Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Evil Sovereign is back....

I guess I am out of the loop, I hadn't picked up on hints of the line-up coming from Evil Bikes this year.
    Full lineup is right over here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    my next frame
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Doesn't look like they've changed much....which is probably a good thing.
    Lots of good options in the steel all-mountain hardtail category these days....

mtbr member
    ICSG tabs are new.

etruscan biker
    And no more Reynolds 853 tubing (this could be a good thing, if they keep the price low without adding too much weight)

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    It is an awesome frame and looks very hardcore when built up!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    looks super!
    any idea on prices?
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    The new Evil Sovereign rips! I've been testing one for a few weeks now and it makes for a super fun aggressive trail bike. it's slack and low - but not low to the extend that you keep mashing your pedals on rocks.

adjustable dropouts are nice - I run mine in the long wheelbase setting because I'm use to riding longer bikes. Makes for a much more stable bike at speeds but it's still nimble and easy to manual.

really stoked on this bike - I hadn't ridden a HT in a long while but this bike got me jazzed about riding one again.

etruscan biker
    That's gorgeous! Tell us... everything: I heard of 4 sizes instead of the old two (I hope there will be a longer seat tube for taller riders) and some geometry changes. Do you confirm that? Any hint about frame weight? Thank you.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    That's gorgeous! Tell us... everything: I heard of 4 sizes instead of the old two (I hope there will be a longer seat tube for taller riders) and some geometry changes. Do you confirm that? Any hint about frame weight? Thank you.
    yes there will be 4 sizes - Small, Med, Large and XL.

one shown here is a Med with a 585mm virtual TT length.

I think my Med was around 5.8lbs but don't quote me on that one...I like my HTs to be a burly, the weight keep the bike a bit more planted when trying to carry speed through rough descents.

HT angle is around 68 degree with the Pike at full 140mm. Slack enough to add cornering stability on steeper descents, but not too slack where you can't steer through tight flat singletrack. If you're used to riding steep bikes, it will take a bit of getting used to since you need a bit more body English - but if you're used to riding bigger bikes, you'll feel right at home

etruscan biker
    Thank you very much for the info. Actually I'd love an aggressive hardtail... I was almost sold on Chromag Samurai but some issues made me delay my decisions... and, since I must wait, I can put other candidates on the plate. This one is a really awesome one

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenz0
    Thank you very much for the info. Actually I'd love an aggressive hardtail... I was almost sold on Chromag Samurai but some issues made me delay my decisions... and, since I must wait, I can put other candidates on the plate. This one is a really awesome one
    guess what other HT I own?
    Last edited by Acadian; 02-11-2009 at 09:55 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    The new Evil Sovereign rips! I've been testing one for a few weeks now and it makes for a super fun aggressive trail bike. it's slack and low - but not low to the extend that you keep mashing your pedals on rocks.
    Thats awesome, looks very nice built up.

Whats the BB height like with that build? Has the geometry changed on the newer version?

Would you offer any thoughts on the soveriegn vs. the sakura? I know the sov is beefier & heavier. Would appreciate your thoughts.

oh wow that's nice. is that a pearly white?
    So far i'm torn between this and the transAm. Seems like Evil too is venturing into the customizable graphics which is a nifty extra.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Thats awesome, looks very nice built up.

Whats the BB height like with that build? Has the geometry changed on the newer version?

Would you offer any thoughts on the soveriegn vs. the sakura? I know the sov is beefier & heavier. Would appreciate your thoughts.
    with 2.35 High Roller's the BB is just a hair over 13"

I never really rode the older Sovereign - but that's only because I wasn't keen on the geometry back then - with that said, the geo definitely changed. I can't tell you exactly what changed - but I know for sure the head angle got slacker

Yes the Sovereign is burlier than the Sakura. At 4 lbs for the frame alone, the Sakura is more of an ultra light trail bike with aggressive geometry + the Sakura does not have any ISCG tabs. IMO the Stylus is more in line with the Sovereign.

For some reason I feel a bit more confident on the Sovereign Im sure the added weigh has something to do with it, but it feels a bit more planted than the Sakura did.

mtbr member
    Acadian = LUCKY!!!

toby

Sick slack hardtail. Looks very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm in the process of building a Dialled Bikes Alpine. It is schweet!!! The welds are beautiful and the Reynolds tubes are nice. Feels light. Has ICSG tabs and will accept 3" tires. Can't wait to ride it....

I like that Evil. It's blacktastic. Beefier looking than the Alpine. Wonder how the stats stack up?
    Last edited by special red; 02-11-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Industry Loudmouth
    Here are some pics of the proto XL that I've been on for about 2 months now. As spec'd (sans bag & bottle) is 12.3kg with zero weight weenie parts (ok, I lie...I do have a Prime Aero ACE carbon extrusion spacer on there). Frame weight for the XL proto was 2739g. Eff TT is 630mm.

-ska todd
    Last edited by ska todd; 02-11-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: photobucketed

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    mmmm nice todd. in my size to boot. can't wait.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

how's the tire clearance relative to where you set the axle in the slots? Is that a pearl finish on the whites? it looks rather superb i must say.

aka baycat
    Why did I stumble across this thread...
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 02-12-2009 at 11:28 AM.

local trails rider
    Too late for me now...

I used to drool over the original Sovereign but it was too expensive and I got myself this instead:

(still a bit unfinished when I took the pic)

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    how's the tire clearance relative to where you set the axle in the slots? Is that a pearl finish on the whites? it looks rather superb i must say.
    There is a ton of clearance on there with the axle fully slammed...even more with it further back. Remember that Evil was born in the Northeast, is now Seattle based, and has a loyal following in the UK. So, we know and respect mud!

My tire is measuring 52mm at the knobs with 15mm clearance at the stays on each side.

-ska todd

any geometry or availability info for us impatient folks ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast