Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Eyeglass suggestions?

Hi,

I am riding with my hiking glasses. Unfortunately they fog alot. Do you have good suggestions for biking eyeglasses?

Morten

crashes in parkinglot
    I usually just get some cheapies, i either loose them or break them.
    I have had some luck with REI, mine has some polorized glasses for about $20-30 I find they can fog up if its really humid, so i just get back on my bike and that solves it. (don't get really humid very often in CO)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Smith Interchangables. They have a new lens tint called ignitor, rc36 works great too. Polarized is great for driving, fishing, etc. but too dark for mtb imo. Lenses are also sold seperately so you dont have to buy a new pair when you scratch them. They have lots of frame styles to choose from. I wouldnt consider anything else...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

VooDoo user.
    Smith interchangeable lens.

Native is good and I love the lenses but the warranty dept is a bunch of screww ups. Took them over 2 months to replace my frames. They lost the broken ones I sent and made me send tham tracking #'s from ups.

I still keep the Smiths handy but mainly wear the Natives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The choice is clear: Ryder XTRs. Very truly yours, Thurston Howell III

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The choice is clear: Ryder XTRs. Very truly yours, Thurston Howell III

Custom User Title
    My choice right now is the $10-$12 X-factor yellow lens saftey glasses from Home Depot.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Oakley Jawbones / Racing Jackets (the racing jackets are replacing the jawbones)
    Oakley Jawbone Collection
    Oakley Racing Jacket

The lenses easily swap out and comes standard with two pair. The lenses are also available in "vented" form which keeps a bit of air flowing through them keeping them from fogging up or making you sweat more than usual. The racing jacket's also come with a retaining strap if that makes you feel more comfortable.

usually cranky
    be a proper gent and get a monicle,

mtbr member
    oakley if you have good luck keeping up with your glasses in general. they're sport specific glasses are really well done. style-wise some start to look not so cool the further away you are from your bike..haha. i think the only reason someone wouldn't use them as eye protection is because of price, which, is a good reason but never because they don't work as well.
    always face the herd

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I agree with 53119's assessment of Oakley. I have a pair of Flak Jackets. My first "good" pair of sunglasses. The optics and comfort/fit is absolutely amazing. once I put them on I don't want to take them off. I feel a little too "terminator" while dropping off my daughter at pre-school, but they aren't really THAT extreme. Then again, I've also got a pair of $17 Sette glasses from Price Point in my camelback...rattling around loose, no case, who cares. I lost a pair last summer, bought another one.

So, in summary I guess I would say it really depends on your personal situation. The high end Oakley (and comparable brands) stuff is nice. You will pay for it, but you will know why. And you will do your best to take really good care of it. If all you want is something to stop a rock from hitting your eyeball, get a $17 pair of Sette w/multiple lenses and rock & roll.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

T.W.O
    I have a pair of polarized underarmor glasses that I used for biking, they are all scratched and dirty. I also just got a new pair of custom Oakley Flak Jackets, and for the reason stated above I would NOT use them for biking. I didn't just drop $200 on a pair of sunglasses to have them scratched up, get dirty or even broken.

Go on pricepoint and order up some sette sunglasses, they have plenty of different style options with the 3 lenses.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele View Post
    My choice right now is the $10-$12 X-factor yellow lens saftey glasses from Home Depot.
    Lots of choices from here as well, for similar prices. I have a pair of amber and a darker pair of gray (different frame style, though).

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    If all you want is something to stop a rock from hitting your eyeball, ...
    A rock or something like the fellow on the left that bounced off my glasses the other day:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    A rock or something like the fellow on the left that bounced off my glasses the other day:
    indeed...great pic. there are far worse things than getting hit in the eye by a rock..LOL.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Have you tried Cat Crap?

It is an anti-fog if you do a search, not the cat fecies.
    I use to be lean & mean... Now I'm just an a$$hole!

mtbr member
    Ive used Smith Interchangeables for almost 4 years, im on my 3rd frame (keeping the glasses, just changing the frame due to abuse, oddly my frames get damaged way quicker than my lenses). I use the Trace model which doesnt look as sporty but have served me well for absolutely everything. I have various polarized lenses tinted for fishing and driving and various non-polarized tints for shooting and riding.

I use the phrase "function over fashion" religiously, and I can say this is one of the few times I've gotten the absolute best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Take a look at the new tifosi podiums. Just got a pair last week and I like them a lot

mtbr member
    I'll second Tifosi sunglasses. Lots of styles to choose from. Good optics. Not quite Smith's of Oakley quality, but a third or half the cost. They also have photochromic lenses in some of their models which I love in case of those rides extending to dusk of starting early in the morning.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just started using glasses this year and have been using Optic Nerve Thujone 2.0 for most of this year. Interchangeable lenses are great and the fit is adjustable. They run around $80 or less, so they are between the two extremes of most of the options listed above.

wuss
    Happy with my Adidas. Good band on the forehead which stops sweat ffrom running down, good selection of easily changable lenses. They do sometimes fog up when standing, but clear up as soon as I start riding.

Chamois Dropper
    I've been happy with my Oakley Half Jackets. The biggest drawback is the price, and that they are kind of weird looking, I wouldn't wear them off the bike. I bought them because I wanted some high quality, interchangeable, polarized, vented lenses and some yellows for evening / night riding. If you go to the Oakley store, you can pick out the colors of all the separate parts and which lenses you want its all a la carte. They also come with a nice case that holds your spare lenses.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

wuss
    Forgot to mention the best thing about the Adidas, they have an adjustable width nose piece, and where clearly the best fit for my wide and high nose. They also have 3 heights for the ear pieces so if you have ears at different height they should work too.

edit: large Adidas Evil Eye half rims.

mtbr member
    i have used many good brands - Oakley's, Specialized, Smith etc. The Pivlocks are some of my favorite, but they are expensive. You really cannot go wrong with them, especially with the redesign.

That said, I really have enjoyed my new Nike sunglasses. They are really light and breath so well - I never have fogging issues. Nike is really stepping up their optics game as of late. I have the Tailwind 12. Athletic Sport Sunglasses & Technology | Nike Vision

I have also heard good things about the Adidas sunglasses from friends. I think he has a set of these, although the they fog easier than my Nike's. adidas eyewear evil eye halfrim L

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oakley Radar Ranger
    awesomely wide coverage around the face. You can get vented lenses

mtbr member
    Are you talking about prescription glasses or just sunglasses/protective eyewear?

All the above suggestions may suffice for the latter .... some of them won't for the former.

I know Oakley, Zeal, RudyProject, and WileyX all make free form RX lenses for most of their frames in prescriptions that go up to +/- 3.50 D or so. They are expensive, but sport specific glasses do work better and the free form lenses cause less of a "fish bowl" effect from the higher base curve lenses (wrap).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast