mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Evil D.O.C vs Evil Sovereign

I wanted an Evil Sovereign in a bad way but could not find one so I ended up going with a Blue Pig.

An Evil D.O.C (drug of choice) just came up locally and I had to buy it. At first glance (to me at least) it looks almost identical to the Sovereign but from the searching I have done it seems it was the predecesor to the Faction instead? Does anyone have any good info on these (like what year did they quit making them)? I understand they have the fancy steel in places compared to the Sovereign?

As a side note: The evil-bikes website sucks...talk about lack of useful info

Also...what is the advantage of adjustable dropouts? Off the top of my head I do not see what advantage they give...just seems like more complexity/points of failure...

Pics are here: http://www.hardknockracing.com/galle...der=/bike/evil

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ride a Sov. I've got the dropouts at the furtherest setting to help keep the front end planted on climbs. I think I've read, the longer wheelbase means faster too. Med/shorter would get you around tight corners easier, maybe & possibly easier to do manuals. The dropouts are solid & have screws to keep them from moving forward. Very simple & effective design. Plus you can singlespeed it.

Post pics of the built-up D.O.C.

Hopefully Evil will get a new site running as they seem to have big plans this year. I'd like to see a gallery of ALL of the past Evil frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is everything but wheels/tires....

Well...scratch that....the photo is uber-res and the inline image link does not work on the preview image for some reason....so I joinked the pic...

T.W.O
    Sorry to hijack your thread but how do you like the Blue Pig? Ha

mtbr member

mtbr member
    During the first round of Evil Bikes, the DOC was the less expensive version of the sovereign. The Sovereign used some type of gucci-ish steel, and the DOC was cromoly. Whoop-dee-doo. Awesome frame!!!
    The sliding dropouts are the ticket! Adjustable chainstay/wheelbase, ability to go singlespeed without the use a funky tensioner. Those dropouts are great, an excellent design, you wont have probs with it. Buy it, those DOCs are great
    bunnyhopbikes.com
    morewoodbikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Sorry to hijack your thread but how do you like the Blue Pig? Ha
    Blew my wheel budget on this DOC...so no Blue Pig love yet

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Had trouble finding one as well, sent them an e-mail & they hooked me up. Frame ships today.

The new frames have a lower BB, slacker HT & longer chain stays.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Fanatik Bikes sells Evil & offer excellant service. I bought my Sov through Fanatik.

All the xc'ers ask what brand I'm riding. Kinda funny. My Sov is pictured in the sticky hardtail thread.. Absolutely love the bike!

biking is fun
    Im about 99% sure the DOC was made for strict urban/dj riding. Not that it wouldn't work for XC though. I guess the main concern would be if you could raise the seatpost high enough and if the TT is long enough. It was a pretty popular DJ frame a few years back

The adjustable dropouts were mainly for people running them single speed. This way they could get the perfect chain tension without having to use half link chains and such. It does also give you the freedom to lengthen the wheelbase which will add stability but sacrifice some responsiveness.