mtbr member
    Dec 2013

evil uprising vs giant reign x

I'm looking at getting a new bike. I can get either a 2012 giant reign x or a 2014 evil uprising. They are both around the same price, and both specd to my liking. I like a bike that corners like it's on rails and my current Trance X with a 160mm fork isn't cutting it. I live in SOCAL and we have some rough and Sandy stuff, but I also like to hit the bike park. Leave your responses to the bikes thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've heard good things about the Nomads but these are currently the bike I'm looking at.

mtbr member
    27.5 Nomad
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Zombie Uprising
    Both are very good bikes, but the Uprising, IMHO, is a bit better package overall.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden a reign but I love the evil uprising. Climbs like a mofo and descends even better. I also use it at the local bike park (duthie hill) and it is a fun poppy bike when it comes to jumping.

Slower But Faster
    My 2010 Reign X was a great bike for the three years I had it. The downside is that in those three years I broke three lower suspension links. I applied the Santa Cruz Nomad "service kit" and solved all reliability issues. In short, if you value reliability, go with the Evil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm curious to know what you think the other two bikes will solve compared to your Trance X? What do you mean by 'its not cutting it'?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Uprising receives stellar reviews. If you aren't familiar with this review check it out: 2014 Bible of Bike Tests Roundtable Reels: Evil Uprising

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My bike 2008 trance x was fun but not aggressive enough. Even with a 160 fork which is silly for a 120 bike it is not confidence inspiring to say the least. I just went to Northstar bike park, and taking it on the blacks and double blacks made it super squirmy. I even fell and broke my Fox rampage helmet in half. Lol so I'm looking more towards the evil right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Uprising climbs better than Reign, not much but better.
    Downhill Evil makes much better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergus View Post
    Uprising climbs better than Reign, not much but better.
    Downhill Evil makes much better!
    +11

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

evil uprising vs giant reign x

Quote Originally Posted by lookoutkd14 View Post
    My bike 2008 trance x was fun but not aggressive enough. Even with a 160 fork which is silly for a 120 bike it is not confidence inspiring to say the least. I just went to Northstar bike park, and taking it on the blacks and double blacks made it super squirmy. I even fell and broke my Fox rampage helmet in half. Lol so I'm looking more towards the evil right now.
    Oh ok, it was a 2008, that makes sense. Thought you were talking about the newer more aggressive ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How is it possible to find a 2012 Reign X and a 2014 Uprising for the same price?

I have a 2013 Reign X and it is a fantastic bike but if I could find a 2014 Uprising for the same price I would have bought it because for this price it would be a bargain.

Zombie Uprising
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    How is it possible to find a 2012 Reign X and a 2014 Uprising for the same price?
    I have a 2013 Reign X and it is a fantastic bike but if I could find a 2014 Uprising for the same price I would have bought it because for this price it would be a bargain.
    True dat!!!