Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Favorite Flat Pedals/Shoes?

I've been mountain biking for a few years now and have been using spd pedals without issues.

After taking a mtb course from Betterride, I've decided I want to give flats a try. Working on track stands, balancing the bike, wheelies, cleaning large rocks and roots and attempting to balance on them, etc. will be a whole lot easier to learn/practice on flats. Once I gain some skills and confidence, I may transition back. I still plan to use my clipless pedals for most of my rides.

I'm surprised how many experienced riders have used clipless pedals and have transitioned to using only flats now for various reasons.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I'll have these on my Ibis Ripley which I ride most of the time (combination of I guess what you'd call XC/AM riding in Western NC). Looking for something nice/strong/light and comfortable/durable shoes. Currently using Specialized Ryme shoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Search Fu suggested Canfield Mags were a nice option so I ordered a set of these and some FiveTen shoes as well. Hopefully I won't tear up my shins too much in the learning process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Canfield pedals are very good choice (not sure about magnesium though) - they are extremely low profile and you will be less likely to clip rocks or roll pedal.
    I wear size 13 shoes and Crampons Ultimates are on smaller side - my feet hang from the sides of them too much. I've been looking for better (bigger but low profile) pedals for a while and failed until recently when I tried Chromag Scarabs. They are much bigger than Crampons but nearly as low profile (not quite but good enough). I like them. If you have regular feet, not flippers like me Crampons would be good. Don't put too long pins in them - it kinda goes against idea of _flat_ pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Sergio! Hmmmm.....I'm sporting the same size flippers so the Canfield's may be a bit small for me too. If they are, I'll take a look at the Chromag Scarabs. I guess it may depend on how wide my 13D FiveTens are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had VP and Specialized pedals and happy with both, but what made the difference for me was switching to Five Ten shoes. Currently I'm using the Freerider, but they have other nice ones as well. This made a huge difference when compared to regular tennis shoes or others like Teva that I used to have. Good luck with your search. There are a lot of options on pedals.

Zombie Uprising
    DMR Vaults (of all types) + Five Ten Impact2 Hi = the best combo for grip, stability and performance

EMBA Member
    Here's the combo I use

Favorite Flat Pedals/Shoes?-straitline_amp_pedal8.jpg

Name:  Five_Ten_Freerider.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  62.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I tired many different pedals, my top two favorites are the Spank Spikes and Race Face Atlas. The Atlas is a little more money but they are lighter, strong, concave, low profile and have excellent grip. They also hold up well to rock strikes.

I went from the regular Five Ten Freerider to the Freerider XVI and it was a noticeable upgrade. Lighter and less bulk, excellent grip, stiffer so less foot fatigue on downhill runs, and easier to adjust foot position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I use Shimano saints pd-mx80s with five ten freerider xvis. Rarely lose grip and can take my foot off when I need to. The five tens aren't as sticky as I expected them to be though, based on other reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Spank spikes, dmr vault and 510 freeriders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

510's and Canfield or Saints. Like the low profile of Canfields. Running Saints right now because I was given a pair.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Saints are great. Just put a set of Spank Spikes on one of the
    wives bikes and see really likes them also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I run Canfield Crampon Mags and Freerider VXis. The Crampon Mags are the pinnacle of flat pedal weight weenie excellence, despite lacking a Ti axle. The light weight and stiff sole of the VXis will give you an efficient feeling that might ease the transition from clipless.

They get gouged a bit on rocks, but I've broken a couple pins without destroying the threading on the body. Worth the upgrade over the Ultimates if you're into saving weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've been running the scarabs for a while and have no complaints. Thin and wide. Also using 5.10 freeriders (size 12).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I changed back to flats after over 10 years on clipless, I tried Saints first and hated them. They leep wanting to roll under my foot. Took them off and gave them to a friend. Got a deal on some Canfields- love them, wouldn't go back to a taller pedal.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sombrio Shazam shoes & Straitline DeFacto's. I've been on the pedals for 5 years & the Sombrio's for 2 years (the first version they produced). Excellent grip on for both. The shoes have held up well with very little wear from the pins.

I've also worn Vans Gravel shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    DMR Vaults and new 5.10 Impacts = heaven.
    Riding flats is just so much fun!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Been riding freerider XVi and crampon ultimates for a whole with no complaints.

perpetual pucker factor
    I've had my Crampon Ultimates for a year and a half now. Still working perfectly. I wear wide-ish size 12 shoes (so not too far from you 13s), and they don't feel too narrow to me at all. Best pedals I've ever had. I once clipped a rock so hard while descending that I sprained an ankle. I was sure that I had sheared a few pins, but they were only a tad scuffed. Not one broken. Amazingly good pedals. Get them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Airborne Flight Crew
    510s and Deity Compounds. Cheap pedal. Fairly durable, and even pretty cheap to repair if needed.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Blackspire Big Slim II and 5.10 XVs (or whatever) work for me.

I rode clipless for 6 years or so, went back to flats, and haven't missed clipless at all for the last 7 yrs.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Beat up early gen Deity Skyscrapers and MacAskill Five-tens, I'm good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    510s and Deity Compounds. Cheap pedal. Fairly durable, and even pretty cheap to repair if needed.
    this is my set up as well. Amazingly good, and inexpensive to boot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I put on the Canfield Mags and Macskill Five-tens and had my ride cut short by a punctured tire. I'll try to get out again today or tomorrow. I never did have the chance to specifically practice some of the skills I wanted to with the flats, but so far it has been an easy transition. I did find a very interesting and well constructed article about riding flats!

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/th...h-flat-pedals/

mtbr member
    dmr vaults. have deitys as well. both velcroed to fivetens. tld 5450s to help sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast