mtbr member
    Jul 2011

first cut to bar down from 750 to ?

background:
    2011 Spec Stumpy FSR Elite 26er 'large'
    i'm 5'10" to 5'11" -- type of riding is 'aggressive trail'
    stem is 60mm (original is 90mm)
    current bar is 750mm (original is 680mm)

issue/question:
    i'm starting to feel the 750mm bar is too wide at speed, especially when catching some air. it feels like the bike almost gets away from me when in the air with my arms stretched out too much and front end leaning to one side, making landings sketchy at times.

have ridden 720mm bar with 70mm stem on Trek EX9 17.5" frame and felt good. don't know how much of that was due to smaller frame size versus smaller bar size, but i'm now looking to make my current bike feel better as a result. so .... using that as a proxy, and not knowing where between 720mm and 750mm is best for my set up yet (and i'm not willing to change out my 60mm stem), what length should the first cut to the handlebar be to -- 740mm or is that too little a change? 730mm? etc.

B.Ike
    Do you have lock on grips? I'd move them in untill you found the sweet spot, and then cut.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You should feel more comfortable in the air and at speed on wide bars with in reason. It might just take some getting used to. I went from 720 bars to 785 on my trail bike and at first I was going to cut them to 760 which is what my DH bike has however now I love them. What you are describing in the air sounds like your body position has changed due to the different set up and you are just not used to it yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    Do you have lock on grips? I'd move them in untill you found the sweet spot, and then cut.
    This is good advice. If that's not an option, remember that you can always cut more if you need to. Err on the side of caution if you don't know what length you need. Cut a small amount from each side, reinstall the grips, and see how it feels. I'd probably cut in 5mm increments, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yup, have lock-ons, so that logic just escaped me, my bad. will try that.

regarding body position, not sure, but really not liking how sketchy things are or just plain inconsistent. prefer to just cut to be more comfortable now rather than keep adapting as have been riding quite a bit with the longer bar and still finding issues ... and there's risk in the interim, lol.

the bar is high-strength 7050 premium butted aluminum. has anyone used a regular mini pipe cutter on this kind of bar (my guess is the bar may be too strong for this) or does it require a hacksaw?
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    You also might try a shorter stem. Though sliding the grip in is free to try.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    mini pipe cutter should do fine. Easier than a hacksaw imho.

RIP Friendgirl
    How many rides have you been on since the change to 750 bars? Took me around 10 rides to feel good & thats from 720's.

680 to 750 is a huge jump all @ once.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    You also might try a shorter stem. Though sliding the grip in is free to try.
    THIS!

For your height on a large you should be on 750 bars with a 40-50mm stem. If you're going to one side then you need to loosen up more and keep your arms bent so you can adjust mid-flight. When you first swap to wide bars you may be just getting lazy and not bending your elbows enough creating a dead sailor situation.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - I cut my DH bars down to 750 for trail/AM use and feel it really is perfect for those disciplines as any wider would hinder tree riding and any shorter doesn't help as much with leverage for high speed cornering. Just my personal observation after trying many, many different lengths.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!