Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

fat, wide, enormus, grippy, chunky front tires

I love huge front tires. I ride a 2011 specialized enduro and I'm looking for a high volume tire that grips like crazy in high speed corners, levels mountains and speeds up global warming to manufacture from all the rubber it needs. I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern. I don't care if I'll suffer going up hill or on flats, I only ride up to go down. I've used the ardent 2.4, kenda nevegal stick-e 2.35, specialized clutch control 2.3, specialized eskar(hated it), kendra bluegroove, maxxis minion 2.5, maxxis highroller 2.35(HATED IT) and WTB weirwolf 2.55. Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me but there has to be a tire out there that's even better. My fork accepts tires up to 2.7 and I refuse to purchase continental tires after how the mountain king performed as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Try the Hans Dampf in Trailstar compound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Two questions:

How did the Nevegal and Blue Groove compare to each other?

How was the rolling resistance of the Nevegal--was it noticeably worse than other tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    Two questions:

How did the Nevegal and Blue Groove compare to each other?

How was the rolling resistance of the Nevegal--was it noticeably worse than other tires?
    Blue groove was really similar to the nevegal but didn't roll as well. The nevegal is about on par with other tires in this category. It's not a tire I'd run as a rear tire though for general AM riding, I prefer a faster tire in the rear.

74 & 29 pilot
    You missed the best Specialized tire that exist. Purgatory Grid 2.4...Get it before they are all gone!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

bike rider
    You weren't happy with a Minion DHF 2.5" EXO? I think it's the perfect front tire for your description and is my go-to front tire when my AM bike will be ridden on gnarly trails. Granted the DHF 2.7" DH casing grips even better and can be run at lower pressure (I use one on my DH bike) but it seems too heavy for AM.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've ridden some of the tires that you list. Nothing has come close to the new Conti Trail King 2.4 that I just put on. It is nothing like the old MK as far as sidewlls and grips like a mofo. I just put it on because we have leaves dropping and the Purg 2.2 just were not cutting it. This is my new favorite tire.

I have not ridden the Hans Damnit are they expensive. Not willing to drop $90 on a bike tire, don't care how the fanboys justify it. The TK is freaking awesome though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    +1 for Minion 2.7. I run a 2.7 DHF in Maxxpro in the front on my dh bike w/ Kenda DH tube. I run 28ish psi in the front and never flatted and they grip like a SOB...I am 240ish lbs. Granted its going to be a bit heavy but if your looking for good hook up then this may be it.

Addicted
    May 2006
    +1 for the Trail Kings. Get the 2.4 in a Black Chilli compound and they hook up and last forever. Bear in mind the 2.4 TK is larger both in height and width than a 2.5 Minion DHF.
    I run the DHF on my DH bike and prefer the traction of the TK.

I'm with stupid
    Big ass tire (check)
    Sticky compound (Check)
    Works in everything (check)
    Corners like its on rails ( check)
    Makes your friends say "damn that a beefy tire (check)
    it can only spell one thing Muddy Mary in 2.5 Vertstar compound!!!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I've ridden some of the tires that you list. Nothing has come close to the new Conti Trail King 2.4 that I just put on. It is nothing like the old MK as far as sidewlls and grips like a mofo. I just put it on because we have leaves dropping and the Purg 2.2 just were not cutting it. This is my new favorite tire.

I have not ridden the Hans Damnit are they expensive. Not willing to drop $90 on a bike tire, don't care how the fanboys justify it. The TK is freaking awesome though.
    You can get two of them for that price from Germany.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    ...(HATED IT)...
    Men on Film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat, wide, enormus, grippy, chunky front tires-tumblr_m3smf1b4fz1ql4pwmo1_1280.jpg  

THAT guy
    You said you have used the clutch control. Maybe give the clutch SX or DH a try. I use 2.3 clutch sx on my enduro, and really never feel like i need to try a different tire.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    kenda telonix 2.6" is a monster if you dont mind the weight. How wide are your rims? To truly take advantage of the larger tires, nice wide rims are a good idea, inner bead width of at least 25 mm. My DH rims are Halo Combats with a 29 mm inner width, and on them I run the Telonix, or Minion 2.7", or Spec Butcher 2.5; my 3 fav front tires, listed in order of decending grippiness and weight. i run the Telonix only when im shuttling and one of the other two when im pedaling it around.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert View Post
    The 2.4 TK is larger both in height and width than a 2.5 Minion DHF.
    Interesting since the 2.4" Mountain King II is slightly smaller in width and height than a 2.5" DHF. Incidently the DHF measured exactly the same as the 2.4" Ardent I run in the rear. I use the Mountain Kings with the Protection casing when my AM bike is being used in a more XC role. They have sufficient grip and resistence to damage to be appropriate on this type of bike while being much lighter and faster than the Maxxis pair.
    Keep the Country country.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Interesting since the 2.4" Mountain King II is slightly smaller in width and height than a 2.5" DHF. Incidently the DHF measured exactly the same as the 2.4" Ardent I run in the rear. I use the Mountain Kings with the Protection casing when my AM bike is being used in a more XC role. They have sufficient grip and resistence to damage to be appropriate on this type of bike while being much lighter and faster than the Maxxis pair.
    That seems about right. Mountain Kings are smaller than Trail Kings in their given size. In addition Mountain Kings seem to have always run a bit smaller than comparable tires. Look at a 2.2 Mountain King 29er. That barely compares with most 2.0's.

Keep on Rockin...
    Anything more than the heavy Neve-gal might be overkill for the Enduro.

For its price, grip, durability, and ability to run tubeless, I find it hard to beat as a front tire.

I hear great things about the Hans, but for probably twice the price of the Nevegal, is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you running tubeless? Most noticeable increase in traction you can do to your bike IMO.

Long time minion fan here, currently rocking a 2.3 butcher SX up front. Liking it so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Anything more than the heavy Neve-gal might be overkill for the Enduro.

For its price, grip, durability, and ability to run tubeless, I find it hard to beat as a front tire.

I hear great things about the Hans, but for probably twice the price of the Nevegal, is it worth it?
    I don't have a ton of time on the Nevegal, but my sense is that the Hans Dampf rolls much better, and I have found it to be very durable. The nobs held up surprisingly well for how sticky the Trailstar compound is. It's the most confident front tire I've used, and it roll pretty well considering.

Edit: Also should add that the Schwalbe tires I've used have been incredibly easy to set up tubeless. The HDs I had on held air indefinitely with no sealant and aired up with a floor pump on Chinese carbon rims.

mtbr member
    If you mean really big, like you say and really don't care about weight then I say:

2.7 Minion DHF Sticky DH
    2.5 Muddy Mary
    2.5 Butcher DH

If you're talking "AM" big and you don't really want a 1400 gram tire then:

Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar (big tire, bigger than DHF 2.5)
    Conti Trail King 2.4 Big volume, good grip especially in SoCal duff and loose over hardpack and last a long time
    Specialized Butcher 2.3 or 2.5 SX

I think these all weigh between 800 and 1000 grams.

I really like the 2.55 Weirwolf LT you've already tried. Rolls pretty fast. Not too heavy, huge volume, and with it set up tubeless you can run low pressures and it sticks really well in corners, as long as it it's not too loose. Given how low the tread is I'm still amazed at how well it handles some pretty loose conditions though.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-29-2012 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2011 specialized enduro I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern.Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me
    Muddy Mary trailstar, great front tire

I find the Clutch to be my worst front if there's sand anywhere, side knobs too close, floats way too much..

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Muddy Mary trailstar, great front tire

I find the Clutch to be my worst front if there's sand anywhere, side knobs too close, floats way too much..
    I have the Muddy Mary in vertstar....seems very grippy...but is quite draggy.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have the Hans Dampfs front and rear here in Socal and I can honestly say they are complete crap. I don't know why people love them, thankfully I purchased them on sale. Looking forward to going back to minion/high roller combo...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I love huge front tires. I ride a 2011 specialized enduro and I'm looking for a high volume tire that grips like crazy in high speed corners, levels mountains and speeds up global warming to manufacture from all the rubber it needs. I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern. I don't care if I'll suffer going up hill or on flats, I only ride up to go down. I've used the ardent 2.4, kenda nevegal stick-e 2.35, specialized clutch control 2.3, specialized eskar(hated it), kendra bluegroove, maxxis minion 2.5, maxxis highroller 2.35(HATED IT) and WTB weirwolf 2.55. Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me but there has to be a tire out there that's even better. My fork accepts tires up to 2.7 and I refuse to purchase continental tires after how the mountain king performed as a rear tire.
    Intense Edge 2.5 either 1ply All-Mountain or 2 ply FreeRide. They are huge for 2.5 tires with wide profile, roll and grip great at low PSI.

Free Ride

Ow!
    Maybe check Panaracer Fire FR 2.4. It is my favorite "big" tube-type tire (still after many years). Very big (I think bigger than 2.4) and big knobs (like the Fire XC, but way bigger). I think the folding version is under 1000g. Slow, but grabs the corners well for me.

Only problem I see with it is that the sidewalls seem kinda thin for such a big tire, but I never had any problems with it when I rode it out in the very rocky desert (scraped rocks on the side many times). I still keep a set in case I make it to the mountains in the summer to ride (use tubeless tires with sealant in the desert). I seem to remember I was able to set it up with a Stan's kit on a Mavic EX721, but it was difficult (because of the 721, not the tire).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast