Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 118
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,089

    Evil Sovereign is back....

    I guess I am out of the loop, I hadn't picked up on hints of the line-up coming from Evil Bikes this year.
    Full lineup is right over here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    my next frame
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

  3. #3
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,285
    Doesn't look like they've changed much....which is probably a good thing.
    Lots of good options in the steel all-mountain hardtail category these days....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,978
    ICSG tabs are new.

  5. #5
    etruscan biker
    Reputation: lorenz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84
    And no more Reynolds 853 tubing (this could be a good thing, if they keep the price low without adding too much weight)

  6. #6
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    It is an awesome frame and looks very hardcore when built up!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    667
    looks super!
    any idea on prices?
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

    http://www.mtbcut.tv

  8. #8
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    The new Evil Sovereign rips! I've been testing one for a few weeks now and it makes for a super fun aggressive trail bike. it's slack and low - but not low to the extend that you keep mashing your pedals on rocks.

    adjustable dropouts are nice - I run mine in the long wheelbase setting because I'm use to riding longer bikes. Makes for a much more stable bike at speeds but it's still nimble and easy to manual.

    really stoked on this bike - I hadn't ridden a HT in a long while but this bike got me jazzed about riding one again.


  9. #9
    etruscan biker
    Reputation: lorenz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84
    That's gorgeous! Tell us... everything: I heard of 4 sizes instead of the old two (I hope there will be a longer seat tube for taller riders) and some geometry changes. Do you confirm that? Any hint about frame weight? Thank you.

  10. #10
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    That's gorgeous! Tell us... everything: I heard of 4 sizes instead of the old two (I hope there will be a longer seat tube for taller riders) and some geometry changes. Do you confirm that? Any hint about frame weight? Thank you.
    yes there will be 4 sizes - Small, Med, Large and XL.

    one shown here is a Med with a 585mm virtual TT length.

    I think my Med was around 5.8lbs but don't quote me on that one...I like my HTs to be a burly, the weight keep the bike a bit more planted when trying to carry speed through rough descents.

    HT angle is around 68 degree with the Pike at full 140mm. Slack enough to add cornering stability on steeper descents, but not too slack where you can't steer through tight flat singletrack. If you're used to riding steep bikes, it will take a bit of getting used to since you need a bit more body English - but if you're used to riding bigger bikes, you'll feel right at home

  11. #11
    etruscan biker
    Reputation: lorenz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    84
    Thank you very much for the info. Actually I'd love an aggressive hardtail... I was almost sold on Chromag Samurai but some issues made me delay my decisions... and, since I must wait, I can put other candidates on the plate. This one is a really awesome one

  12. #12
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    Thank you very much for the info. Actually I'd love an aggressive hardtail... I was almost sold on Chromag Samurai but some issues made me delay my decisions... and, since I must wait, I can put other candidates on the plate. This one is a really awesome one
    guess what other HT I own?
    Last edited by Acadian; 02-11-2009 at 10:55 AM.

  13. #13
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    The new Evil Sovereign rips! I've been testing one for a few weeks now and it makes for a super fun aggressive trail bike. it's slack and low - but not low to the extend that you keep mashing your pedals on rocks.
    Thats awesome, looks very nice built up.

    Whats the BB height like with that build? Has the geometry changed on the newer version?

    Would you offer any thoughts on the soveriegn vs. the sakura? I know the sov is beefier & heavier. Would appreciate your thoughts.

  14. #14
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    oh wow that's nice. is that a pearly white?
    So far i'm torn between this and the transAm. Seems like Evil too is venturing into the customizable graphics which is a nifty extra.

  15. #15
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Thats awesome, looks very nice built up.

    Whats the BB height like with that build? Has the geometry changed on the newer version?

    Would you offer any thoughts on the soveriegn vs. the sakura? I know the sov is beefier & heavier. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    with 2.35 High Roller's the BB is just a hair over 13"

    I never really rode the older Sovereign - but that's only because I wasn't keen on the geometry back then - with that said, the geo definitely changed. I can't tell you exactly what changed - but I know for sure the head angle got slacker

    Yes the Sovereign is burlier than the Sakura. At 4 lbs for the frame alone, the Sakura is more of an ultra light trail bike with aggressive geometry + the Sakura does not have any ISCG tabs. IMO the Stylus is more in line with the Sovereign.

