Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Evil Uprising - review

PRELUDE
    Over the last few years, I have been looking for an aggressive trail/AM bike to complement my Knolly Delirium. My Delirium has been my go to bike, it works well in so many riding environments. The Delirium has made me a better rider. I have built it for heavy duty for the parks/jumping and lighter duties for all day epics in Moab and Santa Cruz. However, in the end it is a burly bike and with everyone switching to lighter bikes, I too needed to match the riding group.

The problem is that every trail/AM bike that I have ever tried or purchased, never seemed worthy to the Delirium. In many cases, the Delirium's pedal performance was nearly as good or just a tad less, but never enough to warrant enough separation for when turning the bike downhills (this is why we go uphill).

I made a list of things I wanted...trail-am bike that can handle abuse, slack head angle, longish wheelbase, iscg tabs, 26 inch wheels, progressive suspension curve, pedal well going uphill, and shred going downhill, separation from my Delirium, and it had to be a bike that had that "it" factor that makes you just want to ride it every chance you get.

These requirements eliminated many bikes, for example Santa Cruz bikes, Pivot Carbon Mach 5.7. There were other bikes that could replace my Delirium in a lighter form - Specialized Sworks Enduro, the Knolly Chilcotin, or the Ibis Mojo HD. Trust me I considered a lot of bikes - I have a spreadsheet of numbers with likes and dislikes, etc.

Along this journey, I came across the Evil Uprising. I followed the drama of Evil Bikes on Ridemonkey, the interesting write-up by Seb Kemp. Even with this drama, people continued to rave about the Revolt. Revolt customers were given their warranty Undead carbon frame. To me, this said a lot about the company and the man behind it - Kevin! I gained a lot of respect for him, as most people would walk away.

One of the things that supporters of Evil bikes continuously said was send Kevin (Evil Bikes owner) an email and he will promptly answer your questions. After seeing the basic geometry numbers for Uprising, I sent Kevin an email and I got a quick response answering my questions. The email exchange occurred over the next month to point that I wanted the Uprising. I was now on the list for getting an Uprising. Kevin kept me updated with the schedule and then one of day, I got an email that said " the eagle has landed" and within a few days I had an Uprising frame

REVIEW
    The frame is beautiful and super solid - you know it can handle abuse. It is carbon fiber, but it has this unique quasi-rubberized finished (no scratches yet). It has a number of cable guides as part of the frame. It comes with a headset, seat clamp, maxle thru-axle, cable guide clips, and some extra stickers. It come with lower external downtube plastic protector. The headset cups are designed into the frame. I found my existing CaneCreek race on my fork fitted the lower bearing. All of the bolts have printed directions and torque specs on them. All of the bolts, even the rear post mount disc brake, have metal inserts on the back end. Only the ISCG tabs and water bottle nuts are build directly into the frame. I got the frame with the new Fox Float X CTD because Kevin said this makes the bike into a mini-DH machine.

Lastly - the bike just looks bada$$!

The build - I used many of the existing parts from my previous trail/AM bike attempts.
    Uprising Medium
    Fox Float X CTD shock
    Fox Float 36 150mm RC2 (540mm axle to crown)
    Industry Nine wheels (20mm front, 142mm rear)
    XT brakes - 203mm front, 180mm rear
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 rear
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front
    Chromag bars
    Chromag stem
    Chromag grips
    170mm Saint Cranks
    Point One Pedals
    SRAM clutch rear der
    1x10 set-up
    RaceFace Narrow/ride ring
    MRP XCG bashguard
    KS LEV seat dropper

Resulting geometry - 66 head tube, 71 seat tube, 13.75 bottom bracket, 44.5 wheelbase.

Suspension is a high - slightly forward single pivot with a progressive leverage. This results in good pedaler in the saddle and when out of the saddle the suspension is active. Once I dialed in the correct air pressure for the shock, the bike feels amazing - a nice combination of plushness, traction, and good pedaling. I have knocked the o-ring off the shock but never had a harsh bottom out.

To me, this bike has a huge fun factor - it is just a blast to ride. It pedals uphill so well and then turn it downhill and I am blown away. It eats up roots and spits them out. The geometry is great! Does the suspension brake squat - yes but not overly bad. Is there some monkey motion when out of the saddle in the very easy gears - yes, but not too bad. For the total package, this bike just rips and is so much fun that these negatives are just not that bad.

Every ride I am going faster and faster, and faster than I normally ride. I have hit jumps, flown through rock gardens, and railed corners. I have been completely comfortable with the bike since day 1, but because it rides so much different than my Delirium, I am figuring out how to operate it the best, when to skip, when to plow, etc.

I tend to keep the shock in the descend mode, as it provides the most traction when climbing and plushness for everything else. I use trail mode for jumping. For cheating on the fire roads, the climb position is quasi-lock out.

I am still tinkering with a few things (i.e. front fork) and still learning the subtle behaviors. I highly recommend this frame for anyone who is looking for a similar bike with a huge fun factor.

