"Its All Good"

First real ride on the Motolite

Had the first real ride on the Motolite today…………..

Have done all the minor changes that one does on the first few rides. Feel like the RP3 is well dialled. Have the Pike sorted. Still getting used to the Poplock thingy, the travel adjust is handy, not as slick and as quick as ETA on the Zoke.

I am comparing this to my Id, my comments are constructive not criticisms of the Ellsworth Id. Taking into account the Id had an AM1 150mm fork, this slackened the HA on the Id, which was perfect for me, use ETA to climb like a demon, flick the ETA, slacken the HA and smoke downhill. Was great……. So, the HA on the ML is not as slack as the Id with the Pike set at 140mm. Climbing is very balanced on the ML, the steering is precise, but not twitchy. I cannot really say at this point which scooter climbs better, more time will tell. A few points on climbing. If this makes sense, I like the travel path of the ML better than the ID. It feels stiffer, whilst not loosing travel. A good test will be when I ride some very steep rooty tech single track, this is where the Id came into its own. The ML was better to stand up and hammer it. The overall balance on the ML is better for me, thats the weight difference with the Pike compared to the AM1, this was a slight issue on the Id, the front end was slightly heavy, didnt cause any percieved problems, cause I knew no different.

So the ML climbed well, Whafe was another story, was 32 deg C today riding, so I was feeling poked.

When it came to the DH sections of single track, I am speechless and lost for words, this bike is a DEMON DECENDER in tight twister rough single track. First ride really, I had far better times on the trails I know than the Id. That is a high class compliment to this bike. The whole bike is slightly shorter than the Id, but it does not compromise the handling at all. This bike is complient and a dream handler. The bikes I have spent most time decending on are my Ellsworth Dare, huge travel, just plow down anything, VP Free, like the Dare but not as good and my Id. This was more fun hands down. Yeah the Dare and VP Free are great huck machines, but tech single track, the Motolite is a BEAST…. Looking forward to more of this.

The Industry Nine wheels were a dream, rolled real good, have a blue groove stick-e up front and nevagal on the rare, great combo. The I9 rare hub is starting to get a real sing to it now, quite different to the uzzi noise on my CK hubs and the Hadley gattling gun noise, but the I9 is pleasant, it should deepen its voice as it hits puberty so to speak.

Was real happy with the Pike, getting used to the noise of the air as the travel happens on the fork, other wise all good. Have to say the 20mm axle is a fantastic piece of kit.

All in all, one real happy camper. Would be very interesting for me to ride a Ali Motolite to compare it to the ExoGrid frame.

Will follow this up when I get some more ride time and notice more differences
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whafe; 06-25-2006 at 07:26 AM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

searcher

good review!

hey, the beast looks even better on the trails!
    The saddle is still in a funny angle for me though..
    I am happy that you like the Pike , I am thinking to swap the Reba for a RVL. I can not get a Pike , 'cause I would have to change the front hub as well, and am very happy with the XT at the moment.
    Kovi

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    hey, the beast looks even better on the trails!
    The saddle is still in a funny angle for me though..
    I am happy that you like the Pike , I am thinking to swap the Reba for a RVL. I can not get a Pike , 'cause I would have to change the front hub as well, and am very happy with the XT at the moment.
    Cheers, funny you mention the saddle, it got adjusted twice on this ride, have it about sorted now. One of the shots does not allow to see the angle.............. It was not quite de knackering me, but almost............ About right now..... I can never get those things correct when its at home in a bike stand...........Has to be out on the trail...............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

3 "fiddy" for short
    Wow!! That thing looks vrey nice. Good job on picking the build. I went to visit the Titus factory in Tempe in April and was very impressed. They were very standup guys that took the time to walk my wife and I around to see everything that they do. It was a trip to watch their welders work on the bikes like yours. Good company with great service!!

Enjoy

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Wow!! That thing looks vrey nice. Good job on picking the build. I went to visit the Titus factory in Tempe in April and was very impressed. They were very standup guys that took the time to walk my wife and I around to see everything that they do. It was a trip to watch their welders work on the bikes like yours. Good company with great service!!

Enjoy
    Pleasing be350ka that you reinforce that. I spoke to them many times on the phone, they were fantastic to deal with. Mathias is a real genuine good fella, they all were, spent more time talking with Mathias though.............. Yeah that would be a treat to see them welding, its such an art form when you get to that level...............

mtbr member
    Very nice ride, love the Industrynine wheels.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Very nice ride, love the Industrynine wheels.
    Am loving them also, came from CK hubs, Bonty Mustang rims, were real nice, light & fast, but am liking these I9's thus far............. Will be very strong competition for CK I think, not at all knocking his kit, just wanted to try something different............... Will use this wheelset on something else, never sold them...................
    Attached Images Attached Images

the 36 year old grom
    did you notice your bike got props from dave turner.
    Sorry turner, i am going to sin

ride hard take risks
    That is a very sweet looker, love the carbon Exogrid.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    did you notice your bike got props from dave turner.
    Sorry turner, i am going to sin
    Hi ya Demo_Slug. Yep, feel honoured.. .......... It is very cool that DT can still take the time out and venture onto MTBR, very good on his part, has developed him a great following. He is very well liked. Have not actually ever heard anything negative about him.

But all in all, a Turner is not for me. Long topic, wont go there though. They are great bikes and have a most dedicated following...............

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Hi ya Demo_Slug. .........
    your first impression on the ML is the same I had. after my first ride i was astonished with how well it could weave down hill single track, especially out of the saddle. the thing is fast.and rails. Its total insanity on a trails with lots of quick up and downs. all to easy.

did take me some fiddling to find the perfect seat position and stem combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Good for you Whafe!! Interesting comments on the comparisons with the ID. I can only dream about having the opportunity to do the same. Keep posting your input as you log in more riding time. BTW what is the weight of that bling beast????

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    did take me some fiddling to find the perfect seat position and stem combo.
    I hear you on this one, it still is not perfect. Have to say it, had a sore left butt cheek.

So will do a few more adjustments, have moved the seat back on the rails slightly,

But am stoked still re the scooter, was a blast, will get used to the big climbs, for me it is always a little different, because it takes some time for me to get used something different. I have to say, I could climb like a possessed climbing thing on the Id, it was built for that.................. So in time the ML scooter will be the same................. But man alive, decending is