Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    Evil Uprising - Review - Europe. Plastidipped the Bos Deville.

    Hello,

    Let's introduce myself first. I live in the Netherlands, 28 years old, riding since my 16th. Started with xc, at age 18 changed to bmx freestyle. When I was 21 I started with freeriding on a stinky deeluxe and then a 2008 sx trail. Arround my 24th I started more concentrating on Downhill riding. Intense socom, knolly podium, devinci wilson 2011, devinci wilson 2012 are the bikes I had. The last 2 years sponsord by some good bikeshops, Alpinestars and riding the ixs downhill cup on the wilsons. And I had a cove g-spot for some enduro riding over here. Living in the Netherlands a enduro bike is the best you can have. We goth some great enduro riding in the Ardennes or Germany al in a hour drive, also some enduro competitions there. There it all started for Martin Maes. We have some flowy small bikeparks/jump tracks and with a 8 hour drive we are in the alps.

    Duo some problems I left the team this year, quit riding sponsord, it was time for a change. Riding sponsord is not so cool as it can look like with obligations.

    I wanted back to 1 bike, 1 do-it-all bike, get the fun back. And my first choice was the Evil uprising. Why? I loved the devinci wilson downhill bike, and my do-it-all bike has to be a little bit the same, the same characters. Low center of gravity, Dave Weagles suspension design, I wanted a carbon bike. So, you can do the math the Evil Uprising was on paper the bike to choose. An old sponsor of my distributes Evil so I got one for a very good price. Sold my other bikes and build my dreambuild with parts I liked.

    The build:
    Frame: Evil Uprising, size M/L.
    Fork: Bos Deville, 170 mm, tapared.
    Headset: Standard.
    Stem: Renthal Duo.
    Handlebar: Renthal fatbar 20mm.
    Grips: Ergon GA1 Evo.
    Brakes: Formula the one, 180mm disc.
    Seatpost: KS LEV, 150mm travel.
    Seat: Selle Italia.
    Chainguide: Csixx xc.
    Cranks: Sram x0 carbon, absolute black 32t tandblad.
    Bottem bracket: Sram/truvativ.
    Shifter: Sram x0, 10 speed.
    Derallieur: Sram x0 type 2 short cage.
    Cassette: Sram 10 speed.
    Chain: Sram 10 speed.
    Pedals: Time atac mx6.
    Wheels: Ztr flow ex, hope hubs.
    Tires: Schwalbe hans dampf super gravity.
    Tubes: Tubeless.











    The ride:
    With my length of 1.81m I choosed for the M/L frame what fits perfect. 170mm travel in front, just in case, 1cm extra travel for the dh riding and bikeparks is not to bad, geo is still great. I had the X0 1x10 speed from my ex bike, 32t in front with a narrow wide chainring and I can climb everything arround here, chain stay's beautyfull on the chainring.

    The riding itself:
    In one word, amazing! It is really my do-it-all bike. Xc, enduro, jumps, bikeparks, I do it all and it is so much fun on this bike. Set the shock in low position, just because this ride much better dh. It's not ideal for uphill so with long climbs I set the shock in climb mode to get a better position on the bike. Frame is really stiff and does not flex at all, rockgardens, here I come. With the low center of gravity you can really throw the bike in to corners, drifting, railing, you can control it so good, those hans dampf tires are also great. The bikes rear travel really progress nice to the end, give's you a fealing you have much more travel than 150mm. It's just a small dh bike when you put your seat down. It's a long time ago I had so much fun on a bike!

    What could be better:
    Internal cable routing would be nice, to give it a cleaner look. The rear end could have some more tire clearance. 160mm travel in the rear would also be nice, I know there are just some people who think 150mm is not enough. And it's to bad the frame is not deliverd with the new fox float x ctd shock. Curious if there will come a model with 27.5" wheels...

    Some action:












    And a movie of my trip to Finale Ligure, Italy:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/336000/

    Best regards,

    Jeroen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evil Uprising - Review - Europe.-p4pb9968610.jpg  

