Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm fast flowy rear tire suggestions?

I have a dhf2.35, dhf2.5 and a weirwolf i all like as front tire options.
    Does anyone have a goto fast flowy tires for the rear that still hold up to some aggresiveness. Somthing decent braking, climbing, cornering, but faster than typical AM tire. Its rear so it doesnt have to corner as well as the front. Rite now i swap between a dhf 2.35 and cedric xc. Maybe somthin between the two. Been considering maxxis advantage 2.1 hear they run wide. Any suggestion appreciated.
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-14-2013 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nobby Nic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
    Nobby Nic.
    + on that, quality stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Beaten the crap out of a spec ground control grid (dedicated tubeless). I will be getting another one. Lots of sharp rocks where I am at.

undercover brother
    WTB Bronson 2.3

mtbr member
    The nobby nic is a great tire if youre a rich man at about $70+ a tire.

I ride wolverines in the rear because they're fat, offer great traction for climbs, low rolling resistance(higher weight though), nice round tire profile, and they're freakin' cheap! $30. Wolverines are a 2.2 but look about the size of my 2.35 nevegals. I'm really impressed with the value of this tire!

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ikon. You can get it in 2.2 width and the small knobs have some serious bite.

I run that as my rear with an Advantage in the front.

mtbr member
    have you tried trail kings from conti?
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

Huffy Rider
    ^^^^Trail Kings UST made in germany

LCW
    mtbr member

fast flowy rear tire suggestions?

High Roller 2.35 LUST...

I'm running that with a DHF 2.5 UST front... Despite the weight, combo rolls amazingly well
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    High Roller 2.35 LUST...

I'm running that with a DHF 2.5 UST front... Despite the weight, combo rolls amazingly well
    One of my all time favorite tire combo's.
    Also like the Trail Kings, front and rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Don't think trail kings are fast rolling myself. They aren't Nevegals but...

Nobby Nics roll really well, Im running a 2.25 Ardent on the rear now-I hated it on the front, its slightly smaller volume than the 2.25NN and slightly slower rolling but grips on climbs and doesn't b-line over roots nearly as much. Decent rear IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Came into some cash for a few extra tires, problem is want to try so many. I am kinda deterred away from schwalbe; you could almost get two of any other brand for one schwalbe .
    I might pull the trigger on a HR 2.35 to mate the dhf 2.5 as a true AM combo. A 2.4/2.2 trail king would be smidge faster but same ballpark. I want another combo with more pedal, pump, and flow friendliness. A trail king 2.2 i think would be the perfect fast front im looking for. But what mate in rear? I like the sound of a nobby nic except pricing. Would a conti x king be comparable? but........been reading the 2.2 is pretty small and the 2.4 maybe too large of mate? Is maxxis advantage in that ballpark also? Still mot sure about their sizing also.
    My head is just reeling with brands, sizing combos, questioning actual sizing etc etc. There really are so many options.

So for right now, Im going HR 2.35. But any suggestions to go with a trail king 2.2 as a front. Its actual sizing i read is about 2.25. So im looking for an.actual size of 2.1-2.2. aggresive xc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    The nobby nic is a great tire if youre a rich man at about $70+ a tire.

I ride wolverines in the rear because they're fat, offer great traction for climbs, low rolling resistance(higher weight though), nice round tire profile, and they're freakin' cheap! $30. Wolverines are a 2.2 but look about the size of my 2.35 nevegals. I'm really impressed with the value of this tire!
    you wouldnt happen to own calipers would you? Im interested in the 2.2 tire as rear but it cant be to big. Your not the first to say it makes a good rear. At first i thought it was too xc but i actually think it what im going for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I canīt find Wolverine cheap online, I can find NN 2.25 Performance for U$38 free shipping from UK and TLR for U$58.

insert sarcasm here
    I'm running a 2.5 DHF paired with a 2.35 Highroller in back. In my opinion, the 2.35 HR is the perfect AM rear tire. Great corning grip, pretty fast for what it is, and weighs around 750g if I remember correctly.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member

Re: fast flowy rear tire suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    you wouldnt happen to own calipers would you? Im interested in the 2.2 tire as rear but it cant be to big. Your not the first to say it makes a good rear. At first i thought it was too xc but i actually think it what im going for now.
    I got 2.24ish from widest nobby across tire just today, tk 2.2 bc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Kenda Small Block 8 - My favorite when it's dry. Excellent on flowy, buff, bermed trails. Best to swap them out when it gets muddy. Fast and grippy in the right conditions. I run them front and rear in the middle of summer when it's dry and firm, than rear only early and late summer when it's either a bit wet or super dry and powdery. In my opion, Small Block 8's should be in everyones tire quiver. Reasonably priced and lots of sizes, compounds etc.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    HighRollers are decent for the rear and if its pure speed your after, go for the 2.1's.

Any wider than that with a HighRoller and it will collect mud in anything other than very dry conditions; stay away from HR's on your front wheel unless you enjoy controlling power-slides in the wet

hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Kenda H-Factor. Sized at 2.1, or 2.35. Go with the dual tread compound. I really like this tire for fast rolling and primo cornering grip. Also a great climber
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    I don't own calipers. Oddly, the 2.2 Wolverine from 2012 was a noticeable amount wider than the 2.2 Wolverine from 2013. It feels like the sidewall is stronger on it now so I can run a lower pressure which actually is probably providing more mountain bike service to mother nature.

I was looking for the Smallblock 8 in the 2.3 size when I found the Wolverine had a similar but more aggressive tread pattern and nice sidewall knobs. The rubber compound is great as well. I was skeptical on purchasing the Wolverine initially because it says "XC" right on the sidewall. If I had an XC bike, I'd even run it as a front tire but on an all mountain bike, it makes a killer rear tire!

$30 at performance bike right now and with a coupon(they always have coupons), it can be had for even cheaper.

WTB Wolverine Special Edition Mountain Bike Tire - Mountain Bike Tires

Honestly, you don't need a fat knobbed, super wide tire in the rear. 80% of your traction comes from the front if you're riding correctly.

I also don't recommend highroller tires in the front unless you're a savy veteran rider. They either don't grip at all, or grip like crazy. You have to commit to every corner with them.

usually cranky
    2.35 dhf/ 2.2 tk is my setup. a 2.2 trail king is surprisingly fast for how knobby it is. btw i run a black chili one.

Afric Pepperbird
    They are a bit expensive (at $70 a pop), but give the all new Bontrager XR4 Team Issue a try. So far, so very, very good. Recent reviews confirm this.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine swore by the XR4's.... Until he tore knobs off TWO of them within a month which left him stranded 10 miles away from home with me babysitting him on the hike out. Not an end all but a personal experience from my part.

He's now riding the same setup as me now (Nevegal front/wolverine rear).

usually cranky
    why would you walk out after tearing knobs off of your tires? unless he punctured them too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast