Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249

    First FS All Mountain Bike!

    Hey everyone I'm planning on getting my first FS bike, YEAH! I am looking for a bike that descends well and can take some drops (about 3 to 4 feets) that is light and can climb steep terrain, I want to spend about 2000$ (so I can get it used for less than 1500$)

    I have these three models that I realy like, if you guys can tell me what you think about it and if you have other suggestions feel free!

    -Giant Trance x 1-2-3 <-- realy like this one!
    -Specialized Stumpjumper
    -Specialized Camber

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,467
    The Trance is a fantastic bike. I'd pick it over any of the other bikes you've listed. Super durable, light, and the Maestro suspension destroys Speshy's FSR in terms of the range that it works well on. It climbs better, and descends better, all without the use of pro pedal. It's also less expensive.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    458
    If you're looking for a giant, I would look into the Reign.
    It will descend better and handle drops better. A reign 2 or 3 would fit the bill.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,467
    agreed. I had a Reign for 3 years and it was a VERY capable bike.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    If you're looking for a giant, I would look into the Reign.
    It will descend better and handle drops better. A reign 2 or 3 would fit the bill.
    A reign is way overkill for what he said. It's not that the reign is bad (I used to sell em), it's that the Trance has become that much more capable. Honestly I see 26" wheeled bikes like the reign (not so much the lighter ones) as a "no mans land" in between the newer capable all-mountain bikes with 12mm axles and 34 or larger stanchioned forks and DH bikes. You go to a 29er all-mountain bike and suddenly the reign isn't going to keep up 95% of the time, and the time you're actually riding that terrain where the reign is faster would be better served by a real DH bike anyway.

    A reign, while it has fantastic suspension, would be way too heavy at his pricepoint to do what he wants, not even getting to the point that the newer Trance X models are so capable. Get a Trance X.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    The Trance is a great bike more oriented for trail or cross country. If you are looking for more fun on the downhill side, the Giant Reign would fit the bill while also being a capable climber at a tad under 30lb. The Reign would be more an all mountain ride.

  7. #7
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by jjvance View Post
    The Trance is a great bike more oriented for trail or cross country. If you are looking for more fun on the downhill side, the Giant Reign would fit the bill while also being a capable climber at a tad under 30lb. The Reign would be more an all mountain ride.
    Yeah, to get the "under 30lb reign" is going to take like 5K, which is only slightly out of his price range. He'd be looking more at the 34lb in stock configuration reign most likely, and that combined with a non-adjustable fork and whack geometry for climbing is going to suck for his "light and climb steep terrain" criteria. Seriously, 3-4" drops and you need a reign? The reign has grown up since it was introduced and is probably most of the bike the old faith was, at least with somewhat better geometry. Sure, it's a "do everything" bike, but nothing he said sounded anywhere near where I'd need a reign. I ride an enduro and the reign is a little bit above the enduro in terms of heavy use, strength and travel. It's a fun park-bike type or self-powered shuttle bike, but for all-around riding? Not going to be happy, and darn sure ain't going to be below 30lbs without dropping serious coin on it.

    Little history, giant used to make trances and reigns, with 4 and 6" of travel respectively. Then they came out with a Reign X and Trance X, with 6.7 and 5" of travel for more aggressive riding than their "regular" counterparts, then they came out with the short travel anthem racing bike to take the place of the old regular trance and previous NRS model, then they dropped the "normal" trance and reign models and just made the "X" models and the travel on the Trance is now 5.5" and it's crazy capable. The new 27.5 models are speced with 140-160mm adjustable fox forks. That's 160mm of travel.

    Honestly, he's looking at the right kind of bikes for what he said, 6" travel Stumpjumper, 5.5" giant trance x, etc. I would steer him more towards the giant for the better suspension, and others like santa cruz, intense, and others make nice bikes in that travel range, but not all of them are as affordable. Trek makes some nice ones as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, to get the "under 30lb reign" is going to take like 5K, which is only slightly out of his price range. He'd be looking more at the 34lb in stock configuration reign most likely, and that combined with a non-adjustable fork and whack geometry for climbing is going to suck for his "light and climb steep terrain" criteria. Seriously, 3-4" drops and you need a reign? The reign has grown up since it was introduced and is probably most of the bike the old faith was, at least with somewhat better geometry. Sure, it's a "do everything" bike, but nothing he said sounded anywhere near where I'd need a reign. I ride an enduro and the reign is a little bit above the enduro in terms of heavy use, strength and travel. It's a fun park-bike type or self-powered shuttle bike, but for all-around riding? Not going to be happy, and darn sure ain't going to be below 30lbs without dropping serious coin on it.