Thank you Kevin for answering all of my endless questions and helping me out! I want also thank Chad at Redbarn for the parts.

Evil Uprising - review-evil2.jpgEvil Uprising - review-evil3.jpgEvil Uprising - review-evil4.jpgEvil Uprising - review-evil5.jpgEvil Uprising - review-evil6.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Evil Uprising - review

Great looking whip

mtbr member
    Nice review ...how tall are you using the Medium frame size ? which size stem do you use and how does it fit you ?

mtbr member
    Thanks Incubus and kodo28

I am 5' 8.5 inches with slightly longer torso. I am running 50mm stem with 30inch bars. The frame cockpit fits great. I am in the attack position (over the front) on the downhills. On the climbs, I have good amount of room with no issues. Everything feels natural.

A buddy of mine who is taller than me was surprised that the frame size felt good to him as well.

There is a medium-large tweener frame size for folks that generally fall between a medium and a large. i considered the tweener size but I am glad I got the medium.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Dude

I was asking you cause , I'm one of the folks between sizing

squish, squish in da fish
    nice writeup & even nicer bike. evil has always sparked my interest and i kick myself for recently letting a sovereign frame slip through my fingers, but this frame may be the answer why i was slow on scooping it up. whats the weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    nice writeup & even nicer bike. evil has always sparked my interest and i kick myself for recently letting a sovereign frame slip through my fingers, but this frame may be the answer why i was slow on scooping it up. whats the weight?
    Thanks. Bike weighs 30.5lbs. Granted I have a pretty burly build which could be reduced in many areas. Since I had most of these parts, I just used them. I wanted to get a feel for the bike and its capabilities before swapping parts. I am on the fence as to reducing weight for two reasons. First, it rides lighter than it is and everything on it now works so well I just don't need to! As mentioned the frame is awesome, so I will end up tinkering with the parts around it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodo28 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Dude

I was asking you cause , I'm one of the folks between sizing
    Haha - good luck with your purchase! Frame size was discussion point with Kevin and he thought I was perfect for a medium and he was correct.

RideDirt
    So whats a frame like this go for nowadays?

mtbr member
    Awesome Evil, great to see another Evil on the forums. Enjoy it =)

+192381237 on Kevin being a stand up guy... minus the fact that he prefers Bourbon to Irish Whiskey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    PRELUDE... and it had to be a bike that had that "it" factor that makes you just want to ride it every chance you get.
    To me, this is so important, and the uprising is the very definition of "it factor". your bike is totally glorious.

I'm interested to know if you ever drop the chain with your narrow/wide chainring and clutch der setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Awesome Evil, great to see another Evil on the forums. Enjoy it =)

+192381237 on Kevin being a stand up guy... minus the fact that he prefers Bourbon to Irish Whiskey.
    Yeah he has been super cool and helpful. He always is ready to help and is into it - no BS - just funny, informative replies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    To me, this is so important, and the uprising is the very definition of "it factor". your bike is totally glorious.

I'm interested to know if you ever drop the chain with your narrow/wide chainring and clutch der setup.
    No chain drops at all - very impressive. It is set-up as 1x10. I was considering the 1x11 but the bike pedals so well - it doesn't need it, at least for my trails. However, 1x11 will let you go almost anywhere with this bike. The 11spd cassette has better use of range than the 10 spd cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cool bike! I like that it looks like the Undead.

I ride a Sovereign so by the time I'm seriously thinking of moving onto a fs bike, the 140mm version will be out and all the bugs worked out (if any) as it'll be another 1-2 years from now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    nice bike! congratulations!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Evil Uprising - review

I don't get how someone can review a bike without comparing it to similar bikes they've ridden, magazines included. It might as well just be marketing fluff. Waiting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I don't get how someone can review a bike without comparing it to similar bikes they've ridden, magazines included. It might as well just be marketing fluff. Waiting...
    I guess you just have to trust me - haha! But that's the reality - you never know what to believe regardless if it is printed in magazine. Hopeful my description provides a data point that others can use and with more comments, folks can determine if this is the right bike for them.

I am just providing an update on a bike with relatively limited information. There are a lot of good bikes out there. However, the list is reduced for my riding style and preference, which I stated in my want list. I agree reviews are hard because the entire behavior of a frame can be modified by the fork and its setup, tires, rear shock - shock pressure, even hub engagement has an influence.

For example, my buddies have been asking me about the Fox Float X CTD shock. I can't comment because I don't have anything to compare it against. All I can say is it works well as I have no issues.

I recognize experience is useful in evaluating the "truthfulness" of the review
    Other bikes I have owned or ridden - Santa Cruz Blur TRC, Nomad, Blur, Butcher, V10, Bronson, Superlight, Knolly Delirium, Podium, Endorphin, Canfield One, Jedi, Ibis Mojo, Mojo HD, Turner 5 Spot (various versions), Yeti ASR, SB66, Specialized Enduro, SX, Stumpy Evo, Banshee Spitfire, Rune, Pivot Mach 5.7 and carbon, amongst others.

I could have probably made most of these frames work well for me. Your riding can adapt to bike behavior - i.e. most of us started on hardtails and moved to full suspension. Yes, there are some I completely dislike and others I don't prefer. Through my experience, I prefer to discuss what I like. If I don't write about it, i don't like it.

My flight is boarding....gotta go

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Evil Uprising - review

Yeah, but what I was really asking about, was, what do you like and don't about this bike compared to others you've tried. I've found just about every bike has its pros, cons, nuances, quirks, and glorified fluff of 'i like or don't like this bike' is pretty damn useless while relative comparisons are amazingly helpful for those that have ever tried more than one bike. I don't really care what bikes you've been on, I care about how this bike is different or similar to bikes you've been on. I won't ever see an Evil bike, much less ride one, unless I bought one, but I have ridden a bunch of other bikes that you likely have as well. A review is much more useful to the community if there's points of comparison.

RideDirt
    So Dude! , how would you compare it against the Pivot Mach 5.7 and the Spec Enduro ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    So Dude! , how would you compare it against the Pivot Mach 5.7 and the Spec Enduro ?
    As mentioned, I am not ready to give up my Knolly Delirium. I look at the Specialized Sworks Enduro as a carbon version of the Delirium - off course with some difference. My good buddy that I ride with all the time got a Sworks Enduro and loves it. He has it dialed and the way I would set-up. It rides a bit different more off the back than Knolly bikes. It feels really good - plush suspension - standard FSR pedaling, etc. He thinks the Delirium pedals better. It is hard to tell because the weight difference between the 2 bikes is about 6-7lbs. I feel the Enduro pedals well. It can handle abuse - he has hit 30 footers, step down, step ups and railed rock gardens. You loose a bit of confidence owing to the lighter setup.

The Sworks Enduro has good geometry, suspension, 26 inch, good wheel clearance - almost everything I like. I don't like the limited shock options, but that is a minor issue. That frame is very expensive - at $3500. For me it is hard to justify this price - it is beyond my reasonable limit for a frame to cost. I spend a lot of coin on biking, but you have to draw a line. I also wouldn't buy one used as I would be afraid to break it and be out money.

I wanted something different that 4-bar, FSR considering that I have the Delirium.

Both Uprising and Enduro can handle similar terrains. We ride together and both hit the same things at the same speeds. The difference is more FSR/4-bar versus Single-pivot/DW-link - pick your pleasure!

Carbon Mach 5.7 carbon was a consideration - it felt great but without ISGS tabs and the press in bottom bracket - you can't install a chain guide - this stopped me there. I like hopping over big trees that are down in the trail, flying through rock gardens. I need a chain ring protection. The Mach 5.7 carbon felt a tad more trailish, but nothing overly bad. Some folks seem to build this bike aggressive and rail with it. The new Mach 6 looks awesome with ISGS tabs, but not interested in 27.5 inch wheels.

Uprising has ISCG tabs and a geometry is similar, Uprising has steeper seat angle relative to head angle and slightly longer wheelbase.

I hope this helps. Next flight is boarding....I am out for a few days due to work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Great review and awesome bike dude!

I can offer some input on narrow/wide chainring and clutch derailleur setup. I ride a slayer 70 (probably a rougher ride than that AWESOME evil) and I have never dropped a chain with the following combos.
    32t wolftooth with non clutch x9 medium cage
    32t wolftooth with clutch x9 medium cage
    32t wolftooth with clutch x9 short cage
    30t raceface direct mount with clutch x9 short cage

Every ride I go on is very rocky and rooty and includes anywhere from 5 to 25 rock gardens that I hit at 15-35 mph and plenty of high speed small jumps and numerous drops to flat. I use 95% of my 165mm of travel every ride.
    Prior to the first time I actually used my wolftooth narrow wide with no chainguide I was 100% convinced there was no way my chain wouldn't fall off. Months later and I haven't lost my chain or even come close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Great review and awesome bike dude!

I can offer some input on narrow/wide chainring and clutch derailleur setup.
    assuming this is all 10 speed cassette, chain, other DT stuff?

i think the ultimate test would be on one of the bastardized setups like i have on my FS bike: 9 speed sram shifter, 9 speed chain & cassette, 10 speed shimano shadow plus derailleur

i wonder how critical the chain width relative to chainring is? i would guess very

usually cranky
    it is funny/ sad these days you have to stipulate you want and look for a 26'' bike.

mtbr member
    Evil Uprising - review-evil3.jpgHello,

Have the same bike , Evil Uprising , and agree with your opinion . This bike is the bike if you are looking for a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mawey View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evil3.jpg 
Views:	2347 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	830939Hello,

Have the same bike , Evil Uprising , and agree with your opinion . This bike is the bike if you are looking for a fun bike.
    Those are sweet looking bikes. How you liking that BOS?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast