Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Fire Eye frames?

Anyone with experience with these? Owners of their urban/dj offerings seem happy from what I can gather, but I haven't found any comments on the AMHT "Flame".

http://www.fireeye-bike.com/product_...od_sn=70&type=

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thinking the same thing.

DIY all the way
    I rode one for a short while a couple of years ago.

They are nice, no frills, classic geometry frames.

They are straight, and sturdy as well.

Currently I have a Shortfuse 360, which I have been very happy with.

Magura

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been wondering about these frame as well. I have been thinking about getting one of these for my son after seeing them on sale at CRC.

DIY all the way
    I just stumbled on this, and thought it might have your interest:

Fire Eye Flame Frame 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

A Flame for like 200$

Don't forget to look for a discount code, if you decide to buy one.
    There are mostly discount codes to be found for Chainreaction Cycles.

Magura

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am interested in the Flame to build up as a single speed but it would be good to hear some input...

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    I'm interested in the Bloodshot, I see forums with the company and frames discussed but they are all from around 2008 and the frames are WAY different now...Bloodshot looks to have a really decent sliding dropout design...69Degree HA....Anyone think it would withstand AM riding? I may pick one up just for the price...

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace350 View Post
    I'm interested in the Bloodshot, I see forums with the company and frames discussed but they are all from around 2008 and the frames are WAY different now...Bloodshot looks to have a really decent sliding dropout design...69Degree HA....Anyone think it would withstand AM riding? I may pick one up just for the price...
    It will withstand FR for that kind of matter.

It's stronger than the ShortFuse 360 I have, and that one has seen its paces.

Magura

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    It will withstand FR for that kind of matter.

It's stronger than the ShortFuse 360 I have, and that one has seen its paces.

Magura
    I am going to buy either the Short Fuse 380 or the Spitfire...I like how the 380 will V-brake 24" wheels and the Spitfire I just realized can be geared...Are there any advantages to the short fuses shorter frame? Ever trail yours? I want to run 24" wheels on the street and 26" on the trail to make a real "do all" bike but I'm not very nice on the trail and the 380 "looks" the toughest.

I am only looking at 2012 frames, also I will be riding a rigid fork.
    All I need is a push in either direction as I'm really on the fence about this.

DIY all the way
    I am going to buy either the Short Fuse 380 or the Spitfire...I like how the 380 will V-brake 24" wheels and the Spitfire I just realized can be geared...Are there any advantages to the short fuses shorter frame? Ever trail yours? I want to run 24" wheels on the street and 26" on the trail to make a real "do all" bike but I'm not very nice on the trail and the 380 "looks" the toughest.

I am only looking at 2012 frames, also I will be riding a rigid fork.
    All I need is a push in either direction as I'm really on the fence about this.
    I use mine just about anywhere, trail, urban, DJ, and so forth.
    The Shortfuse is very agile, some may call it lacking stability.
    To me it has just been positive, and made for a more fun bike to ride.
    24" for trail is not too bad, that's how I have it. DMR Moto tires are fine on the trail. DMR Moto RT are the street tires of choice.

I would choose the ShortFuse in your place. It has been the bike that has brought me the most fun, and has pretty much retired most of my other bikes.

I would though pick one of the 2008 models. Only difference is the gusset design, which worked just fine on the 2008, and the color....and like a few 100$ bills

Magura

EDIT: I run mine with hydraulic rim brakes. For a bike like that, I find discs to be too vulnerable. The hydraulics are plenty powerfull, and are pretty much out of harms way in a crash.

DIY all the way
    Hmm, just checked...

The 2012 has a goofy hydroformed downtube, which I can't for the life of me see a reason for.
    It also no longer supports the BMX BB, and is down to 10mm dropouts.

Major step back if you ask me. Now it's just another DJ/FR frame

Magura

derp
    A friend of mine has one, never saw him complaining and he beat the snot out of it. I would say that their hardtails are pretty good, just stay wary of their FS.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Hmm, just checked...

The 2012 has a goofy hydroformed downtube, which I can't for the life of me see a reason for.
    It also no longer supports the BMX BB, and is down to 10mm dropouts.

Major step back if you ask me. Now it's just another DJ/FR frame

Magura
    Yeah but I'll be using a Shimano Saint crank and QR wheels...You said exactly what I wanted to hear about the short fuse...On the verge of twitchy, makes for a very fun ride especially once you get used to it.

DIY all the way
    Yeah but I'll be using a Shimano Saint crank and QR wheels...You said exactly what I wanted to hear about the short fuse...On the verge of twitchy, makes for a very fun ride especially once you get used to it.
    In that case, it's no big deal to you, I see

If that's how you like your bikes, I strongly suggest you try 24" wheels out on the trails.
    I feel like I ride wagon wheels when on a 26" now. They seem so clumsy and slow in comparison.

Magura

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    In that case, it's no big deal to you, I see

If that's how you like your bikes, I strongly suggest you try 24" wheels out on the trails.
    I feel like I ride wagon wheels when on a 26" now. They seem so clumsy and slow in comparison.

Magura
    Thanks a lot for your help, I just bought the 14" Short-fuse 380 in green...I'll try the 24's on the trails, that's something I have been contemplating for a while anyway.

Too everyone thinking about buying a frame, I used code COLD20 and got $20 off. Frame cost me $184

DIY all the way
    Thanks a lot for your help, I just bought the 14" Short-fuse 380 in green...I'll try the 24's on the trails, that's something I have been contemplating for a while anyway.

Too everyone thinking about buying a frame, I used code COLD20 and got $20 off. Frame cost me $184
    Congrats!

That's gonna bring you a lot of fun.

Post a couple of pics, once it's got some dirt on it.

Magura

Climber
    Nov 2012
    My friend bought one, he said it was pretty light for the price he paid for it. About to replace my old DB response frame on my singlespeed with one

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    I just got mine, the pictures don't do the green justice....It looks awesome in person
    I'll post some pictures in a couple weeks once all the parts arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerbiker41 View Post
    My friend bought one, he said it was pretty light for the price he paid for it. About to replace my old DB response frame on my singlespeed with one

DIY all the way
    I just got mine, the pictures don't do the green justice....It looks awesome in person
    I'll post some pictures in a couple weeks once all the parts arrive...
    You're gonna be even happier when you get to ride it.

Very confidence inspiring.

Enjoy!

Magura

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Bumping this as those Flame frames have caught my eye as well. Has anyone actually seen one in person? Ridden one?

Huh?

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    You're gonna be even happier when you get to ride it.

Very confidence inspiring.

Enjoy!

Magura
    I setup the bike SS with both 26" and 24" wheels...The problem I'm having is the 24" wheels have my crank too low, I run a 170mm crank. Only thing I can think to do is get a longer fork...I run an old trek rigid.

Ever have this issue? I have read about people using rigid 29er forks to fix this.

Side note: This frame is awesome

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Here's a couple picture's while I was building it...
    I know its the fork...Just don't want to admit it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Eye frames?-img_1300.jpg  

Fire Eye frames?-img_1301.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone slide a 650b into that sliding rear end system on the bloodshot? Thinking about putting one together with an old Marz 55 coil fork with travel adjust, 650 wheels, a dropper post, and old 1x9 drivetrain. I'd probably run the fork around 125mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    1/4" of room for a 650b pacenti 2.35 tire with the dropouts all the way forwards!

The bloodshot is my new 650b hardtail project. For ~150 bucks, I think Chain Reaction will sell a lot of these.

FYI, frame weighs 6lbs on the button on my scale. Welding, paint work, and gusseting looks nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Eye frames?-fireeye-bloodshot-650b.jpg  

Fire Eye frames?-clearance-dropout-forward.jpg  

Fire Eye frames?-clearance-close-up.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Still figuring out how to make photos work... Sorry for poor quality blackberry shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Eye frames?-fireeye-bloodshot-650b.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast