likes bicycles

FiveTen Impact 2 Lows

Just switched back to flats after ~4 years clipless. Picked up a pair of Impact 2s off the internet to accompany the new pedals.

I put the shoes on after a day of skiing, and was feeling pressure on my ankles to the point of being almost painful. Figured it had a lot to do with wearing plastic boots all day. Tried them on today and rode to work, and there is definitely still a touch of pain there.

How much will the ankle structure on these things break in? Did anyone out there have a similar pain that went away? Should I send these things back and try a different shoe?

Thanks guys.

Stand back
    I have the Sam Hill model, not sure how much different they are than the standard I2's, but they did take a while to break in. They're stiff shoes, so that goes along with it, I guess. I love them now, other than they're heavy and a little bulky, which you really notice with on a bike with wide chain / seat stays.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    had many pairs of the impact lows...never had any pain anywhere.
    One thing you may want to try is a different insole. Perhaps they are a little too tight?

I also have the red baron model (?) which has a different, softer sole. My foot hurts after a 2 hour ride. And they wore way too quick.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't surprise me if you still have some soreness from your ski boots and the shoes are rubbing a bit on the sore spots. Give it a few days and try again.

My Impact 2 lows have been comfortable from the start and I tend to have low placed ankles that sometimes rub on taller shoes.

Shoes are a pretty personal thing though. Only you'll know if they're going to work.

Be happy......go riding
    I had the same problem with my new Impact 2s, after my first ride with them. I didn't want to have the same soreness on the next ride, so I stuck 4"- 5+" diameter jars in the holes to stretch them out for several days, and that seemed to help alot. You could use any firm objects in the holes as long as they stretch the holes to the max.