    For some reason I feel a bit more confident on the Sovereign Im sure the added weigh has something to do with it, but it feels a bit more planted than the Sakura did.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,896
    Acadian = LUCKY!!!

    toby

  17. #17
    ****************
    Reputation: One_Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Sick slack hardtail. Looks very nice.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    49
    I'm in the process of building a Dialled Bikes Alpine. It is schweet!!! The welds are beautiful and the Reynolds tubes are nice. Feels light. Has ICSG tabs and will accept 3" tires. Can't wait to ride it....

    I like that Evil. It's blacktastic. Beefier looking than the Alpine. Wonder how the stats stack up?
    Last edited by special red; 02-11-2009 at 07:59 PM.

  19. #19
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Here are some pics of the proto XL that I've been on for about 2 months now. As spec'd (sans bag & bottle) is 12.3kg with zero weight weenie parts (ok, I lie...I do have a Prime Aero ACE carbon extrusion spacer on there). Frame weight for the XL proto was 2739g. Eff TT is 630mm.





    -ska todd
    Last edited by ska todd; 02-11-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: photobucketed

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,391
    mmmm nice todd. in my size to boot. can't wait.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

  21. #21
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    how's the tire clearance relative to where you set the axle in the slots? Is that a pearl finish on the whites? it looks rather superb i must say.

  22. #22
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Why did I stumble across this thread...
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 02-12-2009 at 12:28 PM.

  23. #23
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,228
    Too late for me now...

    I used to drool over the original Sovereign but it was too expensive and I got myself this instead:

    (still a bit unfinished when I took the pic)

  24. #24
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    how's the tire clearance relative to where you set the axle in the slots? Is that a pearl finish on the whites? it looks rather superb i must say.
    There is a ton of clearance on there with the axle fully slammed...even more with it further back. Remember that Evil was born in the Northeast, is now Seattle based, and has a loyal following in the UK. So, we know and respect mud!




    My tire is measuring 52mm at the knobs with 15mm clearance at the stays on each side.

    -ska todd

  25. #25
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    any geometry or availability info for us impatient folks ?

  26. #26
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965


    -ska todd

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for posting the geometry information. Can you tell us what the a2c was of the fork that was used to get these numbers?

    Also, any idea when the new Sovereign will be available?

  28. #28
    Industry Loudmouth
    Reputation: ska todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    965
    Geoms are based on a-to-c of 510.9mm (140mm Fox 32) and 2.35" tires.

    Availability is planned for late spring.

    -ska todd

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I never really rode the older Sovereign - but that's only because I wasn't keen on the geometry back then - with that said, the geo definitely changed. I can't tell you exactly what changed - but I know for sure the head angle got slacker
    The HA is slacker.
    Also the CS length was adjustable from 15.7" to 16.4" and now it is from 16.22" and 16.93".

    I love my "old" Sovereign.




  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: accutrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    108
    @perttime...

    I promise you will have fun with your 2soulscycles 41.5 ....I also wanted a sovereign and decided finally for the 41.5....

  31. #31
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd


    -ska todd
    This is a general SS question, but say that given your gearing (32x18 in my case), the ideal chainstay length is 17.1. That means the sovereign's stays range is too short/too long because if we remove a link, we're down to 16.1. In this case, do ppl just change their gear ratio (maybe 34x18) so the ideal length falls in the range? or use a half link? Or are most horizontal dropout slots > 1 inch?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    This is a general SS question, but say that given your gearing (32x18 in my case), the ideal chainstay length is 17.1. That means the sovereign's stays range is too short/too long because if we remove a link, we're down to 16.1. In this case, do ppl just change their gear ratio (maybe 34x18) so the ideal length falls in the range? or use a half link? Or are most horizontal dropout slots > 1 inch?
    Your reasoning is wrong. Removing a link doesn't change the CS length by 1", it's more like .5", because there are two runs of chain that get shortened, and also the chain isn't perfectly parallel to the ground.

    You can also use a half link to make the disparity even smaller.

  33. #33
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Your reasoning is wrong. Removing a link doesn't change the CS length by 1", it's more like .5", because there are two runs of chain that get shortened, and also the chain isn't perfectly parallel to the ground.

    You can also use a half link to make the disparity even smaller.
    Perhaps i am visualizing this wrong, but i think each rivet is 1/2 inch apart (i don't have my bike here to check myself). So when shortening a chain, u'd have to shorten at 1" increments.
    I agree now that the chain isn't parallel to the chainstay so shortening the chain by x inches would actually bring in the position of the rear axle y inches where x > y. But i guess there's that chance that y falls outside of (16.93 - 16.22) depending on the angle of the chain relative to the stay. I was just curious if this has ever occurred to singlespeed set ups. I just want to avoid any half link/tensioners.
    Last edited by unfluid one; 02-21-2009 at 10:25 PM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    Perhaps i am visualizing this wrong, but i think each rivet is 1/2 inch apart (i don't have my bike here to check myself). So when shortening a chain, u'd have to shorten at 1" increments.
    I agree now that the chain isn't parallel to the chainstay so shortening the chain by x inches would actually bring in the position of the rear axle y inches where x > y. But i guess there's that chance that y falls outside of (16.93 - 16.22) depending on the angle of the chain relative to the stay. I was just curious if this has ever occurred to singlespeed set ups. I just want to avoid any half link/tensioners.
    Like Hardtail said, you are shortening the length of chain wrapped around the cog and ring. It is a loop and not a straight line

    If you remove a link and create a 1" gap in the top half of the chain, the bottom half of your chain can still be held tight. This means that if you move the wheel forward by the full 1" without rotating the chain at all, you would create slack in the bottom half of the chain. Instead the wheel is moved forward some percentage of the 1" to close the gap and the difference is made up by the slack this creates in the other half of the chain

    In fewer words: you could simply try thinking about it as removing a half link from the bottom half of the chain and a half link from the top half of the chain

  35. #35
    011100000110111101101111
    Reputation: unfluid one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Awwwwww snap I got it. so y < 1/2" if x = 1" so it will be covered by the max & min range of the CS. Me so dumb. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by unfluid one; 02-22-2009 at 04:19 AM.

  36. #36
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    works with Truvati's HammerSchmidt.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slyp Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    454
    Want.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I.V.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    147
    Cheers Acadian! We spoke earlier about the Sovereign size. This one on the picture is medium, right? Did you rode it with the seat that high or is it up just for the photo?

  39. #39
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Reputation: Acadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A.
    Cheers Acadian! We spoke earlier about the Sovereign size. This one on the picture is medium, right? Did you rode it with the seat that high or is it up just for the photo?
    yes that's a med.

    and yes I ride it with the seat that high unless it's a long technical descent, then I'll lower it.

    it's actually not that high..

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: I.V.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    147
    That means that the medium frame is really small. At least for a 6'2". I just want to be sure about the size. After all, this is going to be my last mtb. And what a mtb it is!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,896
    Nice, Acadian. And I can't wait to see the other new Evil models (Imp and Division). When? When?

    toby

  42. #42
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    works with Truvati's HammerSchmidt.
    lucky you
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  43. #43
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,037
    dammit. Why did I open this thread? I don't NEED another bike...

    //this may be a stupid question...but you think a 650B would fit the rear?
    Just a regular guy.

  44. #44
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    depends on which tire you run. looks like there is a lot of room there
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    49
    thats a badaz bike! when are they coming out? and any ballpark estimate of a price?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,903
    needs more rear travel

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    The HA is slacker.
    Also the CS length was adjustable from 15.7" to 16.4" and now it is from 16.22" and 16.93".

    I love my "old" Sovereign.
    The Mountain Cycle Rumble offers geometry very similar to the old Sovreign, if your interested.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    283
    Bah, tease us with pics and geo without speculation on price and US availability.

  49. #49
    Still a child inside...
    Reputation: danyiluska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    844
    works with Truvati's HammerSchmidt
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

  50. #50
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    given your gearing (32x18 in my case), the ideal chainstay length is 17.1. That means the sovereign's stays range is too short/too long because if we remove a link, we're down to 16.1. In this case, do ppl just change their gear ratio (maybe 34x18) so the ideal length falls in the range? or use a half link?
    I went for 34/19 gearing on my 2soulscycles: close enough to 32/18 and I seem to get along well with a shortish CS length.

    And, as said: one inch of chain makes about half an inch difference in CS length.

    Quote Originally Posted by accutrax
    I promise you will have fun with your 2soulscycles 41.5 ....I also wanted a sovereign and decided finally for the 41.5....
    Fun is right... I've been riding it for quite a while now.

    Here's a recent pic. Need to get those brake hoses shortened...:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •