Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970

    fat, wide, enormus, grippy, chunky front tires

    I love huge front tires. I ride a 2011 specialized enduro and I'm looking for a high volume tire that grips like crazy in high speed corners, levels mountains and speeds up global warming to manufacture from all the rubber it needs. I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern. I don't care if I'll suffer going up hill or on flats, I only ride up to go down. I've used the ardent 2.4, kenda nevegal stick-e 2.35, specialized clutch control 2.3, specialized eskar(hated it), kendra bluegroove, maxxis minion 2.5, maxxis highroller 2.35(HATED IT) and WTB weirwolf 2.55. Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me but there has to be a tire out there that's even better. My fork accepts tires up to 2.7 and I refuse to purchase continental tires after how the mountain king performed as a rear tire.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,341
    Try the Hans Dampf in Trailstar compound.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    Two questions:

    How did the Nevegal and Blue Groove compare to each other?

    How was the rolling resistance of the Nevegal--was it noticeably worse than other tires?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    Two questions:

    How did the Nevegal and Blue Groove compare to each other?

    How was the rolling resistance of the Nevegal--was it noticeably worse than other tires?
    Blue groove was really similar to the nevegal but didn't roll as well. The nevegal is about on par with other tires in this category. It's not a tire I'd run as a rear tire though for general AM riding, I prefer a faster tire in the rear.

  5. #5
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,253
    You missed the best Specialized tire that exist. Purgatory Grid 2.4...Get it before they are all gone!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  6. #6
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    You weren't happy with a Minion DHF 2.5" EXO? I think it's the perfect front tire for your description and is my go-to front tire when my AM bike will be ridden on gnarly trails. Granted the DHF 2.7" DH casing grips even better and can be run at lower pressure (I use one on my DH bike) but it seems too heavy for AM.
    Keep the Country country.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,925
    I've ridden some of the tires that you list. Nothing has come close to the new Conti Trail King 2.4 that I just put on. It is nothing like the old MK as far as sidewlls and grips like a mofo. I just put it on because we have leaves dropping and the Purg 2.2 just were not cutting it. This is my new favorite tire.

    I have not ridden the Hans Damnit are they expensive. Not willing to drop $90 on a bike tire, don't care how the fanboys justify it. The TK is freaking awesome though.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    +1 for Minion 2.7. I run a 2.7 DHF in Maxxpro in the front on my dh bike w/ Kenda DH tube. I run 28ish psi in the front and never flatted and they grip like a SOB...I am 240ish lbs. Granted its going to be a bit heavy but if your looking for good hook up then this may be it.

  9. #9
    Addicted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    748
    +1 for the Trail Kings. Get the 2.4 in a Black Chilli compound and they hook up and last forever. Bear in mind the 2.4 TK is larger both in height and width than a 2.5 Minion DHF.
    I run the DHF on my DH bike and prefer the traction of the TK.

  10. #10
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,986
    Big ass tire (check)
    Sticky compound (Check)
    Works in everything (check)
    Corners like its on rails ( check)
    Makes your friends say "damn that a beefy tire (check)
    it can only spell one thing Muddy Mary in 2.5 Vertstar compound!!!!

  11. #11
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,790
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I've ridden some of the tires that you list. Nothing has come close to the new Conti Trail King 2.4 that I just put on. It is nothing like the old MK as far as sidewlls and grips like a mofo. I just put it on because we have leaves dropping and the Purg 2.2 just were not cutting it. This is my new favorite tire.

    I have not ridden the Hans Damnit are they expensive. Not willing to drop $90 on a bike tire, don't care how the fanboys justify it. The TK is freaking awesome though.
    You can get two of them for that price from Germany.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snfoilhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    ...(HATED IT)...
    Men on Film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat, wide, enormus, grippy, chunky front tires-tumblr_m3smf1b4fz1ql4pwmo1_1280.jpg  


  13. #13
    THAT guy
    Reputation: TRY2KPUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    139
    You said you have used the clutch control. Maybe give the clutch SX or DH a try. I use 2.3 clutch sx on my enduro, and really never feel like i need to try a different tire.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,385
    kenda telonix 2.6" is a monster if you dont mind the weight. How wide are your rims? To truly take advantage of the larger tires, nice wide rims are a good idea, inner bead width of at least 25 mm. My DH rims are Halo Combats with a 29 mm inner width, and on them I run the Telonix, or Minion 2.7", or Spec Butcher 2.5; my 3 fav front tires, listed in order of decending grippiness and weight. i run the Telonix only when im shuttling and one of the other two when im pedaling it around.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside, 650b converted

  15. #15
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert View Post
    The 2.4 TK is larger both in height and width than a 2.5 Minion DHF.
    Interesting since the 2.4" Mountain King II is slightly smaller in width and height than a 2.5" DHF. Incidently the DHF measured exactly the same as the 2.4" Ardent I run in the rear. I use the Mountain Kings with the Protection casing when my AM bike is being used in a more XC role. They have sufficient grip and resistence to damage to be appropriate on this type of bike while being much lighter and faster than the Maxxis pair.
    Keep the Country country.

  16. #16
    Addicted
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Interesting since the 2.4" Mountain King II is slightly smaller in width and height than a 2.5" DHF. Incidently the DHF measured exactly the same as the 2.4" Ardent I run in the rear. I use the Mountain Kings with the Protection casing when my AM bike is being used in a more XC role. They have sufficient grip and resistence to damage to be appropriate on this type of bike while being much lighter and faster than the Maxxis pair.
    That seems about right. Mountain Kings are smaller than Trail Kings in their given size. In addition Mountain Kings seem to have always run a bit smaller than comparable tires. Look at a 2.2 Mountain King 29er. That barely compares with most 2.0's.

  17. #17
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,258
    Anything more than the heavy Neve-gal might be overkill for the Enduro.

    For its price, grip, durability, and ability to run tubeless, I find it hard to beat as a front tire.

    I hear great things about the Hans, but for probably twice the price of the Nevegal, is it worth it?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    570
    Are you running tubeless? Most noticeable increase in traction you can do to your bike IMO.

    Long time minion fan here, currently rocking a 2.3 butcher SX up front. Liking it so far.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Anything more than the heavy Neve-gal might be overkill for the Enduro.

    For its price, grip, durability, and ability to run tubeless, I find it hard to beat as a front tire.

    I hear great things about the Hans, but for probably twice the price of the Nevegal, is it worth it?
    I don't have a ton of time on the Nevegal, but my sense is that the Hans Dampf rolls much better, and I have found it to be very durable. The nobs held up surprisingly well for how sticky the Trailstar compound is. It's the most confident front tire I've used, and it roll pretty well considering.

    Edit: Also should add that the Schwalbe tires I've used have been incredibly easy to set up tubeless. The HDs I had on held air indefinitely with no sealant and aired up with a floor pump on Chinese carbon rims.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,315
    If you mean really big, like you say and really don't care about weight then I say:

    2.7 Minion DHF Sticky DH
    2.5 Muddy Mary
    2.5 Butcher DH

    If you're talking "AM" big and you don't really want a 1400 gram tire then:

    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar (big tire, bigger than DHF 2.5)
    Conti Trail King 2.4 Big volume, good grip especially in SoCal duff and loose over hardpack and last a long time
    Specialized Butcher 2.3 or 2.5 SX

    I think these all weigh between 800 and 1000 grams.

    I really like the 2.55 Weirwolf LT you've already tried. Rolls pretty fast. Not too heavy, huge volume, and with it set up tubeless you can run low pressures and it sticks really well in corners, as long as it it's not too loose. Given how low the tread is I'm still amazed at how well it handles some pretty loose conditions though.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-29-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  21. #21
    J:
    J: is offline
    mbtr memebr
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I ride a 2011 specialized enduro I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern.Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me
    Muddy Mary trailstar, great front tire


    I find the Clutch to be my worst front if there's sand anywhere, side knobs too close, floats way too much..

  22. #22
    I ride a Swarf
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Muddy Mary trailstar, great front tire


    I find the Clutch to be my worst front if there's sand anywhere, side knobs too close, floats way too much..
    I have the Muddy Mary in vertstar....seems very grippy...but is quite draggy.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    69
    I have the Hans Dampfs front and rear here in Socal and I can honestly say they are complete crap. I don't know why people love them, thankfully I purchased them on sale. Looking forward to going back to minion/high roller combo...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I love huge front tires. I ride a 2011 specialized enduro and I'm looking for a high volume tire that grips like crazy in high speed corners, levels mountains and speeds up global warming to manufacture from all the rubber it needs. I live in the dusty socal region and it never rains so mud shedding is not a concern. I don't care if I'll suffer going up hill or on flats, I only ride up to go down. I've used the ardent 2.4, kenda nevegal stick-e 2.35, specialized clutch control 2.3, specialized eskar(hated it), kendra bluegroove, maxxis minion 2.5, maxxis highroller 2.35(HATED IT) and WTB weirwolf 2.55. Out of all the tires, the clutch and nevegal have offered the best high speed cornering performance for me but there has to be a tire out there that's even better. My fork accepts tires up to 2.7 and I refuse to purchase continental tires after how the mountain king performed as a rear tire.
    Intense Edge 2.5 either 1ply All-Mountain or 2 ply FreeRide. They are huge for 2.5 tires with wide profile, roll and grip great at low PSI.

