Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

favorite discontinued AM bikes?

19K views 85 replies 75 participants last post by  PrincipalRider 
#1 ·
As i comb through classifieds keeping an eye out for a solid used AM bike, I am keeping a spreadsheet of different bike models and year, specs, sizes, so i can have a running reference sheet for major differences in some of the bikes i find.

Im doing a lot of the research and comparison with manufacturer websites, but plenty of bikes get discontinued or replaced with something nearly identicle. For example, the specialized pitch.

What are some of your favs that arent in the companies lineup anymore?

#35 ·
Not many truly old bikes listed here!

How about the first truly effective FS design, the Cannondale Super-V? '96 Vintage single-pivot design that wasn't very different from what they were using a decade later.

A little drilling, cutting, mix-and-match later and I've got a 30lb bike with 6" travel at both ends. Since that photo was taken I've added SLX cranks and gotten the fork rebuilt. The shock is getting PUSHed when my income tax return arrives, and then the bike is "done"!

I need to take a picture from the drive-side to show off the 1x9 setup.

#36 ·
2007 Kona Coiler Deluxe. Now many companies come out with its geometry as something radically new and improved. 65.7 head angle with 160mm fork, 6" travel. DHX 4 coil shock. 13.7" BB. 23.2" top tube on medium. Perfectly sorted out.

I still have it, with parts from other bikes upgrades to to keep as a spare - but did not ride it in a more then a year, with my other stable taking the riding time. Prolly should sell it.

#47 ·
The Yeti ASR-7! I have had several all mountain bikes including a carbon Nomad and this bike is by far the best I have ever owned! I am so glad I never sold the frame while trying others! It was voted by BIKE magazine as the "most fun to ride AM bike" and that was over The Nomad and Enduro! Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

#62 ·
Don't think I ever saw an official death notice or reason from Canfield, but my understanding is that The One has been "replaced" by the new Balance coming out this year.

I use quotes for "replaced", as those are my words, since from what I've read the Balance will serve a different niche than The One. I have a feeling that the new Balance will be closer to what many people think of as an All-Mountain bike, whereas, I think The One leans a little more toward downhill on the spectrum than your average AM bike.

I bought one of the last The Ones last fall. Sometimes I find myself walking out to the garage just to stare at my The One! Love that bike, but I don't think I'd cry over having to "settle" for a Balance though.

#60 ·
Oh man... cool thread idea. Lots of bikes I've owned (Bullit), currently own (The One) and still considering to buy (Butcher/Nickel) - shows I'm behind the times.

People are adding good other old wants too... El Guapo for example.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the venerable Maverick bikes. They really were far ahead of the AM mindset. I still love my DUC32s w/ 2 in my fleet....

#61 ·
It's a real shame they discontinued a lot of these frames. I really like my old Joker, which btw is an '05 frame, although I don't believe there's any significant difference between the 04 and the 05 models. I works extremely well with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way Air shock. Pedals great, and 7" of rear wheel travel. I set it with 1" of sag on the travel, and it's buttery smooth on the trail, and it climbs very well. No levers to flip, or nothin'.

Single pivots might be out-dated, but they can work extremely well of they're designed and set up right.

#63 ·
I'm not a big fan of specialized but my friend has the Pitch which was a pretty capable bike. It seems many others agree. The giant reign, I doubt the trance X "replaced" it. I hope they keep the reign x and give it some carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.