mtbr member

Evil Sovereign... Ti ?

Commented on the best steel hardtail thread and almost asked there but decided not to "derail" on that one...

I've been riding 2 bikes (both SS, both small sizes) exclusively for the last 3 years:
    -custom Ti XC-ish bike (21lbs with pedals, carbon rims, Reba fork, dropper seatpost)
    -Evil Sovereign with 140mm fork (25lbs with pedals, Easton Haven rims, FOX fork, dropper seatpost)

Both are very solid bikes for my weight, 130lbs.

I have taken both bikes on the same trails to see how different they ride on the same terrain. Having done that often now, I realize that if my Sovereign was a few pounds lighter, it could easily be my only bike. Slack head angle, adjustable chainstay length via sliding drop-outs, also fantastic for SS.

IF I bring my frame to a custom (Ti) builder, will they accept "copying" another company's frame? Would it be the best way to go about it? As much as I (really really) like builders like Black Sheep, I can't (for now anyway) spend +$3.5K on a frame.... and then pay another few hundred dollars to have it shipped to Canada...

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    I don't know much about frame building, you could copy the geometry I'm sure, but copying all the tube sizes and dimensions but in titanium would probably be very expensive and not cost effective in terms of weight/strength/$$$. These materials all have different qualities and there's probably good reasons for the size of the tubing etc on the Sovereign which are there because of the material it's made from.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc