mtbr member

Five Ten Freeriders stiff enough for AM riding?

So I need some new shoes for AM riding, and have been looking at the Freeriders. I wear Rennies for DH riding, but they are very wide for my foot and are way too heavy for long rides. I've heard that the Freeriders are not as stiff as the Impacts (same sole as the Rennies I believe, and thus probably a similar fit). I need something that is stiff enough for longer days pedaling, but is a little more scaled down than my Rennies. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I own rennies and impact lows, and tried the freeriders. I sold my freeriders because they hurt my feet on longer rides, and I felt a lose of power because of the floppy soles. Impacts are a bit chunky, but I prefer them over the freeriders for general trail riding. They feel light compared to the Rennies which feel like boots to me. I even prefer the impact lows for lift service over the Rennies. Rennies are too chunky for my taste. I guess they are great for heavy riders like Rennie, but my 150 frame finds the impact lows perfect for everything from DH to AM.

The Danny Mac FR pro may feel better than the regular FR? I would love to try them.

mtbr member
    I have ridden in the Freeriders for all day rides, and never felt that they were too soft or had any issues. This is also an old pair of them (maybe 4 years old) that are pretty beat up and soft, so it may just be a matter of preference. I am also pretty light (150 lbs) so I suppose I may just not need as stiff of a shoe for flats. It also probably helps that I am using a nicer insole in the shoe, so this offers more support for my feet than the stock insoles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've ridden both the Freeriders and the Impact low for long rides and I think it has more to do with the pedal you use than anything else. I prefer the stiffness of the Impacts for climbing, but the "feel" of the pedal through the sole of the Freerider is nice. I have a big foot, so I use a rather large pedal (the biggest I could find was a pair of HT's, though I'm lazy and didn't do that much research) and those seem to work. It's all preference though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Without rehashing the never ending debate on here about what is "all mountain," the answer really depends on what type of riding you do. The freerider is definitely softer than the impact, so your feet will get more tired the longer you are pedaling. If your all mountain involves mostly easier low key ascents to technical descents (6-15 miles total), free rider would be great. If your riding longer and your climbs are more "active" you'll appreciate the impact more. Longer still and the benefits of carbon soled spds increase.

Braugh Bro.
    I use Freeriders for basically all of my riding. The rest of my body starts hurting before my feet do. Never tried any other 510s though, so i don't have much of a reference point.

mtbr member
    what buggyr333 said...

mtbr member
    I have 3 pairs of 5.10s: Free Riders, Minaars and Impacts.

After riding the Minaars the FRs felt really soft. I really like the Minaars for long climbs but they are kinda heavy, but honestly on the trail in the middle of a climb the weight of the shoe is not what is slowing me down. The Impacts are great but they are definitely the bulkiest of the three. I have been riding the Impacts now for everything but I might switch back to the Minaars for more AM style days. So to answer your question I would not reach for the FRs for a long AM ride. I can feel the pins from my pedals through the soles, and the soles are still pretty new. I keep them around though because they were cheap and I like to have spares.

BTW I run the Minaars on flats and they are awesome. Great traction even though the sole has a different pattern than most 5.10s. And they are stiff.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    BTW I run the Minaars on flats and they are awesome. Great traction even though the sole has a different pattern than most 5.10s. And they are stiff.
    I was considering these as well. Do you notice the cut out piece with the screws when you are riding flats? The Minaars/Hellcat/Maltese Falcon shoes all look a bit narrower than the Impacts or Freeriders. My Rennies are very wide for my foot, and I am concerned that the Freeriders may be a similar fit.

Thanks for all your responses, I've dug through dozens of old threads before posting this one as they tend to branch off into jibberish. At this point I am very close to buying the Freeriders as I found a good deal on them. It would be $50 more to get the Minaars...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride freeriders on my xc trails all the time... never had an issue with a lack of stiffness. I use them for the same rides where I also use super stiff clipless shoes... if you have a good deal on them go for it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just in case you didn't know this, pay attention to the stealth rubber compound on the freeriders. Unlike the impacts, they all don't use S1 rubber which is the stickiest of all the stealth compounds. Some of the freeriders use a non marking compound that's less sticky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Just in case you didn't know this, pay attention to the stealth rubber compound on the freeriders. Unlike the impacts, they all don't use S1 rubber which is the stickiest of all the stealth compounds. Some of the freeriders use a non marking compound that's less sticky.
    I did not know this, thank you for sharing. Pricepoint shows the White ones and Purple ones having different soles. Are they just a different tread pattern or is one of them S1 and one not? Thanks again folks

Five Ten Freerider Shoes at Price Point

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJameson View Post
    I did not know this, thank you for sharing. Pricepoint shows the White ones and Purple ones having different soles. Are they just a different tread pattern or is one of them S1 and one not? Thanks again folks

Five Ten Freerider Shoes at Price Point
    If you want max traction go with s1 stealth rubber. The other "stealth" compounds are for more casual use, or for guys that want to move their feet more easily. Double check to make sure you get the rubber you want at Fiveten.com

I've seen freeriders advertised with the wrong stealth compound before. Five ten doesn't make it easy having so many stealth compounds and so many freerider options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    http://www.pricepoint.com/images/sty...FR0_PUR2_3.jpg
    http://www.pricepoint.com/images/sty...FR0_WTR1_4.jpg

So to confirm, is the top sole the S1 compound one?

It seems that the compounds isn't specific to certain colour schemes, because on CRC the purple one is shown with the bottom pic's sole while all other colours has one like in the top pic... But if you know which sole is which, and the pictures on the respective stores are correct, you can use those to make sure you get the right sole.

Cheers
    Last edited by svalgis; 05-22-2012 at 02:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJameson View Post
    I was considering these as well. Do you notice the cut out piece with the screws when you are riding flats? The Minaars/Hellcat/Maltese Falcon shoes all look a bit narrower than the Impacts or Freeriders. My Rennies are very wide for my foot, and I am concerned that the Freeriders may be a similar fit.

Thanks for all your responses, I've dug through dozens of old threads before posting this one as they tend to branch off into jibberish. At this point I am very close to buying the Freeriders as I found a good deal on them. It would be $50 more to get the Minaars...
    I actually started off with the Minaars on a pair of CB Mallets. When I switched to flats I did not remove the cleats. With my Canfield Crampons the cleat never touched the pedal or spindle. Check Chain Reaction, I was able to get my Minaars pretty cheap, and just recently they were doing free shipping for orders over $80.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I actually started off with the Minaars on a pair of CB Mallets. When I switched to flats I did not remove the cleats. With my Canfield Crampons the cleat never touched the pedal or spindle. Check Chain Reaction, I was able to get my Minaars pretty cheap, and just recently they were doing free shipping for orders over $80.
    Only negative about the Minaars is they are heavier than the Impacts. I wouldn't want to pedal around in shoes any heavier than Impacts unless I was clipped in. The difference in weight between impact lows and minarrs is about the same as the difference between freeriders and impacts.

I can't imagine the spd platform lending its self to good pedal feel either? I've tired 661 filters with flats and they are far too rigid to offer any pedal feel. IMO, a good flat shoe needs to strike a balance between rigidity, and pedal feel.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the input folks, i ordered a pair last night, albeit in ****ing purple. stoked to test them out this weekend in Downieville.