    Little history, giant used to make trances and reigns, with 4 and 6" of travel respectively. Then they came out with a Reign X and Trance X, with 6.7 and 5" of travel for more aggressive riding than their "regular" counterparts, then they came out with the short travel anthem racing bike to take the place of the old regular trance and previous NRS model, then they dropped the "normal" trance and reign models and just made the "X" models and the travel on the Trance is now 5.5" and it's crazy capable. The new 27.5 models are speced with 140-160mm adjustable fox forks. That's 160mm of travel.

    Honestly, he's looking at the right kind of bikes for what he said, 6" travel Stumpjumper, 5.5" giant trance x, etc. I would steer him more towards the giant for the better suspension, and others like santa cruz, intense, and others make nice bikes in that travel range, but not all of them are as affordable. Trek makes some nice ones as well.
    Bike magazine lists the reign 2 at $2400, and less than 30lbs, with a dropper post.

  9. #9
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    I'm a fan of the Stumpy and with 5.5" of travel it did 4-5' drops with ease. My son is more of a daredevil than I am and has been very aggressive with it. I've never owned/ridden a trance so I can't comment on those.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Wow guys thanks alot for all the responses! I am realy heading towards the giant now! But I forgot to list the trek fuel, so now it's pretty much fuel or trance?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    470
    I personally would still go for the giants unless you are looking at the trek remedy, which is meant for "all mountain", where as the fuel leans slightly more towards XC. Trek has a slightly higher price point also. For the money, I dont think you can beat Giant.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Allright giant it is! Thanks for all your help!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    Gonna have to change your screen name...
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    Wow guys thanks alot for all the responses! I am realy heading towards the giant now! But I forgot to list the trek fuel, so now it's pretty much fuel or trance?
    The fuel is also a great bike.

    But I have a question for you: are you riding drops now, or are you looking to learn how to do drops with your new FS bike?

    I suspect its the latter, which is why I recommended the reign. It will be a much more patient and forgiving teacher. The other choices can all do some drops, but personally I wouldn't do a 4' drop to flat on a trail bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Gonna have to change your screen name...
    Hahaha right!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    The fuel is also a great bike.

    But I have a question for you: are you riding drops now, or are you looking to learn how to do drops with your new FS bike?

    I suspect its the latter, which is why I recommended the reign. It will be a much more patient and forgiving teacher. The other choices can all do some drops, but personally I wouldn't do a 4' drop to flat on a trail bike.
    I am allready doing some drops about 1-2 feets but there are some trails that has some bigger drops and jumps about 3-4 feets that I need to just avoid so this is why I want a fs bike, the problem with the Reign is that I won't be able to climb... And I need a pretty good climber because de trails where I ride are really steep!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    I am allready doing some drops about 1-2 feets but there are some trails that has some bigger drops and jumps about 3-4 feets that I need to just avoid so this is why I want a fs bike, the problem with the Reign is that I won't be able to climb... And I need a pretty good climber because de trails where I ride are really steep!
    For what it's worth, I climb on a 29lb bike. It climbs really well. My buddy climbs pretty well on his reign too. He usually beats me to the top.

    Pick whatever bike makes you want to ride more, but understand that jumps and drops will be easier on the reign and climbing will be easier on the trance and the stumpy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hardtailrider2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks for your help!

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain bike in north Vietnam ? the best adventure mountain bike
    By bikingvietnam in forum Vacations & Destinations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 02:46 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  4. Continental Mountain King Mountain Bike Tire
    By dciandrew in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
  5. Mountain Bike Trails Closed Friday the 25th at Pinnacle Mountain
    By ArkansasOutside in forum Midsouth - LA, MS, AR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •