Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

favorite discontinued AM bikes?

19K views 85 replies 75 participants last post by  PrincipalRider 
#1 ·
As i comb through classifieds keeping an eye out for a solid used AM bike, I am keeping a spreadsheet of different bike models and year, specs, sizes, so i can have a running reference sheet for major differences in some of the bikes i find.

Im doing a lot of the research and comparison with manufacturer websites, but plenty of bikes get discontinued or replaced with something nearly identicle. For example, the specialized pitch.

What are some of your favs that arent in the companies lineup anymore?

#6 ·
I actually don't have tons of experience with a wide variety of AM bikes, but from personal experience and by word of mouth, I know that nearly everyone who ever rode an enduro (of any year) has found it quite solid. Pre-2005 the design was very different, but still capable for its time. The 2005-2007s are the ones I had lots of experience with. And the variations since 2007 have gotten lots of positive reviews.

Depending on the components, that frame can be anything from a slightly overweight XC bike to a light FR bike. (although if you are a competitive racer or weight weenie, you will consider it more than slightly overweight regardless of the build)

#8 ·
+1 on the pitch, I am so hard on my bike and yet it keeps asking for more, from the gnarliest rock gardens, to the tames xc trail then up to the resorts with massive jumps this bike can do it all. Not the lightest, but it's not a total pig either. Mine is 31 lbs with some beefed up parts, ( 720 mm bars, DH stem, 2.4 tires).
I bought mine nearly new for just under 1 grand...

#23 ·
IronHorse 6point. 83mm bottom bracket, 150mm rear end, DW Link suspension and the ability to be built up light, but stiff and strong.

I still have my '08 6point8 which has outlasted my '09 Fuel, '09 Trance X, '10 Reign, '12 Blur TRC, '10 Enduro, '12 Stumpy Evo. I did modify the frame by milling it to 30.9 to take a Reverb, short-shocked it, gave it some different paint and rode the hell out of it.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Yeah, loads of pics because it's a stellar ride.
I sold the fork off my '13 Mach5.7c and haven't recieved the replacement yet so I rode the 6point yesterday and while it doesn't have the 'racey sprint' feel of the Mach5.7c I can't help but grin every time I ride the 6point whether I'm climbing or descending.

#26 ·
Balfa 2step is one of the great bike that were so ahead of their time..
I found one lately that i've built for my step bros. It handle just as good has my Canfield bros one first gen, wich is another that should have stayed that way instead of becoming what it is now.

#42 ·
Still riding it today, I love it!
I got an XLT 1.0 that I converted to a singlespeed with a YESS tensioner. It's my go-to bike for all coastal canyon/mesa trail rides in So Cal.

And for another nominee, my 04 Ellsworth Joker, which weighs just under 29 lb.s in a L frame and has 7" of rear wheel travel. I only ride it when I have a long climb in the ride.

#32 ·
Discontinued Bikes

I own 2 discontinued bikes - Cannondale Prophet and Titus Motolite. Motolite still going strong. Prophet was retired to a place of prominance on my garage wall as industrial art.

Attachments

#50 ·
I own 2 discontinued bikes - Cannondale Prophet and Titus Motolite. Motolite still going strong. Prophet was retired to a place of prominance on my garage wall as industrial art.
DirtVet,

Hey....we have re-introduced the Hammerhead Bike Brand....our first model is essentially a 29er Version of the old Titus MotoLite. I used to work for Titus back in the day and always loved that bike!

Check it here if you have interest Austin's Dirty Little Secret - Hammerhead Bicycles

Thanks, Scott

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.