Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

Favorite short travel AM fork?

What's your favorite short travel AM fork? (90-150mm) as rough guide.
    And why do you like it better than a long travel?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rockshox PIKE is a traditional favorite - not sure what the newest model iteration is though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Rockshox PIKE is a traditional favorite - not sure what the newest model iteration is though.
    Either the Sektor or the Revelation.

mtbr member
    I have a Pike 454 Air, Great fork. I would assume it is much like the Revelation, in terms of performance.

mtbr member
    IIRC, Sektor is the pike replacement, on the coil/solo air side. Same weight, internals, etc.

The Revelation has gone from their 120mm trail fork (when the Pike was introduced as a long travel AM fork) to being their light weight "trail" fork - now up to 150mm, and available with the Maxle. And I think they only do air versions of this, most coming in well under 4lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dropped Lyrik 150mm Solo Air with Mission Control DH cartridge. Light and stiff.

Last edited by edispilf; 08-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    don't get the "why do you like it more than a long travel?" what? you mean as opposed to the next step of 10mm to 160 or do you mean 180mm big bike mode? with no real compromise to geo then I wouldn't. Getting less travel on an "am" trail that can stack me into a pile doesn't make sense to me.

but the right answer is on edisplif's rig!
    although the X-Fusion Vengeances "stepped down" would be right up there for me.
    always face the herd

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    White Brothers LOOP TCR 150. Feels like a downsized DH fork - highly tunable, rides high in it's travel (but maintains supple feel), super stiff chassis, and has the best axle system on the market. I'm totally biased (I work for WB), but I honestly feel it's been quite the privilege to have been on this fork for a year now!

NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

usually cranky
    imo the 140 argyl rct repaced the pike. the rev couldnt have because it was already in the line up and the sektor is basically a budget rev.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I'm getting stoked up to buy a Revelation XX in a couple weeks. All my friends who have had Fox 32's with any more than 100mm of travel always complain that their 4-years-older Reba or Pike feels way better.

mtbr member
    The 140 Argyle RCT
    Solo Air
    Motion Control
    32mm stanchions
    Alu steer
    External Rebound
    Low Speed Compression
    Tooled Floodgate
    Spring Via Air Pressure

The Sektor RL in 130, 140, or 150
    Solo Air
    Motion Control
    32mm stanchions
    Alu steer
    External Rebound
    Low Speed Compression
    External Floodgate and Lockout
    Spring via Air Pressure

Its the same fork, except the Sektor has all the different versions like the Pike (coil, uturn coil, solo air, dual air, uturn air, etc), where the Argyle is only available in 1 configuration.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honestly, from what I've heard about the Revelation, I'd load up one of those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    imo the 140 argyl rct repaced the pike. the rev couldnt have because it was already in the line up and the sektor is basically a budget rev.
    The top end Sektors are a more or less direct replacement to the old Pike. Same damper, coil and air available, broadly similar pricing but new uppers and lowers with post mount.

PS: a 20mm Reba 100/120, strong as you like and won't suck up your momentum. Now pair it with a Blur 4x and away we go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    White Brothers LOOP TCR 150. Feels like a downsized DH fork
    Is that a Five I see in your photo there?
    If yes how do you get on with him?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Is that a Five I see in your photo there?
    If yes how do you get on with him?
    It's tremendous. The geometry is wonderful, the quality is superb, and I never see any others on the trail. Strong like bull too.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    I never see any others on the trail.
    That's 'cos hardly any make it out the UK, there's a three month waiting list and mine's somewhere near the bottom, booo

Glad you're liking it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    White Brothers LOOP TCR 150. Feels like a downsized DH fork - highly tunable, rides high in it's travel (but maintains supple feel), super stiff chassis, and has the best axle system on the market. I'm totally biased (I work for WB), but I honestly feel it's been quite the privilege to have been on this fork for a year now!

Rainmaker? ^^^^^

I currently have a pike coil and its been a great fork. I'm sure the revelations and sektors are sweet as well.

Ow!
    I guess my favorite "short-travel AM" fork is the Pike U-turn. Been using one since they first came out. Very adjustable and can set the travel at anything between 95-140mm.

But then I just put my Lyrik U-turn on my "big" hardtail. That is super nice with big stanchions and adjustable from 115-160mm. I have it set at 130mm. And it may not weigh much more than the Pike.

Obviously, I am a big fan of Rockshox coil u-turns because they can be used for lots of different riding styles, and are very adjustable to set appropriately for the ride and the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a sektor solo air. Did a lot of research and the result was : Fox, nice but way overpriced, revelation, killer fork but sektor offers 95 percent of the performance for a lot less. Been running my sektor for about 3 months now and best for I've ever had. Can't beat that for for the money

Team Chilidog!
    A Fox 36 Float lowered to 150mm for me
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    The top end Sektors are a more or less direct replacement to the old Pike. Same damper, coil and air available, broadly similar pricing but new uppers and lowers with post mount.

PS: a 20mm Reba 100/120, strong as you like and won't suck up your momentum. Now pair it with a Blur 4x and away we go!
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a wiener!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    RS Revelation is an AMAZING fork. I bought one for my AM hardtail and liked it so much, I replaced the Fox 36 Float on my dually rig with another one. Plushes, more tunable, light, simple - brilliant fork.

mtbr member
    What exactly does the Motion Control add? I have the proprietary Pike for the Specialized Pitch (the 327 iirc) which lacks it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    What exactly does the Motion Control add? I have the proprietary Pike for the Specialized Pitch (the 327 iirc) which lacks it.
    It's their lockout/ blowoff / adjustable floodgate system. I believe you can add it to the fork you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I can't see to find many reviews on this fork? Any magazine review or comparative testing done?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast