by buying closeouts on their website if that is a concern:

Bike - Closeouts
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I guess the ultimate test of my commitment to practical vs other factors would be getting a pair of the "Line Kings"...

Five Ten | Line King Adventure Shoe - DaRasta

Lol. Think I just failed that test.

Having a nice day!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Yes, they work better. They look a little goofy for guys our age to be wearing, at least mine do. But that doesn't stop me from wearing them into Home Depot on my way back from the trails. I'm sure they will last longer if you wear them for biking and something else for everyday wear. You can save some bucks by buying closeouts on their website if that is a concern:

Bike - Closeouts
    Yeah, I picked some clearance Freerider canvas shoes up after we rode that day at Blankets. Since have picked up a pair of Access Mesh shoes. Hard to say no to $45 shoes!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    5.10's (and most other flats-specific shoes I assume) grip much better than skate, tennis, or bball shoes. My Freeriders grip almost too much; I have to pick up and reposition a lot ratther than twist, because I can't twist them out of position...hell I have way more float on my roadie clipless pedals than my mtb flats
    Last edited by Jc5326; 09-18-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Here, diagonally!
    Same here. I'm considering grinding down the screws on my Chesters because of that. I can't work my foot into a different position. Still, I love my size 14 Freeriders. Mine are mostly black canvas and pretty stealth. Comfy for beers or walking after. I still think clipless is the best option for max performance. However being a clyde, I had to put pedal extenders on my clipless pedals to prevent banging my ankle on the cranks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Same here. I'm considering grinding down the screws on my Chesters because of that. I can't work my foot into a different position. Still, I love my size 14 Freeriders. Mine are mostly black canvas and pretty stealth. Comfy for beers or walking after. I still think clipless is the best option for max performance. However being a clyde, I had to put pedal extenders on my clipless pedals to prevent banging my ankle on the cranks.
    Have the same problem, learned to ride with the toes pointed slightly inward. How does the sizing run on those? Have owned half a dozen Anasazi's and Asym's, but never tried their bike shoes. I wear size 11 1/2 in Reebok, 12+ in most everything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    After trashing my left shin 4 times this year I ordered some Nike Mercurial soccer shin guards. The last time I hit so hard it splattered blood all over my bike, shoes, etc and left a big, unfriendly goose egg. Plan to try the shin guards out as soon as the swelling permits. I get the thing about foot position, but I've ridden with the ball of my foot behind the spindle for more than 50 years so a wholesale change in foot placement just isn't going to happen. Would five ten's stay put better than basketball shoes? I see they make some reasonably priced high tops. Are they any good for walking and every day wear? I hate the idea of having special shoes for riding, it's one of the many reasons I could never warm up to clipless.
    short answer yes, 5 10's would grip better than running, basket ball, and skate shoes (really any dedicated flat MTB shoe would).

long answer: lots of people wear skate shoes when riding flats because of some of the reasons you listed and they work good but they don't offer the same advantages you would get with a dedicated MTB shoe. with a MTB shoes you get stiffer souls (less fatigue on your legs from your feet flexing), foot and toe protection, added grip since they are produced to integrate with flat pedals specifically, and added longevity (when I first started riding I had running shoes and I destroyed them on my pedals after about a season and now with my 5 10's I think I am in my 4th season with them). As for you wanting to wear them every day I would not do that, they are heavy and not really designed to walk long distances at all.

a side not I would say is make sure you have good pedals, like the raceface chesters, or any other flats with replaceable pins. I personally have been running deity pedals (decoy's and now tmac's) and they grip real good.

I also will not say that having a mtb shoe and good flat pedals will not illuminate catching the pedal to the shins or calf (I have many many many scars). but good shoes and pedal combo will make it happen less frequently.

hope that helps and good luck out there.

Here, diagonally!
    Have the same problem, learned to ride with the toes pointed slightly inward. How does the sizing run on those? Have owned half a dozen Anasazi's and Asym's, but never tried their bike shoes. I wear size 11 1/2 in Reebok, 12+ in most everything else.
    I'm a 13 to 13.5 wide. I don't own any size 14 shoes other than my five tens. But they fit perfectly. And I can wear slightly thicker socks than thin MTB socks. In winter it will be nice because my clipless shoes are fairly tight, and that tends to make my feet freeze.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I ride clipless and don't ever recall a shin injury in some 30 years....YMMV

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have both clipless and flats. Have used clipless for 95% of my riding since the mid 1990s. Have never had an issue getting out of them quickly. I do have issues getting back in super fast. I'm happy riding either way and don't find it impacts my riding much whichever type I chose. I think I'm a smidge faster in clipless. I've never raced on flats so haven't really tested that theory I suppose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I guess the ultimate test of my commitment to practical vs other factors would be getting a pair of the "Line Kings"...

Five Ten | Line King Adventure Shoe - DaRasta
    I wonder if a Sharpie would take care of the color of that shoe?
    Lol. Think I just failed that test.
    I wonder if a Sharpie would fix the coloring on that shoe?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary in VA View Post
    I wonder if a Sharpie would fix the coloring on that shoe?
    Why? I'd rock those as they are, mon!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a pair in the cart, just haven't checked out yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    On my Whistler vacations i have just my 510 Freerider And clipless clown shoes. I only use th clips less on rain days. This past trip i used my 510s even in rain. Worked fine walking around town, airplane ride, my 5 hour epic climb to Lord of the Squirrel trail where i swear i walked 20% of it. First thing i do tho is replace the insoles on all my new shoes.

WillWorkForTrail
    So 5:10s are going to give you much better grip than anything that wasn't specifically designed for riding flat pedals. Lets get that out of the way.

Next thing I'd point out is I have 4 pair of shoes. My 5:10's that I put on if I'm leaving the house to ride. My "regular shoes" that are just some tennis shoes that I can wear wherever doing whatever when I leave the house to do something, not necessarily riding a bike. My "dress shoes" which I wear when I leave the house dressed up for..whatever. Doesn't happen much. And my work boots, which I wear when I'm building trail. So, while you CAN wear your 5:10's as every day shoes, I tend to walk a lot, and would probably get less life out of them that way - I typically get about a year out of a pair of vibram soled tennis shoes - and I get about 2-3 years out of my 5:10s. For me, I haven't had much trouble walking in 5.10s when needed.

mtbr member
    I've been working on getting my feet away from the pedals when things go wrong and sensing when I'm in a situation that's likely to cause pedal bite. Still some type of shin protection is a good idea in certain situations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the POC shin guards and even after I stopped smashing my legs, I kept wearing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12