mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Five Ten Sam Hill (Impact) VS. Shimano AM41

Alright, I'm getting back into flat pedals after a 2 season stint on Clipless and I am in desperate need of better shoes. I was spoiled by the stiff sole and obvious traction of the Shimano clipless shoes I had for those 2 seasons. All of the skate style shoes I have tried are hurting my feet and I think it's the much softer sole. I don't have any local stores that stock either of these shoes or really know much of anything about them.

Alright on to my real questions: First off is there any difference between the Five Ten Sam Hill and the Impact other than the styling (I do like the looks of the Sam HIlls better)? The description on the site is pretty vague in that sense.

Second, I have it narrowed down to either of the above or the Shimano AM41 (please don't bother with telling me they're ugly). I know the Shimano have a touch less grip but it sounds like they might have a stiffer sole and I like the idea of the lace covers and less mud sticking to them.

I would love to hear your opinions between them. Thanks in advance.

usually cranky
    pretty sure sam hills are just impacts with special graphics. visually, am41s are a lot slimer than impacts, cant help you on stiffness, havent tried the shimanos. can you wait for the tevas to become available? look to be the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    I heard the Sam Hill ones are supposed to be a bit lighter than the regular Impacts. Whether they are or not, I do not know. I do have the Sam Hill shoes and I absolutely love them.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I really liked the looks of the Tevas but a friend told me that he liked the Impacts better for longer rides so I had mostly ruled them out. I'm not in a hurry to buy them so if anyone wants to chime in in their favor I'm open to that option as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

convert

i to just went back to flat pedals also, i bought the AM41'S, after one ride i feel like they pretty good, didn't hit my ankles like i thought i you'd have and my feet were a little sore but normal , i like the high top shoes that clip less has to offer these have a higher inside that seems to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get the Teva Links shoe, it is the best all around flat pedal shoe I have used. Not heavy, not bulky, sole is perfect stiffness, grippy, wears well, waterproof, super comfortable.
    I have the 5.10 Impacts (the Sam Hills a a few grams lighter) which is a bomb proof shoe, with a stiff grippy sole, but bulky and heavy and not great for long pedaly rides. The Shimano Am41 is a really nice shoe for longer riding. It is light, comfortable, and the sole is grippy and stiff enough. However the sole gets chewed up by the pedal pins pretty quickly, and the show has not been the most durable and or supportive shoe.
    The Teva Links, combines the best of both of these shoes in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's the differences between Hill's and Impacts: Hills are slightly lower cut, no "raptor tongue" different lace eyelets, and a hair lighter, check fiveten.com for weights. Weight savings I believe is in the lower ankle cut? Not enough difference there to really set them apart. Personally I prefer the raptor tongue design of the impacts, and they are cheaper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to try to check out the Links as soon as they're available. There's a couple Teva dealers around my area so hopefully I can check them out in person.