mtbr member
    May 2013

Fezzari Timp Peak X1

Talk me into or out of this bike..
    Timp Peak X1 | Fezzari BikesŪ

Lets start, I have a 4k budget (ish) and i'd like to an all-mountain rig. I was looking at getting a Lapierre Zesty 527 but they recently sold out. =( I Could of got that bike for 3k through my shop 2 weeks ago but not anymore. (or wait until 2016 comes out but I'm tired of waiting)

The Timp Peak is right on my budget point so I'm not too worried about that. I talked to some of the people at the shop and they said the bike looked great until they saw the suspension linkage and they said it was mediocre for climbing. Are they being ridiculous or is it true? I tried to find reviews for it but found nothing.

The components on it look fantastic and are way better than what comes with the Lapierre so thats a plus . But then again I have to save up and buy a dropper 'cuz they are sweet

So thats about it.. now re-read the first line =)
    NorCal High-School XC
    2014 Giant XTC Composite 29er
    2012 Scott Scale Team 29er
    2013 Diamondback Podium 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey Graham- I don't have the Timp Peak X1, but I have the Nebo with almost the same component spec. I'm pretty happy with it. And thus far, Fezzari has been easy to work with. A nice, carbon bike with a Pike, X1, Stans Wheels and XT Brakes.

I wouldn't WANT to talk you out of it.

banned
    Apr 2015
    I too was considering this Bike... but then eliminated it due to the lack of input out there.

I though would love to hear more input about Fezzari Bikes if anyone has any.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Here is a rather long-winded write up I did of my Fezzari & the buying experience.

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/my-fezzari-2015-nebo-peak-review-971746.html

banned
    Apr 2015
    great write up! thanks for taking the time to share.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just ordered mine.

Timp Peak X1
    RS Reverb Stealth
    2016 Fox FIT4/Float suspension
    Tubeless
    Cateye

I have a cheap fatbike (Moto Boris X7) and a cheap 29er (Gravity 29point3), so it was time for a good, higher end bike. Did TONS of research, including visting LBSs a few times. Nothing could come close to Fez with the build package (especially the suspension) for the cost. Nearest I found was a Trek Fuel 9.8, but it was $2k more for a similarly outfitted bike.

Guess we'll find out.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok, received the bike, but haven't gotten a chance to ride it much. I can comment on the bike (build, fit/finish, etc) and the customer service to date.

SPECS (options from base X1)
    2016 Fox FIT4/Float X EVOL
    RS Reverb Stealth
    Cateye Micro Wireless
    Tubeless

BIKE SETUP - 8/10
    The bike itself came well packaged in a box, and as others have mentioned, was about 90% ready to go. In fact, my wife surprised me and put it together for me while I was out on a ride on another bike, and she knows NOTHING about bikes. The one obvious problem I had straight away was the front tire was flat. I'd paid to have it setup tubeless. Tried pumping it up, but the leak was profuse. Dismounted the tire and found that somehow, the rim tape was pushed away for a section and was allowing tons of air to leak. I retaped and resealed. Good as new. The rear shock was absolutely DEAD ON for sag settings (just above "plush") from what Fox recommended. However, the fork was about 10mm and 30 PSI off from similar settings (just above "plush") from Fox for the fork. Not sure why. A touch with the fork pump (actually took 30 PSI out) and it was dead on, as well. Handlebars were wide, for my taste, so a quick pass with a tubing cutter took 24mm off each end. Love the lock on grips. Stem was torqued to 5Nm, rather than the 7.4-7.9Nm that Race Face printed on the stem. All other fasteners that I had torque specs for were right on. RS Reverb Stealth height was absolutely spot on at full extension.

FIT & FINISH - 9.5/10
    Just some almost invisible scuffs on the frame. I'm sure my wife did more than that just getting it out of the box. Honestly, the extreme close-up pics on their web site have more tiny nics than my bike.

CUSTOMER SERVICE - 10/10
    I can NOT say enough about Fez's customer service. Upon hearing that I had a problem with the tubeless setup, Jordan immediately offered solutions and guaranteed they'd "make it right". Even while out of the office, Jordan responded promptly and thoroughly and took genuine concern over my (admittedly) rather trivial issues.

RIDE REPORT
    Well, broke it in yesterday on a 14 mile 1300+ vertical foot climb. This thing rocks. I don't have a whole lot to compare it to (Moto Boris X7 and Gravity 29er), but the difference is night day. The carbon frame is, even to my novice ass, significantly stiffer and more communicative. Climbed some steeper burners, trying the suspension in all three modes. The pedal bob is so minimal in OPEN, it's really not worth stopping and changing modes, especially with the Stealth dropper. Rode through some really rocky river beds. Suspension soaks it up. Downhill was significantly faster than either of my two other bikes. It just wants to haul ass downhill. The best part about this bike (besides the awesome suspension) are the brakes (Shimano XT w/ice-tech rotors). My god these things are just not comparable to the Avids on the Gravity or the Shimano M855 I put on the fatty. Took the time to bed them properly, so on a long downhill slower section, they barely got warm and were perfectly controllable and absolutely quiet.

Things I'd like to or will change: I have some Conti Trail King 27.5x2.4 on the Gravity's 650b set. I think I like them better than the Maxxis Ardent 27.5x2.4. They're a little more aggressive and a good bit wider. I prefer the feel that the more squared off shape gives them. Think I'll take another 10 PSI out of the fork. I was using 90% of the travel on the shock, but only about 60% on the fork. Think I'm going to replace the RaceFace Evolve bar with a SixC carbon bar. I prefer the feel of a the carbon bar I have on the fatty.

Overall, I love this thing.

Fezzari Timp Peak X1-20150731_093215.jpg
    Last edited by freebird_78; 08-01-2015 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I've had a timp peak for a year and this bike is amazing. I've been on a shit ton of bikes and this is hands down the best rig I've thrown my legs around. Affordable Sub 26 rig that handles some truly expert downhill lines without hassle. I think it is a little out gunned on super fast chunky but that's 5 inches of travel for ya. Climbing is amazing since it's such a light rig. I agree with the guy above that the tires sucked. Also the hubs aren't the best (mine broke after 6 months) but they (reynolds) warrantied them super fast with great service. So, unless you are thinking bike park bike, this bike will do it all and really well! My buddy bought one and he has been super stoked on it as well. High recommendation from this camp

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Freebird_78

It's been 3/4 of year with your Fezzari. How has your experience been? How's the bike?

I'm happy with my Nebo- just wish the derailleur hanger wasn't made from warm butter. It bends all too easily. Other than that- love my bike!

Life Is Short
    Congrats on the bike. I too have a carbon bike and it jets up hillsides ( rigid 19.8 lbs) but make sure your take out your alloy bikes, meaning switch out rides. Because if you don't
    you will get used to the carbon's weight and will never go back. Plus when you do rotate it to the carbon it will seem even faster.
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    For 4k you could get an almost complete XT 8000 bike from Ibis in there special blend build kit. You could get either there Mojo3, Ripley LS, or HD3. There's plenty of reviews on them here. Just a thought. That's what I'd do

Chris Bling
    I'll probably start up a new thread, but just wanted to throw out my thoughts of new '16 Timp Peak 2.0

I have been on their new Timp Peak 2.0 for a couple weeks now and am extremely impressed. I know that they made some changes from last years Timp Peak like bearings instead of bushings and lowered the BB to 13.5 inches.

Based on the numbers, its not a bike I normally would buy, but I am extremely glad I did. While slightly dated with geo, it simply just works. I don't find myself holding back at all compared to my Riot 29er which really surprised me. With my build, the bike is just over 26 pounds which is pretty incredible seeing how its a 150mm All mountain bike.

Its nice and easy to get airborne and feels stable at speed. Even with the pivot being on the seat stay, I don't notice any break jack. Overall for a killer price, they really hit this one out of the park.

While I probably can't be as reckless on it as I can my Riot, it fulfills my need of a light AM bike that I can comfortably ride on 90% of my local trails.

Here are a couple pics. Loving the black and orange

Fezzari Timp Peak X1-hubsessed-cycle-works-fezzari-timp-peak-nobl-carbon.jpg

Fezzari Timp Peak X1-hubsessed-cycle-works-fezzari-timp-peak-nobl-carbon.jpg

Fezzari Timp Peak X1-hubsessed-cycle-works-fezzari-timp-peak-nobl-carbon-rear-shot.jpg
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Dusty- it looks really great! What wheels are those?

I'm at a year with my '15 Nebo Peak. Really happy with it. Had some initial issues, but worked those out with Fezzari and had to do the work myself. But, with the AC Wide Lightning Wheelset, I'm down to high 28's for the bike, pedals and all. Pretty happy with that - given it's alloy and capable of a good beating!

Tip: get a new derailleur hanger. I just about carry one with me.

I think Fezzari did a lot to bring the costs of MTB down and other companies are doing similar things. Whenever a brand can make bikes more accessible, that's good for the sport.

Happy with my Nebo.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by mhevezi View Post
    Dusty- it looks really great! What wheels are those?

I'm at a year with my '15 Nebo Peak. Really happy with it. Had some initial issues, but worked those out with Fezzari and had to do the work myself. But, with the AC Wide Lightning Wheelset, I'm down to high 28's for the bike, pedals and all. Pretty happy with that - given it's alloy and capable of a good beating!

Tip: get a new derailleur hanger. I just about carry one with me.

I think Fezzari did a lot to bring the costs of MTB down and other companies are doing similar things. Whenever a brand can make bikes more accessible, that's good for the sport.

Happy with my Nebo.
    Thanks man. Wheels are the NOBL TR33 rims laced to their own NOBL hubs. Onyx manufactures them, so they have the same instant engagement and silence as the normal Onyx hubs.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You could just buy the same Taiwanese frame they do & assemble it yourself for less.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by badams118 View Post
    You could just buy the same Taiwanese frame they do & assemble it yourself for less.
    I do believe that is a big misconception about Fezzari. While I do believe there are Taiwanese frames out there for cheaper, they are not the same.

Same goes with knock-off carbon rims. Just because they are manufactured in the same country (or same factory for that matter) does not mean they are the same quality.

The trick is having a US or Canadian based company that has their frames manufactured in Taiwan or China, but backs up their product should there be issues.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Thanks man. Wheels are the NOBL TR33 rims laced to their own NOBL hubs. Onyx manufactures them, so they have the same instant engagement and silence as the normal Onyx hubs.
    Cool, didn't realize NOBL was using Onyx hubs! Very cool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member

Thinking of getting a Timp Peak

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I'll probably start up a new thread, but just wanted to throw out my thoughts of new '16 Timp Peak 2.0

I have been on their new Timp Peak 2.0 for a couple weeks now and am extremely impressed...
    I know this thread's kind of old but how's the Timp doing? There's really not a lot of reviews on the 2.0 and I really would like some more feedback before ordering one. Anyone else have a Timp Peak 2.0? I'd love to hear from you guys.