    Free Ride

  25. #25
    Ow!
    Reputation: clydecrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    776
    Maybe check Panaracer Fire FR 2.4. It is my favorite "big" tube-type tire (still after many years). Very big (I think bigger than 2.4) and big knobs (like the Fire XC, but way bigger). I think the folding version is under 1000g. Slow, but grabs the corners well for me.

    Only problem I see with it is that the sidewalls seem kinda thin for such a big tire, but I never had any problems with it when I rode it out in the very rocky desert (scraped rocks on the side many times). I still keep a set in case I make it to the mountains in the summer to ride (use tubeless tires with sealant in the desert). I seem to remember I was able to set it up with a Stan's kit on a Mavic EX721, but it was difficult (because of the 721, not the tire).

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    If you mean really big, like you say and really don't care about weight then I say:

    2.7 Minion DHF Sticky DH
    2.5 Muddy Mary
    2.5 Butcher DH

    Bingo, someone IS listening! The side knobs look like they go pretty far down the sidewall on the muddy mary which should make it the best handling tire when I'm leaning into those loose sandy turns. I know the proper cornering techniques and I need more bite when I'm leaning the bike in to corners. Hell, why not just make knobs on the entire side wall, no one uses rim brakes anymore!!!!!!! The LBS I bought my bike from carries the butcher so I'll look at it too.

  27. #27
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,258

    Nice to hear...

    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I don't have a ton of time on the Nevegal, but my sense is that the Hans Dampf rolls much better, and I have found it to be very durable. The nobs held up surprisingly well for how sticky the Trailstar compound is. It's the most confident front tire I've used, and it roll pretty well considering.

    Edit: Also should add that the Schwalbe tires I've used have been incredibly easy to set up tubeless. The HDs I had on held air indefinitely with no sealant and aired up with a floor pump on Chinese carbon rims.
    At some point I'm going to go with the chi carbon rims and was thinking about how schwalbes would set up.

    Rolling resistance seems to be much more of an issue out back. I really don't feel it much up front from tire to tire.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    At some point I'm going to go with the chi carbon rims and was thinking about how schwalbes would set up.

    Rolling resistance seems to be much more of an issue out back. I really don't feel it much up front from tire to tire.
    My chibon experience has been fantastic. I will definitely go that route again on my next wheelset. I use the Bontrager Rhythm strips in the wheels, and the setup is foolproof. The Schwalbes have been the easiest to set up of the tires I've tried. I ended up taking the HD off my bike because it was too much for a rear tire and it was rubbing the paint off my fork arch. I'll have my new rig built up this weekend, and the HD is going back on the front. I ride the 29er version, so caveat emptor.

  29. #29
    I'd Huck That....
    Reputation: slayer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    119
    I run a 2.5 nevegal up front and a 2.35 nevegal in the rear best do all tires for me. Ya I know not the fastest rolling tires but grip awesome and no pinch flats when runing at low psi.I just recently tried a conti trail king 2.4 in back loved it on dry conditions, faster rolling tire but did not grip on NE roots and rocks like the nevy.

  30. #30
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,713
    As mentioned a few times above, get the Black Chili compound!

    Conti tires sound right up your alley.

  31. #31
    J:
    J: is offline
    mbtr memebr
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    I have the Muddy Mary in vertstar....seems very grippy...but is quite draggy.
    Haven't tried the vertstar yet, been wanting to try pacestar out back, but now the new Michelin grip'r has caught my eye.. volume and tread looks good and gonna be available in 650b too
    Last edited by J:; 10-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.

  32. #32
    Clueless genius
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    275
    WTB Mutano 2.4 tire. Go with the TCS version for a bit more heft and sidewall strength. Hands down THE best so-cal tire. Not super chunky-lookin', but does that thing GRIP!
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

  33. #33
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,157
    I liked the 2.5 Weirwolf, too bad they quit making that. I don't think they make the 2.55 lt anymore, either. I complained to Mark Weir when I saw him last year at the WP Enduro, but apparently just because the tires are named after him, he does not have the final say in what they sell.
    I'm currently running some 2.3 Bronsons, which are light and roll decently, but aren't as big as I'd like, and have been more puncture prone than other WTB tires I've used. I guess I'm a bit more concerned about weight and rolling efficiency than you, b/c I've got a set of 2.5 dhf exo's in the garage with a handful of days on them that I'm not too excited about putting back on for everyday trail rides.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    went from the butcher 2.3 to the Hans Dampf 2.35 trailstar on the front of my '12 enduro. and i am in so cal. i love the HD up front. i wont be trying anything else anytime soon.
    Juice

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    679
    You should get an old nokian gazzaloddi 3.0. Those tires were popular in the 90's, mostly for being the largest bicycle tire made. When those tires were paired with zyzzx forks, with their 50mm stanchions, it tricked people into thinking their forks were working.

    One of the other cool things about those tires is that the name almost sounds like Godzilla.