    Last edited by Stylomat; 12-19-2013 at 01:39 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    314
    Nice review, It's a shame the frame costs so much more here than in the U.S. It would actually be cheaper to fly to New York and pick the frame up than to buy it from one of the very few retailers who are selling Evil Bikes here in Euroland.
    And since I have to wait soooo long until I can get this bike I am going to pretend that every reviewer hates this bike. They say it rides like a 1989 V brake rigid hard tail with an extra long seat post with no saddle. LALAla-LA, I am not listening to how awesome this bike is.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Nice review, It's a shame the frame costs so much more here than in the U.S. It would actually be cheaper to fly to New York and pick the frame up than to buy it from one of the very few retailers who are selling Evil Bikes here in Euroland.
    And since I have to wait soooo long until I can get this bike I am going to pretend that every reviewer hates this bike. They say it rides like a 1989 V brake rigid hard tail with an extra long seat post with no saddle. LALAla-LA, I am not listening to how awesome this bike is.
    I don't know what the frame in the US cost. But here in Europe it is also not expensive if you compare it to the Nomad, Specialized enduro, Ibis Mojo. I think retail price is arround 2300,- Pretty cheap for a full carbon high end enduro frame.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    314
    Where can I buy it for that price? So far I've only seen a shop in the U.K where it would cost me 3,000 CHF plus shipping, toll, taxes brining it to around 3,500 CHF vs taking a vacation in the U.S and getting the frame for 2,200 CHF plus round trip plane ticket for 600 CHF.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

  5. #5
    Zombie Uprising
    Reputation: tp806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    592
    Swissam & Stylomat you are both right.
    @Swissam, indeed the price to buy from the US is much cheaper, I bought mine from the States while I was there for work and had it shipped to Greece, where I am now relocated for work.
    That saved me quite a lot (600+). Ιf you have some friend or relative to send it to you by post from the US, it would be ideal.

    @Stylomat, is also correct in saying the price of 2300 for the Uprising frame + shock, is relatively reasonable, in comparison with the SC Nomad C, Yeti SB-66C, Pivot Mach 6, etc. The cheapest of those is the Nomad which can be found with a lot of search for around 2.5k, whereas the other two frames are upwards of the 3k mark.
    So in that sense the Evil Uprising is great value for money, for such a stout carbon AM/Enduro bike.

    Enjoy the bike, it is simply awesome!!!

    PS. Since I am gonna be riding mine this season in Greece (and I am Greek also), should I put my initial review, I've already done, here in the Evil Europe section as well?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dominator13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,439
    You are killing it! We agree with the "bike can do it all" comment. So much so, we are trying a little experiment with our quiver.

    My first ride on the Uprising was a climb ride and I had it in the LOW setting, I was miserable. I switched it back, but will try again in low when there is less pedaling.

    Great review and pictures.....that's how this bike should be ridden!
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,300
    Haha - nice Europe Uprising review Great shots and nice riding!

    BTW - I will be in the Netherlands in January at Delft University, I am on a PhD student's committee.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Where can I buy it for that price? So far I've only seen a shop in the U.K where it would cost me 3,000 CHF plus shipping, toll, taxes brining it to around 3,500 CHF vs taking a vacation in the U.S and getting the frame for 2,200 CHF plus round trip plane ticket for 600 CHF.
    Contact: maarten@canadian-dirt.com
    He can fix you one! Say you got his mail from Jeroen Peeters .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Haha - nice Europe Uprising review Great shots and nice riding!

    BTW - I will be in the Netherlands in January at Delft University, I am on a PhD student's committee.
    Thanx!
    Ahhh, Delft is flat as hell. I live in the south of the Netherlands. By maastricht, we got some hills over here and with a hour drive we have the Ardennes with some sick enduro riding. Everything in the middle of nord of the netherlands is flat and boring to ride, only xc.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    Contact: maarten@canadian-dirt.com
    He can fix you one! Say you got his mail from Jeroen Peeters .
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am in the process of upgrading my career so it won't be until March that I will be earning a decent salary again, then it will take a few months to recover from the expenses of school so I am looking at mid summer when I can justify (I.e wife approval) this expense. Which gives me time to research every component that will suit my needs best and the longevity of the newer stuff like the Pike fork. Still undecided between the Uprising and Mach 6.
    How do you like the Deville on the Uprising?
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,445
    nice review... sweet pics too!

    question, whats the clicking sound in your vid. you can hear it a lot between 1:00 - 1:30

    i hear that a lot in peoples vids. is it the camera mount or what?

    thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    nice review... sweet pics too!

    question, whats the clicking sound in your vid. you can hear it a lot between 1:00 - 1:30

    i hear that a lot in peoples vids. is it the camera mount or what?

