mtbr member

first build from scratch: on one 456 evo II

this is my first build from scratch, I had an old iron horse that had seen better days and was a budget bike from the start so I decided to build one instead of buy one. it was a pretty fun process from start to finish, hunting down parts and putting everything together. I took it out for its first ride today and omg what a beast. this bike brought my riding to a whole new level. weight is 31lb, cost was right around 2g. quick run down is evo 456 II frame, rockshox sector 150mm, azonic outlaw wheels, zee shifter and derailleur set up 1x10 with race face crank and narrow wide 30t up front. it climbs great, rides great and feels much lighter than it actually is. it wants to pull the front end on steep climbs which im attributing to the fork and the shifter could be a hair quicker/smoother. tires are heavy but they did everything I asked them to and were very predictable. overall, im super pleased with how everything turned out. sorry for the so so pics, lighting was awful tough today

first build from scratch: on one 456 evo II-evo13.jpgfirst build from scratch: on one 456 evo II-evo8.jpgfirst build from scratch: on one 456 evo II-evo1.jpg

mtbr member
    sweet!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    this is my first build from scratch, I had an old iron horse that had seen better days and was a budget bike from the start so I decided to build one instead of buy one. it was a pretty fun process from start to finish, hunting down parts and putting everything together. I took it out for its first ride today and omg what a beast. this bike brought my riding to a whole new level. weight is 31lb, cost was right around 2g. quick run down is evo 456 II frame, rockshox sector 150mm, azonic outlaw wheels, zee shifter and derailleur set up 1x10 with race face crank and narrow wide 30t up front. it climbs great, rides great and feels much lighter than it actually is. it wants to pull the front end on steep climbs which im attributing to the fork and the shifter could be a hair quicker/smoother. tires are heavy but they did everything I asked them to and were very predictable. overall, im super pleased with how everything turned out. sorry for the so so pics, lighting was awful tough today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evo13.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	898768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evo8.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	898769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evo1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	898770

Such a nice "clean" build. I like how the bike rewards you for committing to the lean into corners.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    Thanks, yeah its a sweet ride. I'm a 26" hardtail guy and this is my first steel frame. Never again aluminum lol

mtbr member
    Right now I got bb7s with 200/180 and they work good just not throw ya over the bars like I was expecting. They are all set up and adjusted properly. I'm using the airotor on there, think maybe a different set of rotors might help add bite? I really don't want hydros if possible

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's nice... I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a raw matte finish frame.

Question about the sizing: Where are you on the sizing guide and what size frame did you choose? Now that you've rode it, are you confident you made the right sizing choice?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" and went with a 16" frame. Running a 50mm Easton haven stem and I am positive I picked the perfect frame size

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    I am 5-10 and went with the 18 inch frame. I am also using a 50 mm Easton stem with 29 inch bars. The bike is a little more stretched than previous bikes I've ridden but that's what I was shooting for.

Sent from my 500T using Tapatalk
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    I don't feel stretched or cramped, it just happened to work out perfect for me on the 16. I love my 456 so much ive already started thinking about builing another one lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    Thanks, yeah its a sweet ride. I'm a 26" hardtail guy and this is my first steel frame. Never again aluminum lol
    hehe welcome to the club! Sweet looking bike BTW

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i dig it, man. Was looking at these frames myself recently, as I want a hardtail to complement my full susser.

mtbr member
    get the on one, good price and rides like a dream. i just rode it again yesterday for the second time and i am in love