mtbr member
    May 2014

First mountain bike, and one that I can buy online.

Can someone please give me some choices of mountain bikes I can buy online? It can be a FS or hardtail. My max is 3,000. I just want a good all all round bike that I can purchase online. I do have a bike shop near me, but they don't sell any good all mountain bikes. He did say however that he can order any of the Jamies, Trek, or Cannondale bikes. Used or new, I don't care I just want to ride. Also 120 travel or more will be great.

mtbr member
    id get a Heckler R AM 27.5 with the Fox 34 Float fork

Santa Cruz Bicycles Heckler

the Heckler line has been around for like 18 years. its tough, reliable, low maintenance and easy to work on

watch this.. Single Pivot Maintenance | Santa Cruz Bicycles

theres lots of reviews online for it too. just Google it

ps, theyll ship it to your local dealer. see below

"If there are no Authorized SCB dealers in your area (within 30 miles), you have two options:

Go to your favorite local bike shop, and have them order a bike for you. They need to be a retail bicycle shop dealing in new bikes with a storefront and a service department, a re-sale license, and need to be no closer than 30 miles to an existing SC Dealer. Have them call our Sales Office at 831-459-7560 and ask for the inside rep for their area. We can help sort it out from there.
    Order your bike Mail Order through one of our Authorized mail order dealers."

from Frequently Asked Questions | Santa Cruz Bicycles

CS sells them online

Santa Cruz Bicycles Heckler R Am Complete Mountain Bike | Competitive Cyclist
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would agree on the Santa Cruz Heckler it is a fantastic bike and very simple. It is a bike that just works.

It isn't a terrible climber,but isn't great either, it is a bike where you sit and spin uphill rather than stand and mash.

One of the selling points when we got it for my wife was the simplicity of it, the fact you will be able to get bearings for it from Santa Cruz for ever, and that they sell all the tools you need to maintain it.

The bantam would be another good choice it is basically the Hecklers little brother same design and what not just not as slack and less travel.
    Bantam | Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    "it is a bike where you sit and spin uphill rather than stand and mash"

i do that on my hardtail most of the time
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    I would agree on the Santa Cruz Heckler it is a fantastic bike and very simple. It is a bike that just works.

It isn't a terrible climber,but isn't great either, it is a bike where you sit and spin uphill rather than stand and mash.

One of the selling points when we got it for my wife was the simplicity of it, the fact you will be able to get bearings for it from Santa Cruz for ever, and that they sell all the tools you need to maintain it.

The bantam would be another good choice it is basically the Hecklers little brother same design and what not just not as slack and less travel.
    Bantam | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    I like the Bantam as well. I mean, I like it a lot! On of the best bikes I ever had the pleasure to rode. Check it out OP...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks guys, yeah the heckler was definitely my first choice! How about the "Trek Remedy 7 or the Trek fuel ex 7?" You guys know anything about them?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Also the Santa Cruz Chameleon!

mtbr member
    If you don't mind assembling it yourself (not hard at all), you can probably get a Canfield Yelli Screamy for around that price, and you'll have one of the most coveted hardtail bikes on the market. Does pretty much anything from xc to am to dirt jump lines.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a Fuel Ex 7 demo for 1600 over the internet.
    Buy Our Demo Bikes! | Sedona Cool Stuff | OTE Sports

mtbr member
    the Treks are nice, very nice, but id still pick the Heckler. i think its about the best bike overall for the money.

for more money, id get their Bronson or their Nomad
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have ridden the Fuel ex9 29r and I liked it other than the monster truck wheels. The suspension was great, At the time i rode it i liked the rear drcv shock it felt bottomless. It climbed pretty well too. I should add that the fuel and the remedy at the heart of it are still single pivot designs they just have the shock linkage in there and some other design diffrences that do help the efficiency over say the heckler.

But like Peakesshou said the Heckler just works.

I will add I ride the Bronson and love it. I never have to mess with the lockout on the rear shock, i leave it in descend all the time, as it pedals that well.