    thanks
    If I only know.. haha. I also don't know.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am in the process of upgrading my career so it won't be until March that I will be earning a decent salary again, then it will take a few months to recover from the expenses of school so I am looking at mid summer when I can justify (I.e wife approval) this expense. Which gives me time to research every component that will suit my needs best and the longevity of the newer stuff like the Pike fork. Still undecided between the Uprising and Mach 6.
    How do you like the Deville on the Uprising?
    The deville is worth the money. But also here I got a good deal on it.
    Air fork, but feels as a coil. Stay's beautyfull high in the travel and progres butter smooth too the end.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    If I only know.. haha. I also don't know.
    check this out... GoPro camera clicking noise fix - YouTube
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    Ow, yeah. That could be it. I only use that white thing when I mount the cam on my helmet. With the chest cam I did not use it, thanx!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    Ow, yeah. That could be it. I only use that white thing when I mount the cam on my helmet. With the chest cam I did not use it, thanx!
    no prob
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,909
    Thanks for the review. I really enjoyed your video from your Finale Ligure trip. I usually don't enjoy POV footage but those trails were worthy both for technicality and scenery and the riding was very fast which kept the interest up. Nice work.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Thanx for this nice compliment!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    150
    Stylomat,

    are you running the 170mm fork with the bike in the "low" or "high" bottom bracket position?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Stylomat,

    are you running the 170mm fork with the bike in the "low" or "high" bottom bracket position?
    In low bottem bracket position.
    I have never ridden it in high bottem bracket position.

    Maybe it's a idea to try it. But with the bb in high position and de 170mm fork, I think that will be too high? Now in low position it captures a bit on the difference.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nunomelo77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35
    Hey up Stylomat,

    Congrats on you awsome ride!

    Been reading some negative reviews about a cosmetic issue on the Uprising frame: paint cracking on the rear swingarm caused by the difference in flex between the aluminum insert and the carbon. Seems that it's safe to ride however, and I firmly believe that Evil Bikes will respond positivelly to this as a warranty replancement.
    (Evil Uprising - review)

    You seem to give some propper abuse to the frame, so I was wandering: How's that rear swingarm on your Uprising holdin' up?

    The thing is I'm really hopping to buy an Evil Uprising frame in the next few weeks, the 1st one in Portugal, but I must confess I'm a bit disappointed by that issue.

    Cheers!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by nunomelo77 View Post
    Hey up Stylomat,

    Congrats on you awsome ride!

    Been reading some negative reviews about a cosmetic issue on the Uprising frame: paint cracking on the rear swingarm caused by the difference in flex between the aluminum insert and the carbon. Seems that it's safe to ride however, and I firmly believe that Evil Bikes will respond positivelly to this as a warranty replancement.
    (Evil Uprising - review)

    You seem to give some propper abuse to the frame, so I was wandering: How's that rear swingarm on your Uprising holdin' up?

    The thing is I'm really hopping to buy an Evil Uprising frame in the next few weeks, the 1st one in Portugal, but I must confess I'm a bit disappointed by that issue.

    Cheers!
    Hey,

    my uprising holds up fine, no problems yet!
    Will keep an eye on it but will there be this problem I now for sure Evil will respond positivelly to this as a warranty replacement.

    Friend of mine has the same problems with his SC nomad carbon.

    Cheers.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    New photo, pretty nice I must say:


    Only on my rear swingarm it also starting with the cracking paint. But allready had contact, Evil is working on a complete carbon swingarm, testing it and then I get a new one.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nunomelo77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35
    That's one hell of a nice bike u got there, mate!

    Shame that issue with the cracking paint on the swingarm. Guess it will happen to all Uprising frames, incliding my future one :/
    Most important is that the brand commits to replace the complete swingarm, and probably with a lighter full carbon one.

    Decided to build mine next month and the specs will be simmilar to yours:
    - M/L Uprising
    - black Deville TRC 160
    - Kirk (still unsure, maybe will stick to the Float CTD - see other Uprising review topic)
    - full XX1 transmission
    - TRS+ wheelset
    - black Formula RO
    - KS LEV
    - Havoc carbon
    ...

    Cheers!

  25. #25
    Zombie Uprising
    Reputation: tp806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    New photo, pretty nice I must say:


    Only on my rear swingarm it also starting with the cracking paint. But allready had contact, Evil is working on a complete carbon swingarm, testing it and then I get a new one.
    You and me both, mate!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Evil Uprising - review
    By Dude! in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 1345
    Last Post: 21 Hours Ago, 03:39 AM
  2. Evil Imperial
    By tmoney in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 06:25 AM
  3. evil uprising
    By 'size in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM
  4. Evil DOC
    By phxartboy in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM
  5. Evil D.O.C vs Evil Sovereign
    By woodc in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •