mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm First Full Suspension Bike. Help. So many choices!

Hello to all,

First off, I have been doing tons of research. I always try to find the answer first before asking. However, this is an opiniated question based on riding preferences.

My question is, what full suspension bike should I get? I am 5ft 11 inch. 185 pounds. Fit. I love all mountain riding but wouldn't mind getting into trail riding.

I will be riding in the Houston Texas area and occasionally Austin Texas as well. So basically roots everywhere, rocky slopes, small climbs and descents. I am looking for a bike that can tackle all, that can handle a couple of 3-4 foot drops as well.

My price range is really not a problem, I'm willing to go up to $3500. The bikes that I am thinking of buying are:

- Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er (brand new 2012 for $1899 at LBS)
    - Santa Cruz Tallboy2 29er
    - Orbea Occam H30 or H50 29er
    - Trek Fuel 5 29er
    - Trek Fuel 7 29er
    - Trek Fuel 8 29er
    - Cannondale Rush 29er
    - Specialized Camber 29er

i am hearing that single pivot bikes are not that great but they are manageable and that PVV bikes are the better choice. Also, carbon is also stiffer and lighter. Which that could be an option as well. I am looking for all input please.

Please don't critique me if this is a dumb question or I stated something wrong, I am hear to learn and to help MTB grow and be respected as a sport and hobby.

Please respond.

Thanks,
    TexanJonBon

mtbr member
    Honestly, you won't know until you are able to ride those bikes. What types of bikes are the people on your local trails riding? What bikes are you able to demo? It looks like those bikes are 120-130mm travel. Ride as many as you can and you will feel the bike that fits best.

Good Luck.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Don't count out the single pivot bikes until you ride one when done right they are a lot if fun.

beater
    I understand the desire to make the perfect decision- you're spending a bunch of money on a bike that you want to keep for years. Since you don't know enough yet for all the little variables to matter much, it's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis. But honestly, you're probably going to like your first full suspension no matter what it is, so my recommendation would just be to start shopping and pick the bike that speaks to you. The most important thing is that YOU like it and want to ride it, not what the forum thinks. And as you ride more, you may find that your likes/dislikes evolve and you have a better idea of what you want when the time comes for your next bike.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I would certainly ride the 2012 Tallboy since it could be a hell of a deal, and it's an excellent bike. However, you won't know if you like it unless you get it on a trail that you're familiar with.

mtbr member
    this would be nice

Remedy 7 27.5 - Trek Bicycle
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    After getting more detail on the bikes, I went and test rode all of them today.

Lets start with the Tallboy for $1800. It is the tallboy 1, which is single pivot suspension. Which is sort of frowned upon as a lower end feature for full suspension. So it was a bummer. The tallboy 2 has the VPP suspension which is the newer higher grade function for tallboys. Also, the handling seemed stuff and I felt I could not take tight turns and such. Felt a little sluggish to be honest. Also the drive train seemed sluggish. Did not have a good "flow" to it. I was extremely bummed out because I want to go the Santa Cruz route and be different than everyone else, but I feel like I was not happy riding it. I do not think its a good idea to buy a bike and not get exactly what I wanted.

I then went over the a different LBS and rode the trek rememdy 8, the trek fuel ex 8 and the specialized camber comp.

The trek remedy felt awesome, however it was only a 27.5 and they only had it in small. But I think it is way to much travel. But man it was a fun ride. I do not think I am going to buy this though.

The trek fuel ex 8 was awesome! It was the 29er and has everything I need for the bike. No real reason for upgrades unless I just want to spend money to do so, just because I can. Lol. This bike was freaking awesome. I believe this is the bike for me.

The specialized camber comp was also a 29er and it was cool. Had Reba forks and I want fox forks. Just being picky. The bike handled great. I do not have 1 complaint. I have a specialized rockhopper right now and I was thinking I should stay in the specialized family. But the Trek Fuel EX 8 has my heart. It's feels the best.

I also heard the Trek Fuel Ex 8 is an awesome bike and will last me a long time. Does anybody disagree with my ride opinion? I am looking for any input and comments about today's test rides. Please light me up with comments if I'm wrong or you agree.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexanJonBon View Post
    Lets start with the Tallboy for $1800. It is the tallboy 1, which is single pivot suspension. Which is sort of frowned upon as a lower end feature for full suspension. So it was a bummer. The tallboy 2 has the VPP suspension which is the newer higher grade function for tallboys. Also, the handling seemed stuff and I felt I could not take tight turns and such. Felt a little sluggish to be honest. Also the drive train seemed sluggish. Did not have a good "flow" to it. I was extremely bummed out because I want to go the Santa Cruz route and be different than everyone else, but I feel like I was not happy riding it. I do not think its a good idea to buy a bike and not get exactly what I wanted.
    No. The original Tallboy has VPP. They revised the linkage slightly for the Tallboy 2. I can't help but wonder if your ride on the 2012 Tallboy was colored by this mis-information and you were let down by it before you even threw a leg over it and gave it a chance.

The original Tallboy was an extremely popular, well-loved bike and the Tallboy 2 is incrementally, slightly better.

mtbr member
    x2. the Tallboy is VPP.

anyway, the Fuel EX is a very solid bike. i you dug it, get it. the SLX and XT stuff is good stuff, esp the brakes. its what i have, minus the brakes. i hate my Avid brakes

just be damn sure about the frame size. if you get the wrong size, it wont matter how nice the bike is
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert