mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Five Ten Hellcat SPD shoe with flats?

I'm going to give flats a try after years of clipless. I know Five Ten Impacts are really popular with flats, but I tried on a pair, and they felt overly puffy to me. Is anyone running the Hellcat SPD with flats?

mtbr member
    Haven't tried the Hellcats. But I remember I had the exact same thought when I tried on the Impacts. But I went with them anyway and you will be suprised how quickly they just feel like normal shoes. Just takes some getting used to and wearing in. I highly recommend them though.
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    the hellcats are heavy as hell - if you are going to be pedaling them they are like lead weights I use them for dh but use them for am I use freeriders

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I'm going to give flats a try after years of clipless. I know Five Ten Impacts are really popular with flats, but I tried on a pair, and they felt overly puffy to me. Is anyone running the Hellcat SPD with flats?

same tought here ... the sole form the frerider is for me just to soft

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Like Yippee said, the impacts will break in. I wouldn't recommend any spd shoe used just for flats even if they have sticky rubber. You'll loose pedal feel because they are too stiff. Even though they have sticky rubber, they are spd shoes, not flat shoes.

Try the freeriders if you don't like the impacts. Make sure you get freeriders with s1 rubber. There are many stealth rubber compounds, s1 stealth is what you want for max grip. FR's are flimsy. Skate shoes with sticky rubber is the best way to describe them. I prefer the extra stiffness and support impacts offer. They do feel bulky when new, but in time they feel perfect.