mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fast rolling front tire

What are the recomindations for a fast rolling front tire? currently I have 2.3 Nevagals in the fr and I have 2.3 Specialized Captains in the rear.
    Nevegals take some effort to roll unless pointed down. Mostley trail riding rocky rooty and sometimes loose dirt.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member

Noby Nics

I rode on Nevegals for years and just recently switched to Schwalbe Noby Nics. Still an aggressive enough tire but rolls way better than the Nevegals
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

Trail Ninja
    Maybe check out the Bontrager XR4 Team Issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Maybe check out the Bontrager XR4 Team Issue.
    Second that! One of the best out there...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Pretty much anything rolls faster than the Nev. Are you just looking for something faster than the Nev or something which is truly fast? How much braking and/or cornering grip are you will to give up?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Maxxis icon or aspen. Very good rolling tires

eBiker
    Since this is the All Mountain forum, take the above small knob racer treads with a grain of salt.

AM fronts that are fast rollers include, Schwable; Big Betty, Hans Dampf. Michelin Wild Grip'R2, Rock'r. Continental Trail King Mountain King.

I'm with ya, I prefer a fast rolling front as I do a lot of stand and mash over the front.

Right now I'm on the Hans Dampf Pacestar and am really liking it for the front.

P

Note that tread design and knob size does not equal a fast rolling tire. It's more about rubber rebound (hysteresis, not to be confused with shore #) and casing design. Knob design is of lesser importance; see Small Block 8 - grippy beyond it's looks, but also much slower than it looks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneyRiver View Post
    I rode on Nevegals for years and just recently switched to Schwalbe Noby Nics. Still an aggressive enough tire but rolls way better than the Nevegals
    I ran nevegals front and back until switching to Hans front and nobby nic in back and wouldn't go back. Buddy made the same move after my experience and also was very satisfied with the switch

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you...yes Im still looking for the control of the Nevgals but with less rolling resistance. Im going to try the Shwalbes...I think..and a little closer look at the xr4"s

www.derbyrims.com
    Panaracer Rampage. Long lasting, rolls much easier, and grips about as well as a 2.3 Nevegal.

usually cranky
    +1 on what kapusta said. just about anything is faster than a nev. i was impressed at how quick a 2.35 60a minion was for what it is. also check out the wierwolf, pretty fast for how aggressive it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just changed my front nevegal 2.35 to a specialized purgatory control grid 2.4. Rolls much better than the nevegal. I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    Continental Trail King 2.4. It has good volume, great grip and rolls fast on the front

mtbr member
    I know maxxis high rollers are not regarded as very fast, but I find that only applies to using it as a rear tire

On my hard tail, I have a high roller in from and the high volume kenda slant six in back and the setup feels amazingly fast...it feels like it is milking the terrain for every bit of extra rolling speed

It hooks up awesome too in everything but really steep and loose.

I have used minions up front on my FS for years, and now I run them front and back. I can say that as a front only you can have a good rolling setup but DHF on both wheels is sloooooow, however it pays off big time when it gets steep and nasty

I'm not sure how much this contributes but the hub is a hope pro 2 ss and the geo has real short stays and a 23" TT so maybe there is a bit more rearward weight bias...on the hard tail that is with the high roller