    Nokian gazzaloddi 3.0 NEW - Pinkbike


    Short of getting one of those tires I'd recommend almost any of the modern dh tires with full sticky rubber. The slow rebound soft rubber really makes a difference in every condition I ve used them in.
    Last edited by the.vault; 10-29-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added Godzilla reference.

  36. #36
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,986
    fat, wide, enormus, grippy, chunky front tires-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351569469.597122.jpg

    ADvantage 2.4 and muddy Mary 2.5 just to give you a idea of size. Both are not inflated and get bigger with air of course.


    I tapped that

  37. #37
    bike rider
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,750
    Too bad the ADvantage 2.4" EXO is discontinued. I liked it as a rear tire. Definitely better than the Ardent I replaced it with.
    Keep the Country country.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jb2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by V E E R View Post
    I have the Hans Dampfs front and rear here in Socal and I can honestly say they are complete crap. I don't know why people love them, thankfully I purchased them on sale. Looking forward to going back to minion/high roller combo...
    What do you find crap about them? what compound did you buy them in ? I run the Hans in the Trailstar as a front tyre & best I have used. Not sure what kind of riding you do but for beginner to aggressive allmountain riding its a fantastic front tyre, grip is fantastic in all conditions & terain.
    Life's too short to be soft

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gimpy407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8
    I run a Bronson 2.3 on the front ant it has been the best I have used in almost 10 years

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,896
    The Muddy Mary 2.5is a big tire! PM me if you need one to try (brand new).

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    The MM in a 2.5 is about the same as a DHF in a 2.7 - both only available in dual ply DH versions which would be ridiculous on an Enduro unless you're a total hack. 2.35 MM in FR version is plenty for that bike - I use one for full blown FR/DH use. MM's make Trail Kings and Hans Dampfs look like a total joke and don't let the "Muddy" name fool you (like it has Shiggy who thinks they're mainly a wet weather tire), they are best in dry conditions, especially like SoCal has. The Dirty Dan is Schwalbe's wet weather/mud tire.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN

    PS - Post this in the Wheels and TIRES forum; lots of info on this already over there!!!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hikers Only's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    496
    +1 on the Conti Trail King 2.4. That is a big tire and grips like crazy!

  43. #43
    I fix choppers
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    786

    Ditto!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    I run a 2.5 nevegal up front and a 2.35 nevegal in the rear best do all tires for me. Ya I know not the fastest rolling tires but grip awesome and no pinch flats when runing at low psi.I just recently tried a conti trail king 2.4 in back loved it on dry conditions, faster rolling tire but did not grip on NE roots and rocks like the nevy.

    Nevegals are plenty fast, grip like mad, break away very predictably and are not that expensive. I run the exact same set-up in the mid-Atlantic/South East.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    825
    + 1 on the Purgatory.
    Also the Bontrager XR4 Team is a monster tire, and extremely light.
    They roll decent and the side bite is awesome...especially for a front tire...
    Running tubeless as a front on my Remedy and very happy with it.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

    Nevegals are plenty fast, grip like mad, break away very predictably and are not that expensive. I run the exact same set-up in the mid-Atlantic/South East.
    have you had any experience w/ a 2.35 kenda excavator? i had a pair lying around that i was thinking of mounting on a new bike...thanks!
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post

    Nevegals are plenty fast, grip like mad, break away very predictably and are not that expensive. I run the exact same set-up in the mid-Atlantic/South East.
    I'm not denying that the nevegal is a good front tire. I'm just sure there's a tire out there that's even better and more aggressive. I am happy with it as an all rounder but I love to ride hard and I want a tire that can let me push the limits. I'd say I ride more on the FR side and hit the big stuff when its available.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    What do you find crap about them? what compound did you buy them in ? I run the Hans in the Trailstar as a front tyre & best I have used. Not sure what kind of riding you do but for beginner to aggressive allmountain riding its a fantastic front tyre, grip is fantastic in all conditions & terain.
    Well for SoCal loose hardpack conditions they don't have the cornering bite that a high roller or minion has in my experience. It may have something to do with the round profile of the HD. Also, I noticed they break grip in a unpredictable snap kind of way. Last week I was riding blk mtn when the Hd broke traction in a very sudden way and had me fishtailing like I've never experienced in 20 yrs of riding. Think of old school 911 oversteer on a mtn bike! Rolling resistance is high and they seem to be wearing quickly too. Overall it doesn't live up to the hype or come close to justifying the outrageous price tag.

    I will say that they are fricken huge though! 2.35s in an HD is like a 2.5 for other manufacturers.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trap121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    328
    Do the 2.5 folding nevegals mount up tubeless easily?
    Last edited by trap121; 11-02-2012 at 08:40 AM.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    557
    2.4 Trail Kings/Rubber Queens in Black Chili: Grippy, wears well, rolls well, fat and chunky!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •